• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Protestant only chit chat about anything and everything.

Yes I know this very well, the geneva was simply heavily biased.

It made use of many different translations including Erasmus' greek, also as it says at the front of the book:
THE HOLY BIBLE,
Conteyning the Old Testament,
AND THE NEW:

Newly Translated out of the Originall
tongues: & with the former Translations
diligently compared and revised, by his
Majesties Special Commandment.
Appointed to be read in Churches.
Imprinted at London by Robert
Barker, Printer to the Kings
most Excellent Majestie.
ANNO DOM. 1611.

The King James is not arminian friendly or calvinist friendly but they simply strived for honest translation of the meaning and checked each others works several times over. This is why you get people from both sides trying to give us "the true meaning of the original greek" :rolleyes: to suport what they say. I come from neither tradition and I find my KJV doesan't push me too far in either direction. But many many calvinists have happily used the king james in years gone by.

LOL my friend. You are neither arminian or calvinist? I think most Christian have dodged this question in their life. However, all Christians fall into one camp or the other. What's your view of original sin?

Bishka

Veteran Member
LOL my friend. You are neither arminian or calvinist? I think most Christian have dodged this question in their life. However, all Christians fall into one camp or the other. What's your view of original sin?

I believe *Paul* is a calvanist.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
What do you think of this quote from a rabbinical (albeit mystic) source based on his 2nd century writings?

240. The daily profession of unity is a meditation for the sake of knowledge and for paying attention. We have explained this meditation in many places. The daily meditation is the profession of unity in the verse, "Hear, O Yisrael (Sh'ma Yisrael), Hashem our Elohim; Hashem is One." And they are all one. Therefore He is called One. HE ASKS: There are three names here, so how are they one? We proclaim One, NAMELY "HEAR O YISRAEL, HASHEM OUR ELOHIM; HASHEM IS ONE," yet how can they be one?

241. This is made known through the vision of the Holy Spirit. They become part of the mystery of the mirror of the closed eye, to make known that the three COLUMNS ALLUDED TO IN "HASHEM OUR ELOHIM, HASHEM" are one, and this is the secret of the audible sound. Sound is one, and has three aspects - fire, air and water - which are all one in the secret of the sound. Also here, "Hashem, our Elohim; Hashem" are one. They are three aspects but are one.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
What do you think of this quote from a rabbinical (albeit mystic) source based on his 2nd century writings?

240. The daily profession of unity is a meditation for the sake of knowledge and for paying attention. We have explained this meditation in many places. The daily meditation is the profession of unity in the verse, "Hear, O Yisrael (Sh'ma Yisrael), Hashem our Elohim; Hashem is One." And they are all one. Therefore He is called One. HE ASKS: There are three names here, so how are they one? We proclaim One, NAMELY "HEAR O YISRAEL, HASHEM OUR ELOHIM; HASHEM IS ONE," yet how can they be one?

241. This is made known through the vision of the Holy Spirit. They become part of the mystery of the mirror of the closed eye, to make known that the three COLUMNS ALLUDED TO IN "HASHEM OUR ELOHIM, HASHEM" are one, and this is the secret of the audible sound. Sound is one, and has three aspects - fire, air and water - which are all one in the secret of the sound. Also here, "Hashem, our Elohim; Hashem" are one. They are three aspects but are one.

Very interesting. My question is...are they three "aspects" but are one, or are they three "persons" but are one? I think there's a difference.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Very interesting. My question is...are they three "aspects" but are one, or are they three "persons" but are one? I think there's a difference.
Oh definatly three Persons of course but it's interesting how he differentiates between the three,I have often used this text in my defense of the trinity but not in the way this rabbi does, obviously being a mystic jew he is not a good source for discerning truth but it was the way that he recognises that the shema is about unity not singularity that caught my attention.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Oh definatly three Persons of course but it's interesting how he differentiates between the three,I have often used this text in my defense of the trinity but not in the way this rabbi does, obviously being a mystic jew he is not a good source for discerning truth but it was the way that he recognises that the shema is about unity not singularity that caught my attention.

Very true. Have you heard of Ravi Zacharias? I was listening to him speak one time and he brought up the Trinity. He talked about how God is love and eternal. Then he asked, if God is love and eternal, who was he loving in eternity past before He began creating in Genesis 1? The point he was trying to make was that before God created anyone to love and have a relationship with, there was perfect love/relationship between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I thought that was an interesting observation.

SirKnight1788

ChosenKnight
So this is the place for Protestants to discuss anything?

Ok then would you agree with the view that tHe Roamn Catholic System is very much like the pagan Nimrod system of the Babylonians?

Sola*5

So this is the place for Protestants to discuss anything?

Ok then would you agree with the view that tHe Roamn Catholic System is very much like the pagan Nimrod system of the Babylonians?

If the information in the two babylons is correct then yes but that is my only knowledge on what they did ( and the short time devoted to it in genesis of course). One thing is for sure though the parralell idea of having one centre of worship united under one leader is definatly in line with todays ecumenical movement and the formation of mystery babylon.

Sola*5

Very true. Have you heard of Ravi Zacharias? I was listening to him speak one time and he brought up the Trinity. He talked about how God is love and eternal. Then he asked, if God is love and eternal, who was he loving in eternity past before He began creating in Genesis 1? The point he was trying to make was that before God created anyone to love and have a relationship with, there was perfect love/relationship between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I thought that was an interesting observation.
I have heard that before and if you think about it if God had no one to express His love with then He would have been incomplete in eternity past and created us out of a need for Himself as though He were lacking something, we know that that cannot be true.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I have heard that before and if you think about it if God had no one to express His love with then He would have been incomplete in eternity past and created us out of a need for Himself as though He were lacking something, we know that that cannot be true.

Another good point.

So are you a Spurgeon fan? I am:yes:

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I just got really excited thinking about the Lord returning. I can't wait to finally be Home!:)

Yea!! Me too!! How wonderful we will meet each other there. Who needs aeroplanes, eh?? :)
Rev. 22 v.20 " He which testifieth these things saith, surely i come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus."

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I just got really excited thinking about the Lord returning. I can't wait to finally be Home!:)

It's gonna be real soon sister, every thing is falling into place prophetically speaking for the events to occur in the 70th week culminating in the return of Jesus Christ it must be really close so the rapture is even closer, the next born again sinner could be the last one needed.

But whenever it is, it is going to be so undescribably wonderful to see Jesus face to face and to see Him receive the glory that He deserves from His creation and see His kingdom come

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I love Spurgeon, I have read so many of his books and each one has been a blessing, I also love John Bunyan, I can't get enough of reading his books and notes.

I admit, I haven't read much of Bunyan. Sad but true. I love reading C.S. Lewis. I don't agree with everything he says, but he had a great mind and a wonderful imagination.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I admit, I haven't read much of Bunyan. Sad but true. I love reading C.S. Lewis. I don't agree with everything he says, but he had a great mind and a wonderful imagination.

I find spurgeon hard to get into. Love pilgrims progress, nearly half way through it, i definately recommend it to you.
I used to like c.s. lewis, but he's got a few beliefs i dont agree with and i dont like the use of magic in his narnia books, i dont see how it has anything to do with christianity.
I love reading about missionaries, always inspiring stories.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I find spurgeon hard to get into. Love pilgrims progress, nearly half way through it, i definately recommend it to you.
I used to like c.s. lewis, but he's got a few beliefs i dont agree with and i dont like the use of magic in his narnia books, i dont see how it has anything to do with christianity.
I love reading about missionaries, always inspiring stories.

I love reading about missionaries too. I'll send you the titles of some of my favorites when I get home.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!
I love reading about missionaries too. I'll send you the titles of some of my favorites when I get home.

Cool! My favourite are Gladys Aylward,Mary Slessor and Horatio Spafford, who wasnt a missionary, but a wonderful hymn writer, i love "it is well with my soul" and after learning how he wrote it, it amazes me and inspires me so much, what a wonderful and truly devoted servant to Jesus he was.
I look forward to hearing your favourites, missus.xx

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Cool! My favourite are Gladys Aylward,Mary Slessor and Horatio Spafford, who wasnt a missionary, but a wonderful hymn writer, i love "it is well with my soul" and after learning how he wrote it, it amazes me and inspires me so much, what a wonderful and truly devoted servant to Jesus he was.
I look forward to hearing your favourites, missus.xx

Let's see...my favorites. I love Jim and Elizabeth Elliot, George Mueller, Hudson Taylor, Amy Charmichael, Patricia St. John (she also wrote wonderful Christian stories for children) ... I love Horatios Spafford too. "It is well" is one of my favorites. I love Elizabeth Prentiss's hymn "More Love to Thee, O Christ." She also wrote a book called "Stepping Heavenward" that's one of my all time favorites.