• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A brief history of the far right in America

Shaul

Premium Member
Can you point to systemic racism being perpetrated against whites from black-run government institutions? Until you can do that, you have absolutely zero point here. It is however quite easy to point out racism the other way. I think you don't understand what racism is in this country, if you think it's about black oppression of whites. That's sad you are this ignorant.
The entire Democrat party is based on racial identity politics. When Joe Biden tells Blacks if they don’t vote him then they ain’t Black, it’s obvious. The problem is you are in denial.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a quite interesting read in the light of recent events:
Home-Grown Extremism: Look to the Right

An interesting article, albeit a bit cursory and incomplete. For example, the way they jump from FDR all the way to 1987, without covering much in between, leaves quite a few gaps.

Much of American history already was right-wing from the outset. Expansionism, nationalism, racism, patriotism, capitalism - this was all part of the American mindset at the very beginning. Manifest Destiny, American Exceptionalism, the "American Dream," "America's Creed," "Arsenal of Democracy," "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave," etc. are all examples of right-wing ideals which have become part of Americana and our political consciousness today. Even liberals embrace such ideals when they wear U.S. flag pins or invoke images of America's Founders.

As I've suggested in previous threads, America had started to move away from that mindset during the 60s and 70s, putting the right-wing on the defensive. But the Democrats' abandonment of the working classes and reversal on previously held positions regarding US militarism and interventionism left an opening for a right-wing resurgence which Reagan and his followers capitalized on.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Much of American history already was right-wing from the outset. Expansionism, nationalism, racism, patriotism, capitalism - this was all part of the American mindset at the very beginning. Manifest Destiny, American Exceptionalism, the "American Dream," "America's Creed," "Arsenal of Democracy," "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave," etc. are all examples of right-wing ideals which have become part of Americana and our political consciousness today.
Some thoughts on your bringing up history....
Manifest destiny was very popular among Democrats.
Manifest destiny - Wikipedia
And even today, Democrats embrace capitalism, their
criticism of it notwithstanding. So much of what's
attributed to the far right also applies to the left.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The entire Democrat party is based on racial identity politics. When Joe Biden tells Blacks if they don’t vote him then they ain’t Black, it’s obvious. The problem is you are in denial.
The entire democratic party are white christians, by a long shot. The only party that has a racial identity problem are republicans. I'll note you've been programmed to think Democrat party = Black/brown people. You're wrong.
Do you want to compare elected officials by race in each party?
We will be able to tell which electorate supports people of color versus those that do not.

Let's do it, it'll be fun

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some thoughts on your bringing up history....
Manifest destiny was very popular among Democrats.
Manifest destiny - Wikipedia
And even today, Democrats embrace capitalism, their
criticism of it notwithstanding. So much of what's
attributed to the far right also applies to the left.

Yes, although if they embrace capitalism, militarism, and patriotism, they can't be considered "left," even if they happen to be Democrats.

Wandering Monk

The entire democratic party are white christians, by a long shot. The only party that has a racial identity problem are republicans. I'll note you've been programmed to think Democrat party = Black/brown people. You're wrong.
Do you want to compare elected officials by race in each party?
We will be able to tell which electorate supports people of color versus those that do not.

Let's do it, it'll be fun

upload_2021-1-19_7-46-53.png

What the 2020 electorate looks like by party, race and ethnicity, age, education and religion

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Many of us see Dems as left, & Pubs as right.

I'm aware of that, although it becomes problematic when attempting to define the "far" incarnations of either left or right in America. "Far left," " far right" - where do they come from? I think that there's a historical etymology that one can trace back, at least regarding the far right and its history in America. It parallels and coincides with the history of the political parties, although it doesn't fit neatly into boxes we can mark "left" or "right."

During the Civil War, both parties can be considered far-right by today's standards. The Southern Democrats, supporters of racism, slavery, and ethnic cleansing in the West, would definitely be considered "far right" today. And, the Northern Republicans, supporters of racism, corporatism, company stores, sweatshops, and ethnic cleansing in the West, would also be considered "far right" by today's standards, even despite their principled stance against slavery.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Oh that's funny, I thought they were all Jews. :D

Or do I mean muslims?

Come to think of it, Biden's a Catholic.

:confused:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are perceptions for which that is the case.

Something from the race card project ....

Blacks are more racist than whites - The Race Card Project

Racism is always a two way street.
I thought I was clear in my post I was pointing to systemic racism. That is racism that exists at the institutional level which systematically discriminates against black and brown people in this country. That is what the protests against racism following the torture and murder of George Floyd by a police officer were all about.

In this country, you do not have systemic racism aimed at whites. That goes one direction, and it is the evil descendant of the racist South, who while they lost the Civil War, instituted systemic racism in their Jim Crow laws, forcing segregation of blacks away from whites, along with terrorism of blacks through masked lynchings for blacks accused of crimes without trials.

No such racism against whites exists in this country. Have you ever seen a "blacks only" sign on black owned business, or black bus drivers instructing whites to ride in the back of the bus so their black patrons get the favored seats at the front? The list of systemic racism is long, and full of ugliness. This is the racism, and its many children you see in this country, disadvantaging people of color. That is what the protests were about.

Yes, individuals can be biased and bigoted, regardless of their skin color or ethnic backgrounds. But that is not what the protests were about. We all have biases against others in some fashion or another, by virtue of being raced in this culture. But when we refer to racism in this country, it's about institutionalized racism, not individual psychologies.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I asked can you point to systemic racism? To clarify that, can you show me any institutionalized practices that put whites at a disadvantaged position economically, where they live, what jobs they can get, dispropotionate numbers of arrests, etc?

I don't care about what you imagine is individuals saying supposedly racist or insensitive comments. I mean systemic racism.

Institutional racism - Wikipedia

Institutional racism, also known as systemic racism, is a form of racism that is embedded as normal practice within society or an organization. It can lead to such issues as discrimination in criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power, and education, among other issues.[1]
I don't believe you can. Therefore, you have no argument.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought I was clear in my post I was pointing to systemic racism. That is racism that exists at the institutional level which systematically discriminates against black and brown people in this country. That is what the protests against racism following the torture and murder of George Floyd by a police officer were all about.

In this country, you do not have systemic racism aimed at whites. That goes one direction, and it is the evil descendant of the racist South, who while they lost the Civil War, instituted systemic racism in their Jim Crow laws, forcing segregation of blacks away from whites, along with terrorism of blacks through masked lynchings for blacks accused of crimes without trials.

No such racism against whites exists in this country. Have you ever seen a "blacks only" sign on black owned business, or black bus drivers instructing whites to ride in the back of the bus so their black patrons get the favored seats at the front? The list of systemic racism is long, and full of ugliness. This is the racism, and its many children you see in this country, disadvantaging people of color. That is what the protests were about.

Yes, individuals can be biased and bigoted, regardless of their skin color or ethnic backgrounds. But that is not what the protests were about. We all have biases against others in some fashion or another, by virtue of being raced in this culture. But when we refer to racism in this country, it's about institutionalized racism, not individual psychologies.

This outlines the similar historical issues which I was addressing upthread, but this is all the more reason why it's problematic to relegate all of this to the "far right," when the moderates and liberals have been the ones in power all this time. I'm not saying the far right isn't guilty, but in order to truly solve the problem, we have to be willing to look wider than that. What people call the far right or the "alt right" today didn't just pop up out of nowhere.

That's where last year's protests and narrative fell short, since it focused mainly on symbols, images, and symptoms, while carefully avoiding addressing the root causes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What, ever?

Seeing as you cited Wikipedia...

Perhaps you should say "the perspectives of the rest of the world don't count" (sounds about right) given that:

"Liberalism in the United States... differs from liberalism worldwide..."

- Liberalism in the United States - Wikipedia

I think it varies from country to country. Even within Europe, one can see variations on the same basic theme, although my impression is that they're probably closer to each other today, with similar political movements.

History is also a factor. Liberals of today are different from liberals of 100 - 200 years ago.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member