• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12 Months of Religion/ Advice needed

Scott.Martin

Hello all, this is my second time typing this out as it didnt post the first time... :(

Well to begin I posted an introduction as I just joined but I am about to begin a spiritual journey, and I have no clue where it will take me.

I was raised Catholic, but over the past five to ten years I have considered myself after deep thought to be Agnostic. (Not to be confused with Atheism) To be Atheist is to have a specific belief, but I believe that no one truly knows so why act like it? Well my spiritual journey is going to be 12 months. For every month starting October 1st I am going to completely enthrall myself into a religion. I will practice as they do, and essentially try and believe as they do all whilst completing their daily and weekly rituals.

I do need help though. I am going into this 100% blind, and I would have it no other way. I am not sure what 12 religions I should even practice. But here this now, I am not looking for debates on which religions are better, I just want the broadest spectrum of religions there are.

I grew up Catholic, so I need not contribute a month to that faith as my comparisons will most likely center that. I have interest in pursuing Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Scientology, Islam, and I really have no clue after that. And I imagine these can be broad amongst themselves, so any direction would be appreciated. Now I am looking to 100% stay out of political affairs regarding these religions, as I want to understand the fundamental roots on which these religions are based. I am hoping that I can find a better understanding of the world. My initial opinion on this is that I won't, but I do want to experience the world in a different way. I would like to also represent as much of the world as possible during this quest, I just need more religions to work with....

As I mentioned earlier any help is appreciated and I hope to spark an intelligent conversation, not radicals for any faith trying to tell me how it is...

xkatz

My two best pieces of advice are take your time, and know all the facts. I understand how you probably feel right now, I was recently on the same journey you were :)

Also, we have a Seeker DIR, so check that out too.

Scott.Martin

Here is a better prospective list, but I am not sure if there are any that are too related that it would be silly to pursue both, and I am sure there are some missing but I need to narrow this down, whether I add more after narrowing that will come in time.

List of prospective religions:

1: Judaism
2: Buddhism
3: Hinduism
4: Scientology
5: Islam
6: Ba’hai
7: Confucianism
8: Deism
9: Hare Krishna
10: Jainism
11: Jehovah’s Witness
12: Rastafari
13: Shinto
14: Taoism
15: Wicca

Even if someone could help me with some definites, that would be great too!

Again thanks for your help in advance!

xkatz

Here is a better prospective list, but I am not sure if there are any that are too related that it would be silly to pursue both, and I am sure there are some missing but I need to narrow this down, whether I add more after narrowing that will come in time.

List of prospective religions:

1: Judaism
2: Buddhism
3: Hinduism
4: Scientology
5: Islam
6: Ba’hai
7: Confucianism
8: Deism
9: Hare Krishna
10: Jainism
11: Jehovah’s Witness
12: Rastafari
13: Shinto
14: Taoism
15: Wicca

Interesting list. Like I said, you need to try to learn the facts and what-not about all of them.

However, I would especially careful about #4. Scientology is largely a cult that wants your $$$, I don't think it's worth looking into it IMO.

As for your other choices, you have decent range, but I think that you will have to narrow it down according to your beliefs, eventually. I would simply look in threads in all of the religious DIRs. A lot of them have that people asking questions that maybe helpful to you.

BTW, if you need help with Judaism, you can talk to me, and you might want to talk to Levite, Tarheeler (he's thinking of converting), Sunsplash (also thinking of converting), as well as any other Jewish people on RF. I would reccommend Levite though if you want a scholarly answer- He's a rabbi.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

DavyCrocket2003

Wow Man! That is ambitious! That is way cool that you are doing this. Could you please tell me what has led you to such a momentous decision as this one? Why is it so important for you to taste the essence of so many religions. (I'm not arguing with you at all. I think it's awesome. I just want to know more about this decision of yours.)

Hey, I know my judgement is biased, but I would recommend taking a look at Mormonism as a possible choice. It is definitely a Christian religion but it's founded on some pretty drastic claims that kind of set it apart from other branches of Christianity.

As you go about this journey, I think it will be hard for you to completely compartmentalize your experiences. There are many core beliefs that all religions share. I think you will begin to pick up a pattern that runs throughout the religions of the world. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Scott.Martin

xcatz: Definitely will contact them, I am considering doing Judaism as my first month. Thanks!

DavyCrockett2003: I definitely forgot Mormonism, that went through my mind early on I just forgot to list it. It's a definite possibility it will make my list. As for my decision, I have really been reading a lot lately. More than I really have in the past, and some books I have read have really opened my eyes to the hatred in the world. And not that I am even looking for the root of that, I just know that among this hatred there is definitely some good. I would like to create that "good" experience for myself. And if you knew me personally I would expect the exact same question, because I have in the past been a religion basher. I want to stray away from that because all the religion bashing I do really revolves around politics. The book I read most recently is Three Cups of Tea, which is a story about Greg Mortenson and his accomplishments in the remote areas of Pakistan. The book really goes to show that much of the portrayed hatred was portrayed poorly. Now I never really believed that everyone with the title Muslim was a terrorist, but by many Americans they are all portrayed that way. I really want to explore Islam, but I also do not want to limit myself in anyway. I have been drawn to other religions also because of the peace of mind many create such as Buddhism and Hinduism. So because of this diversity in the world that I am already drawn to, I would love to experience as much as possible of the rest that I do not know much about. This is really only the surface of my decision, it does go deeper, and I guess we will see how it all plays out....

Scott.Martin

One thing I forgot in my last post refers to Scientology. I am aware of the "leech" like mentality, and I will definitely be cautious of that. Thanks! But does anyone have any information on what Scientology relates too? Is it a Christian faith? Or is it really its own beast?

xkatz

One thing I forgot in my last post refers to Scientology. I am aware of the "leech" like mentality, and I will definitely be cautious of that. Thanks! But does anyone have any information on what Scientology relates too? Is it a Christian faith? Or is it really its own beast?

It is it's own "religion", however I feel that calling it "religion" is a misnomer b/c Scientology is based a lot on Dianetics, a book by L Ron Hubbard. Essentially it focuses on the human mind/psyche (supposedly). But, they believe some really weird things, like people have alien souls within them, among other things. The biggest warning flag though is their leader, L Ron Hubbard. He did some pretty bad things.

So basically, it's "it's own beast".

Scott.Martin

I went to find a little more info on the subject because I do not want to discriminate any religions for bad things leaders may have done. If that were the case every religion would be out of the question. But I do believe I will remove Scientology from my list, as it seems like more of a Psychology study for the future rather than an exploration into a religion. Thanks for your input xcatz!

DavyCrocket2003

Well congratulations! You have my full admiration! I totally hear you about the Islam thing. It is sad that such a beautiful religion is often so misunderstood and poorly portrayed.

Now I am no expert or anything, I am just on the journey we call life like everyone else. But I would like to offer a suggestion on how you can greatly enrich your experience. Throughout this period of time, you will learn a great many things. Very often, when we come across moral truths, they look difficult. They usually challenge us to change and grow in some way. It is much easier to just continue life as we have always known it, living in a comfortable little bubble. A part of us wants to shrink back into what we know, like, and are familiar with. It is easier to try to make the world change around us than to change ourselves. Only problem is, it doesn't work. When we take up that strategy, we put the nail in the coffin of our self growth and progression.

The single most important factor (in my opinion) affecting the light and knowledge that we gain is what we do with it. My advice to you, me, and everyone else is this. Don't be afraid of doing what is right. Don't ever hesitate to take hold of something good and true. If you run into something that seems hard, yet you know is good, do it. Live it. Become it. If you promise to yourself that you will accept and assimilate as best you can every good thing that you encounter (with regards to character, values, etc.), it will open up an absolute floodgate of light and knowledge. It is amazing! The truth is all around us. We just need to open our eyes to see and our ears to hear.
I made this my rule, when the Lord commands, do it.
Or I might add, for those who don't believe in God, when Truth commands, do it.

*DISCLAIMER The above sermon is directed at me as much as anyone else.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Don't forget the Left Hand Path.:no:

Perhaps LaVeyan Satanism?
(I'd suggest Setianism instead,
but it might take you all month
just to figure out what it is.......:rolleyes:)

BruceDLimber

I'm not entirely sure what you expect that technique to accomplish, but one you might want to look into is the Baha'i Faith.

You may find listings for in in the White Pages, and can definitely find area Baha'is (in the US) by phoning 1-800-22-UNITE. If you like, the folks there will also be happy to send you free literature.

Good hunting! :)

Bruce

Scott.Martin

Ba'hai is definitely on my list, and I will definitely practice that faith. I think I am going to postpone until the new year though and start January 1st. I want to plan this really well, and take holidays into consideration for when I try a religion. As for what I am trying to accomplish, I cant really say. It will be a personal spiritual journey for myself, but I am not doing this for any specific causes. I want to do my best to experience other cultures within my own. If I had the money I would travel to those parts of the world to really enthrall myself into this, but that is not really possible being my bank account is rather small... ;) I just really want to open my mind, and I guess that would be my main reasoning.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
H
Well to begin I posted an introduction as I just joined but I am about to begin a spiritual journey, and I have no clue where it will take me.

As I mentioned earlier any help is appreciated and I hope to spark an intelligent conversation, not radicals for any faith trying to tell me how it is...

Try this out and see what you think....

Belief-O-Matic

May it help in your quest.

:namaste
SageTree

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Super neat. I would add LDS and subtract Scientology. Why take a chance? Also, this is a bit weird, but how about adding atheism? I'm sure we could come up with some way for you to "practice" Atheism for a month.

BruceDLimber

Hi again! :)

If it'll help, there are major Baha'i holy days coming up on October 19/20 and November 11/12.

The next one will be our New Year on March 20/21 (which also ends our annual Fast, so it's likely to include quite a dinner), and then a group of them April 20-21 through May 1/2.

Like the other Abrahamic religions, our day begins at sunset; hence the date-spans listed above: an event may fall on either date.

Enjoy! :)

Bruce

Starsoul

Truth
Ba'hai is definitely on my list, and I will definitely practice that faith. I think I am going to postpone until the new year though and start January 1st. I want to plan this really well, and take holidays into consideration for when I try a religion. As for what I am trying to accomplish, I cant really say. It will be a personal spiritual journey for myself, but I am not doing this for any specific causes. I want to do my best to experience other cultures within my own. If I had the money I would travel to those parts of the world to really enthrall myself into this, but that is not really possible being my bank account is rather small... ;) I just really want to open my mind, and I guess that would be my main reasoning.

We all wish you the best of luck and best of faith in your search for the truth :) I hope you would be sharing your journey with us when you finally reach your destination :)

And If you are looking for anyone to find out about Islam, I can offer some help regarding who to contact. May God bless you :)