• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 US murder rate on track for largest one year drop in five years

Shaul

Premium Member
The murder rate in the United States in 2018 is on track for the largest one-year drop in five years.

The numbers obviously aren’t final, and the F.B.I. won’t formally report 2018’s murder figures until September 2019.

But based on a comparison of 2017 data and 2018 data for 66 large American cities (population over 250,000), we can observe the trend as it is occurring and offer a reasonable forecast. (The 2018 data I’ve collected is available here).

Murder rose 23 percent nationally between 2014 and 2016 before leveling off in 2017. Major increases in murder in Chicago and Baltimore received much of the national attention, but the increase occurred throughout the country.

U.S. Murder Rate for 2018 Is on Track for a Big Drop

Good news. I’ll take it.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The murder rate in the United States in 2018 is on track for the largest one-year drop in five years.

The numbers obviously aren’t final, and the F.B.I. won’t formally report 2018’s murder figures until September 2019.

But based on a comparison of 2017 data and 2018 data for 66 large American cities (population over 250,000), we can observe the trend as it is occurring and offer a reasonable forecast. (The 2018 data I’ve collected is available here).

Murder rose 23 percent nationally between 2014 and 2016 before leveling off in 2017. Major increases in murder in Chicago and Baltimore received much of the national attention, but the increase occurred throughout the country.

Good news. I’ll take it.
Recent data suggests violent crimes are declining, happy to see this trend continue. Thanks for sharing!

spirit_of_dawn

Good news. I’ll take it.

But there has to be a good reason for this, right?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I tend to think more emphasis on "community policing" and more extensive technology, ranging from more use of cameras, home protection devices and d.n.a. testing for examples, is helping. Studies have shown that the greater chance of getting caught is more preventative than longer sentences.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Good news. I’ll take it.
Fascinating....
All the talk of violence, revolution, terrorism, & such.
Yet by one measure, we're becoming better.
That's OK.