• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

52% of US Voters are embarrassed by Trump

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The poll where people actually put their money where their mouth is

20170125_dow20k8_0.jpg

I love how the stock market suddenly matters again to people who had been assiduously ignoring its record performance during Obama's tenure.

VioletVortex

I think that some people voted for him as a joke. They had it in their head that he went going to win, so they thought it would be funny to vote for him.

I knew Trump would win all along, and I'm both satisfied and dissatisfied with the outcome.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I think that some people voted for him as a joke. They had it in their head that he went going to win, so they thought it would be funny to vote for him.

I knew Trump would win all along, and I'm both satisfied and dissatisfied with the outcome.

I personally have no opinion of Trump's performance at this moment, it's entirely too early to tell what is happening. Currently, what Obama was doing has much more relevance on the day-to-day than the fledgling administration - which basically hasn't even had time to screw anything up yet. (though, I am sure they will screw SOMETHING up... I am unaware of a single President that hasn't somehow.)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That was a statement based on fact, and I'd presume that any information from these sources is likewise tainted, and until further notice, useless. The onus is on them to redeem themselves, it's not my fault they lie. :D
Then maybe look far another poll that more goes along with what you accept? It's easy just to say "No", but maybe pick up the pace and post something that actually adds something to the discussion.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
That was a statement based on fact, and I'd presume that any information from these sources is likewise tainted, and until further notice, useless. The onus is on them to redeem themselves, it's not my fault they lie. :D
When did they ever lie? I agree, that many outlets got the outcome of the election wrong, mostly due to voters being afraid to be honest about their support for Trump. But, they didn't lie. They got it wrong.

And, with this poll, there is no likelihood of the same mistake. Sure, people might not be up front about supporting Trump, but they won't go far enough to say that they are embarrassed to have him as our president. It wouldn't make sense for Trump supporters to lie like that.

You do understand that lying involves knowing that what you are saying is false, right? Like Trump's claim that Obama illegally wiretapped Trump Tower during the election or that 3-5 million people voted illegally for Hillary Clinton costing him the popular vote ... those are lies. Getting poll predictions wrong is in no way lying.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The continuing flow of deliciously salty liberal tears tells me he is doing a great job.

Don't worry, only 3 3/4 years until you guys get another shot ;)
Now it's a mixture of liberal, conservative, and moderate tears ... the vast majority of the country actually. Not a good sign for the worst President of my lifetime. Kinda crazy it hasn't even been 100 days yet.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
They will turn around in four years when they realize Obama was just a straight out corrupt tyrant. He did his best to hide the documentation, but apparently everything is coming out. :D
Nothing has come out pointing to illegal activity from Obama, so what are you referring to?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I agree, but not in the same context as you meant it. Trump is the reaction to a decade plus more of bleedinghearteralism (that's a word now). People(outside of California and new York anyway) have had enough, and now you get your reward.
Well, the reason I am embarrassed by Trump has nothing to do with him being a Republican (which I'm not sure that he actually is ... not sure that he has any original thoughts whatsoever). His behavior is what makes me cringe. He's a childish buffoon who sounds like an idiot when he opens his mouth.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Shhhhhh!
You're spoiling the low grade schadenfreude.
After Hillary's entirely unexpected loss....her stolen birthright....oh, the pain!
Solace must be found.
If it's in this week's polls, so be it.
(And don't point out the fact that polls said she'd win too.)

ha ha Yes, It had to be pretty traumatic for some, and I'd rather they take solace in more fake polls and late night TV, than rioting in the streets.

On the other hand I think many more were secretly relieved than let on, including Hillary herself to some extent, she didn't have the energy to campaign, far less do the job...

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I love how the stock market suddenly matters again to people who had been assiduously ignoring its record performance during Obama's tenure.

The same period, the couple of days after Obama was elected, was the biggest drop in the history of the Dow, Bush's fault of course!

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The same period, the couple of days after Obama was elected, was the biggest drop in the history of the Dow, Bush's fault of course!
What's your point? The economy doesn't turn on a dime just because someone gets elected. There's a lot of inertia there.

The economic crash of 2008 wasn't entirely President Bush's fault, but it did occur under his watch and certainly can't be blamed on Obama. Likewise, Trump can't take credit for the high stock market because that's been the trend for the last 8 years. (Also note: the stock market likely would have shot up regardless who got elected; it had been slightly depressed in 2016 just because of uncertainty. Once the uncertainty is removed, either way, the market is happier. )

Which still has little to do with my point, which was that Republicans and conservatives have been ignoring any and all signs of our strengthening economy under Obama, including and especially the record stock market gains that occurred. It's funny that ya'll are interested again.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Of course the great recession was Bush's fault. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that all of the causes took place before Obama took office. Have you seen the Big Short?!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Of course the great recession was Bush's fault. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that all of the causes took place before Obama took office. Have you seen the Big Short?!

So the dow just waited until Obama's arrival to suddenly be affected by Bush and take a historic plunge? that's interesting spin

But there is a reason they call it a 'futures market' the whole point is to trade ahead of the events themselves, not trail them by years!

But it wasn't just the stock market Obama crashed
When employers suddenly stop employing, lenders stop lending, investors stop investing, money flees from businesses to commodities... You tell me, do you think that's fear of the past, or fear of the future?

we see the exact opposite happening now.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
So the dow just waited until Obama's arrival to suddenly be affected by Bush and take a historic plunge? that's interesting spin

But there is a reason they call it a 'futures market' the whole point is to trade ahead of the events themselves, not trail them by years!

When employers suddenly stop employing, lenders stop lending, investors stop investing, money flees from businesses to commodities... You tell me, do you think that's fear of the past, or fear of the future?

So, I guess you missed the whole housing market bubble that caused the great recession? It can't be blamed completely on Bush, but it certainly wasn't Obama's doing. He was not in office when all of the causes of the great recession caused the market to fall apart.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

How could you possibly blame Obama for the great recession when it started in 2007?!

Here's what actually caused the great recession, starting with the subprime mortgage crisis in 2007 (BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE!). Causes of the Great Recession - Wikipedia

Many factors directly and indirectly caused the Great Recession (which started in 2007 with the US subprime mortgage crisis), with experts and economists placing different weights on particular causes.

Major causes of the initial subprime mortgage crisis and following recession include: International trade imbalances and lax lending standards contributing to high levels of developed country household debt and real-estate bubbles that have since burst; U.S. government housing policies; and limited regulation of non-depository financial institutions. Once the recession began, various responses were attempted with different degrees of success. These included fiscal policies of governments; monetary policies of central banks; measures designed to help indebted consumers refinance their mortgage debt; and inconsistent approaches used by nations to bail out troubled banking industries and private bondholders, assuming private debt burdens or socializing losses.

One narrative describing the causes of the crisis begins with the significant increase in savings available for investment during the 2000–2007 period when the global pool of fixed-income securities increased from approximately $36 trillion in 2000 to $80 trillion by 2007. This "Giant Pool of Money" increased as savings from high-growth developing nations entered global capital markets. Investors searching for higher yields than those offered by U.S. Treasury bonds sought alternatives globally.[1]