• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

52% of US Voters are embarrassed by Trump

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The popular vote never matters, and our system was designed to specifically prevent popular votes from taking over the country. Looks like it worked, the end. Anyway, the reason why that is the case is to prevent tyranny by the majority, or people in highly populous areas who would, in effect, in a "popular vote only scenario" cancel everyone else's vote so they never have a say.

Thankfully, the founding fathers were much smarter than that.

Actually that is not why we incorporated the Electoral College, it was a compromise between people who wanted Congress to vote in the president and people who wanted the President to be voted in by popular vote. With electoral voting each state could decide how and for what reasons their electorate would vote. This way each state could either decide if they wanted their electorate to act in accordance with popular vote or something else. It was never intended as a road block to the popular vote instead it was intended to allow the states more control over the vote for president.
U. S. Electoral College, Official - What is the Electoral College?

Now-a-days however, people like you like to claim it was for this or that just to support their arguments.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
That is beyond the point. The polls were correct that there was a one percent difference plus or minus trump.

Again, it's not relevant. The system is designed so that the minority of population can overrule the majority if they vote as a block. They did this, and it's over with. As far as the electoral votes are concerned, it wasn't even close, but the popular vote would only matter if they tied. They rarely, if ever do, so... it still doesn't matter...

The continuing flow of deliciously salty liberal tears tells me he is doing a great job.

Don't worry, only 3 3/4 years until you guys get another shot ;)

They will turn around in four years when they realize Obama was just a straight out corrupt tyrant. He did his best to hide the documentation, but apparently everything is coming out. :D

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Actually that is not why we incorporated the Electoral College, it was a compromise between people who wanted Congress to vote in the president and people who wanted the President to be voted in by popular vote. With electoral voting each state could decide how and for what reasons their electorate would vote. This way each state could either decide if they wanted their electorate to act in accordance with popular vote or something else. It was never intended as a road block to the popular vote instead it was intended to allow the states more control over the vote for president.
U. S. Electoral College, Official - What is the Electoral College?

Now-a-days however, people like you like to claim it was for this or that just to support their arguments.

"Hamilton and the other founders believed that the electors would be able to insure that only a qualified person becomes President. They believed that with the Electoral College no one would be able to manipulate the citizenry. It would act as check on an electorate that might be duped. Hamilton and the other founders did not trust the population to make the right choice. The founders also believed that the Electoral College had the advantage of being a group that met only once and thus could not be manipulated over time by foreign governments or others."

Why the Electoral College

Or to summarize, it was to keep the ignorant masses from pushing things down everyone's throats. :D Which is exactly what I stated, but hey... w/e

And, P.S.:

People like who? What am I supposed to be? :D I have no political affiliations whatsoever.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Again, it's not relevant. The system is designed so that the minority of population can overrule the majority if they vote as a block. They did this, and it's over with. As far as the electoral votes are concerned, it wasn't even close, but the popular vote would only matter if they tied. They rarely, if ever do, so... it still doesn't matter...

They will turn around in four years when they realize Obama was just a straight out corrupt tyrant. He did his best to hide the documentation, but apparently everything is coming out. :D

Man you really need to brush up on your American history. The multi party system was intended as a deterrent against mob rule. The fact that we only have two major parties, might even suggest the founding fathers failed in that aim.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
"Hamilton and the other founders believed that the electors would be able to insure that only a qualified person becomes President. They believed that with the Electoral College no one would be able to manipulate the citizenry. It would act as check on an electorate that might be duped. Hamilton and the other founders did not trust the population to make the right choice. The founders also believed that the Electoral College had the advantage of being a group that met only once and thus could not be manipulated over time by foreign governments or others."

Why the Electoral College

Or to summarize, it was to keep the ignorant masses from pushing things down everyone's throats. :D Which is exactly what I stated, but hey... w/e

I am not sure what you think that proves, as it was a compromise.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The polls don't care about the system, the electoral is irrelevant.

The electoral IS the system, the popular vote doesn't even count in a real sense unless there is a tie. But, it makes people feel good (or bad) I guess... :D

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The president being an idiot isn't good for anyone but it does help to show people the error of their ways. People love learning the hard way.
The issues I have with trump are not partisan. But people who disagree with me mistakenly think it to be the case.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
The electoral IS the system, the popular vote doesn't even count in a real sense unless there is a tie. But, it makes people feel good (or bad) I guess... :D

Considering most of the states cast their votes based on popular vote, it is clear that to a great extent the popular vote matters.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Considering most of the states cast their votes based on popular vote, it is clear that to a great extent the popular vote matters.
The repubs in this instance talk it up only because it benefits them. I could not imagine them being understanding if they were on the short end of it. With good reason, I am not a fan of the system across the board.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are you saying the polls represent how the electoral college will react in case of a close call. I doubt it. They were right in percentages, or wrong if they thought trump would get more votes.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The repubs in this instance talk it up only because it benefits them. I could not imagine them being understanding if they were on the short end of it. With good reason, I am not a fan of the system across the board.
Oh I totally thought an electoral upset was possible during the election, either way even, close presidential elections make it a high chance for it Especially when its just between two candidates. The polls giving either candidate a one percent advantage wouldn't make me want to call any bookies.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I don't consider myself a Republican at all, just pro-Constitution to some degree. Occasionally they line up with something I think, most of the time they do not. Anyway, how each of us personally feels about the system is irrelevant other than if we were to launch a referendum to change it. It's not perfect, but it is probably better than anyone else's in that it is still here.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I don't consider myself a Republican at all, just pro-Constitution to some degree. Occasionally they line up with something I think, most of the time they do not. Anyway, how each of us personally feels about the system is irrelevant other than if we were to launch a referendum to change it. It's not perfect, but it is probably better than anyone else's in that it is still here.

Most everyone is "pro-Constitution" . . . .:rolleyes:

The president being an idiot isn't good for anyone but it does help to show people the error of their ways. People love learning the hard way.

I agree, but not in the same context as you meant it. Trump is the reaction to a decade plus more of bleedinghearteralism (that's a word now). People(outside of California and new York anyway) have had enough, and now you get your reward.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Rrump has beaten Obama's lowest approval rating with 35%, and the majority of voters are embarrassed to call him their president.

I was embarrassed by Reagan, but now, 30 years later, nothing at all embarrasses me.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I agree, but not in the same context as you meant it. Trump is the reaction to a decade plus more of bleedinghearteralism (that's a word now). People(outside of California and new York anyway) have had enough, and now you get your reward.
Yes, the US does that back and forth stuff every four to eight years. Republican vote is a result of dissatisfaction with the former administration, I get that. Doesn't make Trump the best answer.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
The poll where people actually put their money where their mouth is

20170125_dow20k8_0.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The poll where people actually put their money where their mouth is

20170125_dow20k8_0.jpg
Shhhhhh!
You're spoiling the low grade schadenfreude.
After Hillary's entirely unexpected loss....her stolen birthright....oh, the pain!
Solace must be found.
If it's in this week's polls, so be it.
(And don't point out the fact that polls said she'd win too.)