• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Protestant only chit chat about anything and everything.

kmkemp

Here is the list he responded earlier with Paul (it's on page 2 so not easy to find, this thread blew up quickly):

I'm looking for quotes about;
1)Wisdom
2)The Holy spirit
3)Understanding
4)Not understanding/ignorance

I cover these following topics, quotes relating to them would be helpful:

1) Salvation
2) Eternal Salvation
3) Tithing
4) Christian are gods (covering the topic)
5) Speaking in tounges
6) The number of the beast
7) Propserity
8) THe trinity
9) Homosexuality in the Church
10)Purgatory, hell and the Lake of Fire
11) Marriage, divorce and remarriage
12) The coming of Jesus Christ and the rapture

Anything yall could help me with I would appreciate.

And sorry that I haven't come up with anything yet. The last few days have been busy ones. I am guessing you want extra-Biblical quotes of the Christian variety? Or do you also want secular quotes?

kmkemp

OK, I did a little googling and searching. I found some good material, but not all of them had to do with the four groups you mentioned. Let me know if this is the kind of stuff you are looking for...

-------------------
John D. Rockefeller: "I can think of nothing less pleasurable than a life devoted to pleasure."

Francis Bacon (1561-1626) – English statesman and leader in empirical philosophy – Author of The Advancement of Learning and Novum Organum, foundational works for the modern scientific method.

“It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy brings about man’s mind to religion: For while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them confederate and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity.” - Sir Francis Bacon

(Bacon, F. The Essays of Lord Bacon, Longman & Green, 1875, 64.)

Immanuel Kant (1724-1804) – German philosopher, scientist, and one of the greatest modern thinkers – Known for powerful works such as Critique of Pure Reason and Critique of Practical Reason.

“The sum total of all possible knowledge of God is not possible for a human being, not even through a true revelation. But it is one of the worthiest inquiries to see how far our reason can go in the knowledge of God.” - Immanuel Kant

(Kant, I. Lectures on Philosophical Theology, Cornell University Press, 1978, 23.)

Jean Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778) – French philosopher, political theorist, and primary writer during the Age of Enlightenment in Europe – Known for powerful works such as The Social Contract and Discourse on the Sciences and the Arts.

“An intelligent being, is the active principle of all things. One must have renounced all common sense to doubt it, and it is a waste of time to try to prove such self evident truth.” - Jean Jacques Rousseau

Burgelin, P. La Philosophie de l’ Existance de Jean Jacques Rousseau, Librarie Philosophique J. Vrin., 1973, 407.)

We do not see things as they are.
We see them as we are.

~ The Talmud ~

Don't believe what your eyes are telling you.
All they show is limitation.
Look with your understanding,
find out what you already know,
and you'll see the way to fly.

~ Richard Bach
(from 'Johnathan Livingstone Seagull') ~

For me, the different religions are
beautiful flowers from the same garden,
or they are branches of the same majestic tree.
Therefore, they are equally true,
though being received and interpreted
through human instruments equally imperfect.

~ Mahatma Gandhi ~

One who believes in God
can see God in the symbol of a wooden cross.
One who knows God
sees God in the wood and not the cross.

~ Author Unknown ~

Each of us is here to discover our true Self…
that essentially we are spiritual beings
who have taken manifestation in physical form…
that we‘re not human beings that have occasional spiritual experiences…
that we’re spiritual beings that have occasional human experiences.

~ Deepak Chopra ~

We turn to God for help
when our foundations are shaking,
only to learn it is God who is shaking them.

~ Charles C West ~

To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not.

-Akhenaton

Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations when you need it.

-Doug Larson

We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.

-George Bernard Shaw

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

-Socrates

Nice resource I came across (I pulled a few of these from here as well): http://www.todays-woman.net/quotes.html
-----------------------------------------------

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I'm looking for quotes about;

Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Solomon's parents loved him, therefore taught him. Wise and godly men, in every age of the world, and rank in society, agree that true wisdom consists in obedience, and is united to happiness. Get wisdom, take pains for it. Get the rule over thy corruptions; take more pains to get this than the wealth of this world. An interest in Christ's salvation is necessary. This wisdom is the one thing needful. A soul without true wisdom and grace is a dead soul. How poor, contemptible, and wretched are those, who, with all their wealth and power, die without getting understanding, without Christ, without hope, and without God.
Matthew Henry

JayHawes

Let's continuie discussion. How do you feel when you read the following:

I John 1
1jo 1:1That which was from the first, which has come to our ears, and which we have seen with our eyes, looking on it and touching it with our hands, about the Word of life

1jo 1:2(And the life was made clear to us, and we have seen it and are witnessing to it and giving you word of that eternal life which was with the Father and was seen by us);

1jo 1:3We give you word of all we have seen and everything which has come to our ears, so that you may be united with us; and we are united with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ:

1jo 1:4And we are writing these things to you so that our joy may be made complete.

1jo 1:5This is the word which came to us from him and which we give to you, that God is light and in him there is nothing dark.

1jo 1:6If we say we are joined to him, and are walking still in the dark, our words are false and our acts are untrue:

1jo 1:7But if we are walking in the light, as he is in the light, we are all united with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son makes us clean from all sin.

1jo 1:8If we say that we have no sin, we are false to ourselves and there is nothing true in us.

1jo 1:9If we say openly that we have done wrong, he is upright and true to his word, giving us forgiveness of sins and making us clean from all evil.

1jo 1:10If we say that we have no sin, we make him false and his word is not in us

nutshell

Let's continuie discussion. How do you feel when you read the following:

I John 1
1jo 1:1That which was from the first, which has come to our ears, and which we have seen with our eyes, looking on it and touching it with our hands, about the Word of life

1jo 1:2(And the life was made clear to us, and we have seen it and are witnessing to it and giving you word of that eternal life which was with the Father and was seen by us);

1jo 1:3We give you word of all we have seen and everything which has come to our ears, so that you may be united with us; and we are united with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ:

1jo 1:4And we are writing these things to you so that our joy may be made complete.

1jo 1:5This is the word which came to us from him and which we give to you, that God is light and in him there is nothing dark.

1jo 1:6If we say we are joined to him, and are walking still in the dark, our words are false and our acts are untrue:

1jo 1:7But if we are walking in the light, as he is in the light, we are all united with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son makes us clean from all sin.

1jo 1:8If we say that we have no sin, we are false to ourselves and there is nothing true in us.

1jo 1:9If we say openly that we have done wrong, he is upright and true to his word, giving us forgiveness of sins and making us clean from all evil.

1jo 1:10If we say that we have no sin, we make him false and his word is not in us

I know now I am a sinner - worthy of nothing. These verses remind me of that, but also give me the hope of Christ. In a word - I feel joy and desparation that others may come unto Christ.

Special Revelation

I know now I am a sinner - worthy of nothing. These verses remind me of that, but also give me the hope of Christ. In a word - I feel joy and desparation that others may come unto Christ.

Okay Nutshell,

I will ask you one question as a test of your sincerity, or lack of it. I believe Mormonism hinges on one claim. Do you believe Joseph Smith was a true or false prophet from God?

If you cannot say that Joseph Smith is a false prophet, I will doubt your sincerity. I may be wrong, but leaving the LDS Faith hinges on your personal revelation on the person of Joseph Smith. All Evangelicals will proclaim that Joseph Smith is a false prophet. If I believed that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, I would be a Mormon. What is your answer?

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52992

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53110

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50404

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51162

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50580&page=16

Sonic247

That's pretty cool, I'll be praying for you.

JayHawes

I would like to request prayer for Kimiah, and Robert' Earl, and Ulice, and Desmond and Keisha and Josiphine- alot of sickness and tragedy has come into my family i ask for your prayers.

God knows who they are, and what they are in need of. Just mention their names.

Mention JayHawes also.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I would like to request prayer for Kimiah, and Robert' Earl, and Ulice, and Desmond and Keisha and Josiphine- alot of sickness and tragedy has come into my family i ask for your prayers.

God knows who they are, and what they are in need of. Just mention their names.

Mention JayHawes also.

I have prayed for them brother. Hope they find the strength in Christ to endure their hardships and bring glory to God in them and if it be according to God's will I have asked that they will be healed but God's grace is sufficient for them.

Let me know if you want someone to talk to brother or if you need encouragement, just pm me or i can give you my email address if you so wish.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Matthew 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

How do you think these verses apply brethren? What reason do you think there is that Jesus commands us to first speak to a brother privatly if you find fault in him?

I think one reason is so that the enemies of the gospel are not given further ammunition to slander the faith when something can be resolved privately. You find men of God are always concerned for the glory of God's name. It is one of the ways Moses reasoned with God not to destroy the Israelites.

Another is to give the person in error a chance to repent and spare their good standing and reputation amongst the brethren so that their ministry is not ruined needlesly, especially when the brother is of a sincere heart and only wants to please God.

What are your thoughts on this? Should it always be obeyed? Isn't it the loving thing to do? Love for the brethren is how the world will know we are with Jesus Christ:

St. John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

JayHawes

I think we should do our best to try and get our relationships right. Too many times we give up on certain people and hold grudges, and barbour hate in our hearts. Jessu commands us to speak in private first so that we can get the true mative behind the discourse, and that those who are not in Christ will have gain reason to slander the faith.

Yes I think this should always be obeyed. However today, atleast here in America we dont do it, we usually solve them privily instead of taking it to the Pastor (of course I dont speak for what all Christians here do).

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I think we should do our best to try and get our relationships right.
Too true, this is vitally important. The best way to ensure this is to follow the biblical example and pattern:
Epistle to Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

Philippians 2:2-4 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

If we can take up the cross and die to self and put self last then our relationships will be very loving. We can agree tp disagree on many things, I believe our faith allows for it as it acknowledges us as imperfect - awaiting the perfect, it is only when there is dangerous false teaching that can do spritual harm to others and to the cause of Christ (spreading the gospel) that we should stand up and fight if necessary.

Too many times we give up on certain people and hold grudges, and barbour hate in our hearts.
This is very dangerous indeed and to do this si to be living contrary to the gospel, how can we even pray when we have such thoughts in our hearts?

Jessu commands us to speak in private first so that we can get the true mative behind the discourse, and that those who are not in Christ will have gain reason to slander the faith.
I agree good point, also we don't want to cause sincere brethren any undue hurt either emotionally or to their reputation.
Do you think Jesus may have had this in mind also?

Sola*5

It matters not what "christians" taught, but what scripture says. If you read scripture, which was written by the Apostles and their companions, you will learn the comcept of Eternal Salvation.

I suggest the following site.
http://www.allaboutgod.com/once-saved-always-saved.htm
#
Amen to that brother, we have no way of knowing that they wern't wrong, they wern't inspired like the apostles were, there was much false teaching in the early church which is what many of the epistles address, Paul said all those in asia have forsaken me.

JayHawes

Do you think Jesus may have had this in mind also?

Not really, Jesus didn't mind telling people like it was, and how he felt about them. Jesus at times calls the Pharisees, blind and the children of the devil....woah....he was very outspoken and strightforward. But Jesus does stress that we get our lifes right. It only comes to the point that we "bring people out" when they are willingly doing wrong and dont expect to be corrected as the Pharisees had done...they knew Jesus was from God, they just didn't want to accept him.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Not really, Jesus didn't mind telling people like it was, and how he felt about them. Jesus at times calls the Pharisees, blind and the children of the devil....woah....he was very outspoken and strightforward. But Jesus does stress that we get our lifes right. It only comes to the point that we "bring people out" when they are willingly doing wrong and dont expect to be corrected as the Pharisees had done...they knew Jesus was from God, they just didn't want to accept him.

I know but what I wrote was:

"I agree good point, also we don't want to cause sincere brethren any undue hurt either emotionally or to their reputation.
Do you think Jesus may have had this in mind also?"

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Matthew 18:15-17 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

How do you think these verses apply brethren? What reason do you think there is that Jesus commands us to first speak to a brother privatly if you find fault in him?

I think one reason is so that the enemies of the gospel are not given further ammunition to slander the faith when something can be resolved privately. You find men of God are always concerned for the glory of God's name. It is one of the ways Moses reasoned with God not to destroy the Israelites.

Another is to give the person in error a chance to repent and spare their good standing and reputation amongst the brethren so that their ministry is not ruined needlesly, especially when the brother is of a sincere heart and only wants to please God.

What are your thoughts on this? Should it always be obeyed? Isn't it the loving thing to do? Love for the brethren is how the world will know we are with Jesus Christ:

St. John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I think we have to be careful with what it means for a brother to "trespass." I think it has to do with blatant sin in a believer's life that is becoming a harmful habit. In other words, I don't think this passage is saying that every time another Christian offends me or wrongs me, I need to go and tell him/her. I also think the motive behind going needs to be the wellbeing of the person and their restoration. Which is why at first you should go privately. If they listen and repent, it goes no further. But if they refuse to listen, that's when more witnesses start to come in and so on and so forth.

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Brothers in Christ, How it has been a treat to read this thread. Let me share one of my favorite verses. Rom. 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
I don't have alot of time these days (summer) but, will definitely look in when I get a chance. God Bless.