• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A priest a vegetarian?

Should priests and other such like "personnel" of churchs be vegetarians?

• No

• I don't care

• It would be for the best

• Doesn't have anything to do with anything

• Yes

• Aren't They?

Results are only viewable after voting.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm
Sorry. I' trying to control giggles. ..."animal meat which is produced with kindness and good sense."

Oh my.. holy ****
I know, I just sort of rolled my eyes on that one. Let's face it, we are natural born killers. We need to own it and move on.

If you're one of those poorly.educated people who thinks that the other 'free' chickens and cows are living a good life.
Hehe. I have often commented that they are just (slightly) harder to catch.

I just do the math. Here in Paradise a normal chicken costs about $8.50 CAN whereas a free-range, grain fed, poetry read chicken, who is meditated over by its owners, sells for about $25.00 CAN. Sorry, I'm just not gonna pay that for a fricken chicken. Not for something I'm gonna jam a beer can up its butt and roast on my BBQ for 90min. No way.

Last edited:

Shushersbedamned

I know, I just sort of rolled my eyes on that one. Let's face it, we are natural born killers. We need to own it and move on.

Hehe. I have often commented that they are just (slightly) harder to catch.

I just do the math. Here in Paradise a normal chicken costs about $8.50 CAN whereas a free-range, grain fed, poetry read chicken, who is meditated over by its owners, sells for about $25.00 CAN. Sorry, I'm just not gonna pay that for a fricken chicken. Not for something I'm gonna jam a beer can up its butt and roast on my BBQ for 90min. No way.
We are not natural born killers.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
History would probably disagree with you on that. Heck, you kill plants to sustain yourself (or have them killed for you). Do plants not count as living beings or is it that we are simply not used to thinking of them as such? Denial is not helpful.
Plants lack self-interest and sentience, diminishing their claim to moral consideration.

Shushersbedamned

History would probably disagree with you on that. Heck, you kill plants to sustain yourself (or have them killed for you). Do plants not count as living beings or is it that we are simply not used to thinking of them as such? Denial is not helpful.
Oh please. You're not using the correct words. And there's no such thing as 'A natural born' anything. There's no need to mutilate the English language if all you want to say is you disagree.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Plants lack self-interest and sentience, diminishing their claim to moral consideration.
How do you know they have no sentience and given how weeds take over at the drop of a hat I doubt very much they do not have a form of self-interest?

Oh please. You're not using the correct words. And there's no such thing as 'A natural born' anything. There's no need to mutilate the English language if all you want to say is you disagree.
I don't often get accused of mutilating the English language. What words would be correct to your esteemed sense of congruity? Further, I assume you think that Mozart was not a "natural born" musical genius?

(For those in the slow lane, the reference to "natural born" was a nod to the famous Tarantino movie of the same name and was not meant to be linguistically accurate and was intended, like the movie, as poetic license to convey a distinct image. Sheesh.)

Shushersbedamned

How do you know they have no sentience and given how weeds take over at the drop of a hat I doubt very much they do not have a form of self-interest?

I don't often get accused of mutilating the English language. What words would be correct to your esteemed sense of congruity? Further, I assume you think that Mozart was not a "natural born" musical genius?

(For those in the slow lane, the reference to "natural born" was a nod to the famous Tarantino movie of the same name and was not meant to be linguistically accurate and was intended, like the movie, as poetic license to convey a distinct image. Sheesh.)
A distint image. Why don't you say what you want to say with your own words?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A distint image. Why don't you say what you want to say with your own words?
You are moving rapidly towards my ignore list.

Regarding the highlighted part above. So your mangling of the English language is OK? For the record, a question is usually followed with a question mark, not a period.

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that I was being fairly direct, well, as direct as the RF rule book permits. I highly doubt that neither you nor the RF Moderation Team would look kindly on my saying precisely what I am thinking.

Shushersbedamned

You are moving rapidly towards my ignore list.

Regarding the highlighted part above. So your mangling of the English language is OK? For the record, a question is usually followed with a question mark, not a period.

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that I was being fairly direct, well, as direct as the RF rule book permits. I highly doubt that neither you nor the RF Moderation Team would look kindly on my saying precisely what I am thinking.
Shame.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
More accurately, a healthy vegetarian diet is possible; but it isn't necessary. You may be familiar with the hypothesis that we owe our big brains to the discovery of fire, which allowed much more efficient ingestion of meat when cooked. We're omnivores for good evolutionary reasons.
Good point. It doesn't take much intelligence to sneak up on a wild yam. We'd never have made it through the Pleistocene without eating meat. We're natural omnivores.
That said, morality consists in resisting our nature; of extending moral consideration far beyond our own little tribal bands.
Humane treatment of the animals we use and eat is a modern tendency which I fully support. Battery hens and locked-in pigs are shameful examples, but not the only ones.
I'm not sure it's strictly a modern sentiment. Weren't the kosher and halal regulations designed to promote humane treatment and slaughter?
But that problem should be, and is being, addressed in the First World. It doesn't dictate vegetarianism as a solution; that's simply one option and involves the paradox that if we don't eat those animals, they'll simply cease to exist except occasionally in zoos.
The animals we eat are our own creations, manufactured for one purpose. Few would be able to survive independently in the wild.
Why would we want to preserve manufactured products? Why would allowing them to die out like buggy whips be a bad thing?
Wow, there's a lot of vegan judgement being slung around... I'm a priest, and I eat meat. It's an issue not related to religion at all.
What is your function as a priest? What is your prime directive?
Do you just dispassionately enforce 'the rules,' or does your calling entail actual compassion and concern for your fellow beings.
If the latter, why would your compassion be confined to just one species?
But it's not just "life" that dictates moral consideration, its sentience and self-interest. Plants aren't sentient. They don't value their lives, they're not capable of suffering.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It would be unusual for Nature to create metabolically costly but useless features. How would sentience have been selected for? And what would prolific reproduction have to do with sentience?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Oh, so because I opened with a joke, you haven't been serious all along
Thanks clears up a lot, didn't know it was a joke. Agreed my replies were also quite dumm as a result [I just should have asked "is this a joke"]. I am not the kind of guy making jokes about these things, that's probably why it doesn't cross my mind the other makes a joke. I have to keep that in mind next time I think something is quite unrational.

I Was serious though. But to be clear:
1): "I don't believe Vegetarian diet is the best and only way for all".
2): "I don't believe Jesus is the best and only way for all".
3): "I don't believe the Bible gives us 1 truth for all"
3): "I don't believe it is smart to make those kind of statements".

Anyway thanks for all your replies. And even for making this joke [this is not a joke, to avoid misunderstanding !!!]. I learned so much from you and others in this 1 week by reading and interacting on the forum. It was like a revelation.

IMHO

Last edited:

stvdv

Shushersbedamned said:
We are not natural born killers.

YmirGF: History would probably disagree with you on that

I agree with Shushersbedamned [strange name though for lovely peace loving lady]
I believe we are Children of God, or like indian scriptures say "incarnations of the divine"
Humans killing just proves they forget their "real" nature
IMHO

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Don't forget all the animals that are killed during harvest.

Actually there have been studies that show plants do experience a degree of pain, in so far as plants can register physical distress. Plants also immediately release pheromones and distress signals to surrounding plants of their species when harmed, usually as a means to ward off insects through chemical response. That "fresh cut grass" smell that everyone loves? Distress signal. Literally the grass screaming in agony.

Ya monsters.

What is your function as a priest? What is your prime directive?
"Prime directive"? This isn't the friggin' Enterprise, Bones; I'm a priest, not a Captain.

Do you just dispassionately enforce 'the rules,' or does your calling entail actual compassion and concern for your fellow beings.
If the latter, why would your compassion be confined to just one species?
That is a lot of loaded assumption for my roles as a priest, as though the role must be either a cold unfeeling robot or a rainbow-hearted Care Bear.

I lead and officiate ritual worship and holiday observation, officiate marriage and burial, and at times offer spiritual advice. Please, do explain to me where that necessitates being so unbearably over-compassionate that I must forgo basic biology and abstain from eating meat because a bunch of insufferable vegans are trying to dictate my life?

If you want fuzzy compassion and comfort from a priest, you're looking at the wrong religion.

stvdv

You are moving rapidly towards my ignore list
But lucky for her "You are beyond the light". I love that Religion, this must be what is meant with "unconditional Love". When someone asked me first time returning from India "what did you learn", I said "I just have to be a light". I never heard of your Religion, but I guess I am already part of it.

stvdv

Heck, you kill plants to sustain yourself (or have them killed for you)
For quite a while I was concerned with this killing of plants. Thought about stopping to eat at all. Then the universe gave me a dream explaining that it has to do with hurting and being able to feel this hurting emotionally etc. Big relieve this information, really felt bad walking on grass and stuff. Ignorance can make us think and do funny. Right knowledge will solve the ignorance in a second.

stvdv

YmirGF said:

The Ragin Pagan: Don't forget all the animals that are killed during harvest
Being aware of that, maybe it's extra motivation not to kill extra. I don't say "don't eat meat". I do say "don't belittle the hurt done to animals". Just be honest. If you think hurting animals = hurting plants, then try eating humans, and feel if that's also the same [don't start with me though; try your child or wife; just read that Bible has no problem sometimes with killing children and in koran wives don't also seem a problem; but not sure if those parts should be taken literally. Just saying. It all has to do with feelings, Love and stuff.]

Last edited: