• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A priest a vegetarian?

Should priests and other such like "personnel" of churchs be vegetarians?

• No

• I don't care

• It would be for the best

• Doesn't have anything to do with anything

• Yes

• Aren't They?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jumi

There are quite a few people I wish would not do what they want. And the majority of meat eaters could easily be "cured" if they were shown how their "meat" is really done and what else they put into it. I.e. they would not want it.
There are people still living in countries where you see the live animal and it's butchered for you when you buy it or you butcher it yourself at home after. So I'm not sure if this works or it would have ended long ago.

Shushersbedamned

There are people still living in countries where you see the live animal and it's butchered for you when you buy it or you butcher it yourself at home after. So I'm not sure if this works or it would have ended long ago.
Yes. That meat is just meat. What you get in your sandwich is most likely not. And those animals are raised and treted differently as well - not necessarily better but different. It is because of the large amount that the people want to eat that makes the treatment of the animals worse. They can put to with the meat anything they want. They just lower the price and you will buy it as meat. When 70%of it is something entirely else.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Now bacon cheeseburgers, however...
Heck, even the deer come by when I am grilling on the BBQ. They are natural vegans who are still attracted to the amazing smells coming from my grill. :) I've even offered to let them sit on it on some really cold days. They just stand there and look dolefully at me....

DSC00741a.jpg

Jumi

Yes. That meat is just meat. What you get in your sandwich is most likely not. And those animals are raised and treted differently as well - not necessarily better but different. It is because of the large amount that the people want to eat that makes the treatment of the animals worse. They can put to with the meat anything they want. They just lower the price and you will buy it as meat. When 70%of it is something entirely else.
Much of food production like that. Sadly it's not just meat. It's better if we can cook for ourselves and select good ingredients.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Heck, even the deer come by when I am grilling on the BBQ. They are natural vegans who are still attracted to the amazing smells coming from my grill. :) I've even offered to let them sit on it on some really cold days. They just stand there and look dolefully at me....

DSC00741a.jpg

"Hey, what happened to those deer who used to come by?"

"No, idea... ...care for a venison burger?"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A priest, a rabbi, and a vegetarian walk into a bar, ...
Now that you have us sitting on the edge of our seats, care to finish this?

Is this the finale?

"The vegan pretty much just blabs on & on about how he's a vegan for the next hour. The end."

Seriously though, I am not a big "red meat" eater and much prefer chicken, pork and fish. I do make up my own lime-curry meatballs that serve a dual purpose for hamburgers or for spaghetti with meatballs. (They add an incredible WoW effect to spaghetti sauce. It's simply otherworldly.) I will admit that I have a weakness for fresh "New York/Strip Loins" steaks.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Much of food production like that. Sadly it's not just meat. It's better if we can cook for ourselves and select good ingredients.

Yes. I get quite tired of the moral high ground vegan/veg types for a couple of reasons. This is one of them - the production methods are the issue, not the product. Production methods mask the larger issue of human overpopulation, though. Industrialization of food is perceived as necessary to feed the human population. And they're probably right. The real long-term solution is reducing that population so traditional methods of food production can sustain the human population. Nobody wants to talk about that, much less actually do it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That's nice. The chickens thank you. I'm not really interested about your recipes.
I will attempt to remain civil. Keep that in mind. My question is why are many vegans so incredibly arrogant? (Bear in mind that the vast majority of the population does not give a fig about their supposed morally superior ranting.)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it wise not to judge folks based on the vocal ones of their ilk. There are many quiet carnivores, omnivores, herbivores and other vores that keep it to themselves. Just because one vegetarian or meat-eating sanctimonious ______ goes on some rant doesn't mean we're all like that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The rest of us are. Do continue, @YmirGF
I will say that my pork tenderloin medallion ginger stir fry is also right up there.

I am an adventurer in the kitchen and (almost) every night is a taste-bud sensation as I am always thinking of new ways to do stuff. Plus, I do not use cook books. My best meals are usually (and strangely) born on the nights where I have no idea what I am going to make. It did help that both my parents were excellent cooks in their own right. I had the good fortune of watching over many, many hours and access that data quite unconsciously.

Edit: What I mean by the last part, is when I got out on my own I discovered that I already knew how to cook because I had sat at the feet of the masters for so long and would keep them company while they prepared dishes. I loved watching my dad cut up veggies and what not for his incredible "Chinese Food" nights (which were heavenly). Though I had never attempted to cook them myself (why would I with having those two happily doing the cooking), when I did try to duplicate their efforts I automatically just tapped into the memories.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

Heck, even the deer come by when I am grilling on the BBQ.
Even deer will eat squirrel.

Anyway, I eat meat. I am also for:

- Banning "factory farming" in the sense that animals are kept in pens so they can't even move.
- Only adult animals should be slaughtered.
- Parent animals should stay with any kids until they reach adulthood.
-No ridiculousness like fattening up an animal until they can't even walk without breaking a leg.
-Vegan options should be taught in schools and be in every restaurant and grocery store.

And then the sarcastic part of me would include lessons on how plants communicate via chemical signals, likely spread by fungal colonies, and can feel pain in the sense that they react to damage and seek to avoid it.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
And the majority of meat eaters could easily be "cured" if they were shown how their "meat" is really done and what else they put into it. I.e. they would not want it.
Once in college some 'stop eating meat' student group outside the cafeteria offered people a dollar to sit down and watch a video of mass animal farms and the treatment. It was pretty awful. I still went in and ate an Italian.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I will attempt to remain civil. Keep that in mind. My question is why are many vegans so incredibly arrogant? (Bear in mind that the vast majority of the population does not give a fig about their supposed morally superior ranting.)
Honestly I think it's probably less a vegan thing and more a mindset thing. The same reason so many anti-abortion or anti death penalty advocates can come across as incredibly arrogant. They believe the wrongness of it is self-evident and that people are taking lives for selfish reasons. Think of a thing you think is unjustifiably wrong and hurtful that someone else just doesn't get. There are a couple ways you can try and convey to a person why you think it's wrong. This way is one of them. Unfortunately it's probaly the least successful way.