• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Protestant only chit chat about anything and everything.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Brothers in Christ, How it has been a treat to read this thread. Let me share one of my favorite verses. Rom. 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.
I don't have alot of time these days (summer) but, will definitely look in when I get a chance. God Bless.

I'm glad you are back free4all. I love this verse too. It is a very important exhortation to live for Christ in these the last of the last days. The trumpet is going to sound soon, are you ready brethren?

Sonic247

1st Corinthians 7:29-
But this I say, brethren, the time [is] short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none; And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not; And they that use this world, as not abusing [it]: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Colossians 4:18 The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen.

Brethren can I make special mention of those who are imprisoned for Jesus' sake and who have had children taken off them and wives taken off them, who have lies told about them and suffer beatings and humiltaion daily.

Can we lift them up in prayer and follow this example of the early church when Peter was imprisoned:

Acts 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

This is so important brethen, these are members of our body, if you get your hand stuck in the door you use your other hand to pull it out. Please consider looking at persecution ministries to keep you informed so that you can pray for and encourage these holy martyrs for Jesus Christ.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16902&page=5

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Colossians 4:18 The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen.

Brethren can I make special mention of those who are imprisoned for Jesus' sake and who have had children taken off them and wives taken off them, who have lies told about them and suffer beatings and humiltaion daily.

Can we lift them up in prayer and follow this example of the early church when Peter was imprisoned:

Acts 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

This is so important brethen, these are members of our body, if you get your hand stuck in the door you use your other hand to pull it out. Please consider looking at persecution ministries to keep you informed so that you can pray for and encourage these holy martyrs for Jesus Christ.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16902&page=5

This is so important! I forget so often in the comfort of my USA home that I have brothers and sisters around the world being persecuted for proclaiming Christ. Here are two links I go to to keep updated on how to pray for them... http://www.worthynews.com/christian-news.php
http://sb.od.org/

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
This is so important! I forget so often in the comfort of my USA home that I have brothers and sisters around the world being persecuted for proclaiming Christ. Here are two links I go to to keep updated on how to pray for them... http://www.worthynews.com/christian-news.php
http://sb.od.org/

Thanks for the links sister they are brilliant, I think it is a trick of the devil making us so comfortable here, we have been hypnotized and comforted into silence. I remember feeling quite ashamed when we had an ethipoian pastor come to my church once to talk to us about what is happening there, i think this applies to us in the west:

Revelation 3:17-19 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Though i shrink from the prospect I think persecution would do the church some good here and seperate the wheat from the chaff, oh how we need a revival of love for the truth.

nutshell

Since I've grown up with the Mormon version of the KJV of the Bible, I'm wondering if I should get a new Bible as I continue my Evangelical studies. Does anyone have any recommendations?

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Since I've grown up with the Mormon version of the KJV of the Bible, I'm wondering if I should get a new Bible as I continue my Evangelical studies. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I use the New American Standard Version. It's a very literal translation from the original Greek and Hebrew.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Though i shrink from the prospect I think persecution would do the church some good here and seperate the wheat from the chaff, oh how we need a revival of love for the truth.

You're welcome. I shrink at the thought too, but also agree that we could use a wake up call. It's not pleasant, but when you think about it, what an honor to suffer for the sake of Christ!

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I thought I'd share these verse I read this morning.

Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned;
that I may make it clear in the way I ought to speak.
Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity.
Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. Col. 4:2-6

I read these verses and thought of our discussions on this site, and it encouraged and challenged me to always pray that we present the truth clearly and with grace. I'm not responsible for how people respond to truth, but I am responsible for how I present it.

English Standard Version - ESV
New American Standard Bible - NASB
New International Version - NIV
New King James Version - NKJV

Did you leave the Mormon Church to become an Evangelical Christian?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Interesting, I only know of two AV1611 & the NKJV, which one do you use across the pond?

Well the Authorised Version after 1611 has had a few different editions to correct spelling mistakes mostly and misprints and the english way of spelling was changed, also the 1611 version had the apocrypha in between the two testaments but was later removed. The version I use is identical to what the 1611 was intended to be, it has not been re-translated but the spelling mistakes and misprints have been corrected.

Here is a link which shows when it was revised after wards (John Bois was one of the original translators and a brilliant man):

Revisions:
1629, 1638 by John Bois and Samuel Ward, Cambridge
1762 by Thomas Paris, Cambridge
1769 by Benjamin Blayney, Oxford
1873 Paragraph by Scrivener, Cambridge
http://www.ccel.org/bible/kjv/preface/index.htm

and here is a link including the apocrypha (same site different link)
http://www.geocities.com/cott1388/kjv.html

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Thanks Paul - Interesting indeed! I've got some homework to do.

I use the 1873 revision which as I said before is not a re-translation and is still the same as the 1611 text apart from the spelling and printing errors are removed but I don't use anything newer than that and certainly not the westcott and hort revisons and the confusion that has ensued since then.

Have you read the full text of the translators to the reader?
http://www.ccel.org/bible/kjv/preface/pref1.htm

It's interesting how many church fathers they quote from which they also consulted for their translating as well as the previous versions such as wycliffe, tyndale, the great bible, the gothic, the old latin, the vulgate and erasmus. for they said:

"we never thought from the beginning, that we should need to make a new Trans- lation, nor yet to make of a bad one a good one, (for then the im- putation of Sixtus had been true in some sort, that our people had been fed with gall of Dragons instead of wine, with whey instead of milk but to make a good one better, or out of many good ones, one principal good one, not justly to be excepted against;"

http://www.ccel.org/bible/kjv/preface/pref10.htm

I only use the King James bible too but not the 1611 edition.

Hi Paul,

Did you know the standard english Bible during those days was a Genevia Bible and not the King James. I think the KJ was not even translated from the original languages. The Puritians brought the Genevia Bible to the United States and was the main english bible for years in the United States. As you probably know, the Genevia Bible had notes from John Calvin and other Calvinist. I heard the king didn't like the Calvinst notes on the Bible, so he created the King James arminian friendly bible. Study and seek out this information to see if what Mickey says is true.

[SIZE=-1]The Geneva Bible[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]Abbreviation:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]<A href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=innvista-20&path=tg/detail/-/0962988804/"">TGB[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Released:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1560[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Contents:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Old Testament, Apocrypha, New Testament[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Source Used:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]University of Wisconsin Press (1969)[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Location:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]<A href="http://www.uta.edu/library/">University of Texas at Arlington Library, Arlington, Texas[/SIZE]
It was translated according to the Ebreu and Greke, and conferred with the best translations in diuers langages; with the most profitable annotations vpon all the hard places, and other things of great importance as may appeare in the Epistle to the Reader. [This information appears on the title page.] There is no question that the publication of the Geneva Bible in 1560 was a landmark in the history of the English Bible. It is second in importance only to the <A href="http://www.innvista.com/culture/religion/bible/versions/kjv.htm">Authorized Version of 1611. The Geneva Bible continued to be printed until 1644, the date of the last known edition. This facsimile reproduction preserves the original marginal notes. The work was done in Geneva, Switzerland. The translators do not identify themselves anywhere in the Bible. Several persons are considered to have been involved with the work, namely, William Whittingham (general editor), Miles Coverdale, John Knox, Christopher Goodman, Anthony Gilby, Thomas Sampson, William Cole, and others. The translators were motivated to prepare a new translation because it behooved Christians to walk in the fear and love of God and this could best be done when one had knowledge of the Word of God.

[/SIZE]

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Hi Paul,

Did you know the standard english Bible during those days was a Genevia Bible and not the King James.
Yes I know this very well, the geneva was simply heavily biased.

I think the KJ was not even translated from the original languages.
It made use of many different translations including Erasmus' greek, also as it says at the front of the book:
THE HOLY BIBLE,
Conteyning the Old Testament,
AND THE NEW:

Newly Translated out of the Originall
tongues: & with the former Translations
diligently compared and revised, by his
Majesties Special Commandment.

Appointed to be read in Churches.
Imprinted at London by Robert
Barker, Printer to the Kings
most Excellent Majestie.

ANNO DOM. 1611.

The Puritians brought the Genevia Bible to the United States and was the main english bible for years in the United States. As you probably know, the Genevia Bible had notes from John Calvin and other Calvinist. I heard the king didn't like the Calvinst notes on the Bible, so he created the King James arminian friendly bible. Study and seek out this information to see if what Mickey says is true.
The King James is not arminian friendly or calvinist friendly but they simply strived for honest translation of the meaning and checked each others works several times over. This is why you get people from both sides trying to give us "the true meaning of the original greek" :rolleyes: to suport what they say. I come from neither tradition and I find my KJV doesan't push me too far in either direction. But many many calvinists have happily used the king james in years gone by.