• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 Questions

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I found this page of Christian Answers.Net that says “If you are an atheist, a materialist, a pantheist, or a naturalist, try to answer the following 11 questions.” So I decided to give it a go. Anyone else can give your own answers, if you want.

1. "If all of life is meaningless, and ultimately absurd , why bother to march straight forward, why stand in the queue as though life as a whole makes sense?" —Francis Schaeffer, The God Who Is There

What else am I going to do? I am alive so I might as well go with it and try to find some things to enjoy, and create goals to give me something to strive for while I’m still alive.

2. If everyone completely passes out of existence when they die, what ultimate meaning has life? Even if a man's life is important because of his influence on others or by his effect on the course of history, of what ultimate significance is that if there is no immortality and all other lives, events, and even history itself is ultimately meaningless?

That’s more than one question. First, life has no ultimate meaning beyond simply existing. Each individual can create her own purpose in life. Second, why does it have to be more important than that? It is significant because a person’s life has importance while the person is alive because that’s the only life that person will have. A man’s life is important not just because it is the only life he gets, but also because it effects other people’s single chance at life.

3. Suppose the universe had never existed. Apart form God, what ultimate difference would that make?

None, except that nothing would have existed.

4. In a universe without God or immortality, how is mankind ultimately different from a swarm of mosquitoes or a barnyard of pigs?

By the time the whole world is dead and gone, mankind is not different. Everything will be gone. But mankind is different while we are still alive. Humans are able to create a deeper meaning to life for themselves.

5. What viable basis exists for justice or law if man is nothing but a sophisticated, programmed machine?

We all have to live together on the same planet and we all want to live full and rich lives.

6. Why does research, discovery, diplomacy, art, music, sacrifice, compassion, feelings of love, or affectionate and caring relationships mean anything if it all ultimately comes to naught anyway?

Because it makes life that much better and worth living before it ends.

7.Without absolute morals, what ultimate difference is there between Saddam Hussein and Billy Graham?

Like my answer to question number 2, people’s behavior effects other people while they are living the only life they get. Nobody wants to suffer or be killed. It doesn’t matter if everything will be gone I a thousand years, we’re alive now and anything that benefits people’s lives is good while it lasts.

8. If there is no immortality, why shouldn't all things be permitted?(Dostoyevsky)

Same thing. Why do you need immortality in order to be a good person?

9. If morality is only a relative social construct, on what basis could or should anyone ever move to interfere with cultures that practice apartheid, female circumcision, cannibalism, or ethnic cleansing?

Again, pretty much the same reason. We know that other people have the same feelings and desires as us. Being creatures capable of empathy, we desire other to live without suffering.

10. If there is no God, on what basis is there any meaning or hope for fairness, comfort, or better times?

I’ve kind of answered this question several times already. We all hope that people will learn from their mistakes so future generations can live together with minimum suffering. Because that’s what we, as living beings want.

11. Without a personal Creator-God, how are you anything other than the coincidental, purposeless miscarriage of nature, spinning round and round on a lonely planet in the blackness of space for just a little while before you and all memory of your futile, pointless, meaningless life finally blinks out forever in the endless darkness?

You and I, and everyone are no more special or important than anyone or anything else. There’s no need for a huge ego.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
The author seems determined to equate the substance of an afterlife with reality. If only our wants would materialize in the grave.

Tiberius

Not only can these questions be answered without requiring a God, but the idea that they CANNOT be answered is dependant on a flawed perception of non-theism.

"If all of life is meaningless, and ultimately absurd , why bother to march straight forward, why stand in the queue as though life as a whole makes sense?" —Francis Schaeffer, The God Who Is There

This is assuming that life is meaningless without God. That is not true, we can create our own meaning for our lives.

If everyone completely passes out of existence when they die, what ultimate meaning has life? Even if a man's life is important because of his influence on others or by his effect on the course of history, of what ultimate significance is that if there is no immortality and all other lives, events, and even history itself is ultimately meaningless?

This is assuming that there is no morality without God, and that history is meaningless.

Suppose the universe had never existed. Apart form God, what ultimate difference would that make?

This question has nothing to do with non-teistic values...

In a universe without God or immortality, how is mankind ultimately different from a swarm of mosquitoes or a barnyard of pigs?

And how would it make us different to a group of dolphins? Humans are highly social creatures, pigs aren't anywhere near as social, and mosquitos have no social structure that I know of.

What viable basis exists for justice or law if man is nothing but a sophisticated, programmed machine?

This is assuming that people are programmed, this is not true.

Why does research, discovery, diplomacy, art, music, sacrifice, compassion, feelings of love, or affectionate and caring relationships mean anything if it all ultimately comes to naught anyway?

This is assuming that there is no difference made because the end result is the same. However, a difference is made to the people who are affected by such research, discovery, diplomacy, art, music, sacrifice, compassion, feelings of love, and affectionate and caring relationships.

Without absolute morals, what ultimate difference is there between Saddam Hussein and Billy Graham?

This is assuming again that there is no morality without God.

If there is no immortality, why shouldn't all things be permitted?(Dostoyevsky)

Again, assuming that there is no morality without God.

If morality is only a relative social construct, on what basis could or should anyone ever move to interfere with cultures that practice apartheid, female circumcision, cannibalism, or ethnic cleansing?

This is assuming that people have a right to change cultures that are different to theirs. Do the tribes of New Guinea who practice cannabalism have a right to change our culture? And if they they don't have the right to change our culture, why do we have the right to change theirs?

If there is no God, on what basis is there any meaning or hope for fairness, comfort, or better times?

This is assuming God is the only basis for such things.

Without a personal Creator-God, how are you anything other than the coincidental, purposeless miscarriage of nature, spinning round and round on a lonely planet in the blackness of space for just a little while before you and all memory of your futile, pointless, meaningless life finally blinks out forever in the endless darkness?

And why is that a bad thing? Things aren't true because you don't like the idea of them being untrue.

Aasimar

Atheist
1. "If all of life is meaningless, and ultimately absurd , why bother to march straight forward, why stand in the queue as though life as a whole makes sense?" —Francis Schaeffer, The God Who Is There

I suppose that depends on what you mean by meaningless. I personally find meaning in the search for truth. I am, and that is enough. My life in and of itself is enough meaning for me.

2. If everyone completely passes out of existence when they die, what ultimate meaning has life? Even if a man's life is important because of his influence on others or by his effect on the course of history, of what ultimate significance is that if there is no immortality and all other lives, events, and even history itself is ultimately meaningless?

Again ultimate meaning? There is no ultimate meaning. Life is what it is, the universe does not care what you think. Without immortality life carries far more meaning in the now then it does with immortality.

3. Suppose the universe had never existed. Apart form God, what ultimate difference would that make?

How does one suppose the universe never existed. I suppose I wouldn't be able to suppose would I? If there hadn't ever been a universe, there would be no ultimate difference. We like ultimates in this line of questioning don't we.

4. In a universe without God or immortality, how is mankind ultimately different from a swarm of mosquitoes or a barnyard of pigs?

There's ultimate again, 4 for 4 . Mankind is different in that it possesses self-awareness. The ability to create it's own purpose. Pigs do what pigs do because of instinct. Man does what man does because of a combination of experience and rationality.

5. What viable basis exists for justice or law if man is nothing but a sophisticated, programmed machine?

I want to live, you want to live. Hmm, let's make a law that says you shouldn't kill people. Done, good reason for the law. Justice leaves mankind more time to deal with other things. I tend to not worry about getting waxed in the street, so I can worry about debating the existence of mythical beings instead of scratching out my basic existence.

6. Why does research, discovery, diplomacy, art, music, sacrifice, compassion, feelings of love, or affectionate and caring relationships mean anything if it all ultimately comes to naught anyway?

Because they are enjoyable.

7.Without absolute morals, what ultimate difference is there between Saddam Hussein and Billy Graham?

There's ultimate again. Saddam Hussein murders people, Billy Graham doesn't. According to human consensus, It's been determined that murderers are more dangerous to the rest of us then bible-thumpers (Unless the bible thumpers are also murderers, then look out!)

8. If there is no immortality, why shouldn't all things be permitted?(Dostoyevsky)

All things are permitted. There are just consequences for them. You can gut your children with a wooden spoon if you want. And your neighbors can drag you behind a truck until you die in response. Welcome to free will.

9. If morality is only a relative social construct, on what basis could or should anyone ever move to interfere with cultures that practice apartheid, female circumcision, cannibalism, or ethnic cleansing?

Depends what you mean by relative. If morality is a divine construct, on what basis would we abolish slavery or stop stoning infidels to death on the streets?

10. If there is no God, on what basis is there any meaning or hope for fairness, comfort, or better times?

What does this question even mean? You create your own comfort, you work for better times. Hope is nice, but effort is better.

11. Without a personal Creator-God, how are you anything other than the coincidental, purposeless miscarriage of nature, spinning round and round on a lonely planet in the blackness of space for just a little while before you and all memory of your futile, pointless, meaningless life finally blinks out forever in the endless darkness?

Perhaps we are exactly that, but for some reason a finite life isn't enough for some people. The mystery of life isn't enough, we want it to last forever and ever. Accept the wonder that is reality and strive to learn it, or bank all your chips on a spooky genocidal father figure.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
1. "If all of life is meaningless, and ultimately absurd, why bother to march straight forward, why stand in the queue as though life as a whole makes sense?" —Francis Schaeffer, The God Who Is There
Life, if anything has more meaning, we live for ourselves we embrace humanity not God.

There is no "Ultimate Meaning." The universe is independent of me, I have little effect on it outside my own personal world and close friends, but that is what is important to me not what effect it has on the universe.

God doesn't existed, irrelevant question.

We are just advanced forms of all other animals. We were lucky and evolution gave us brains that could create everything you see around us. We are different because of our ability to think.

So we can all live together in harmony. At least we don't need to be bribed into doing what is good.

To enrich our lives. People enjoy there things.

One is a murderer, the other is not. Would you like it if I murdered you? Again it means we can be good people without bribery that so many religious people require.

You can do anything you want, but for every action there is a reaction. We have rules to prevent anarchy and so we can all live better lives.

Morality is totally subjective, you might mind it immoral to walk naked down the street, I might not. The majority though believe in similar morals, and from this we have extracted our laws. Most of us can not sit and watch other suffer needlessly, we want to stop them because we feel it is wrong so we stand up for our beliefs

We create our own comfort, and we try always to make "better times." Hope is the feeling we have that the feeling we have won't last. Fairness can only be accomplished by the individual, to treat everyone fairly.

Welcome to reality, deal with it.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
What kind of sickness leads a person to even ask such questions? It is a sign that a real fear and loathing for life and being itself has taken grip upon a person that such a question takes on any significance at all. These questions are a sure sign of mythological dissociation, and possibley even a psychotic break.
Most are variations on this same twisted theme, though a few deserve special attention.

Suppose the universe had never existed. Apart form God, what ultimate difference would that make?

It would mean that I never had self-consciousness and therefore never used language. "The universe" exists as a function of language and words that depends on "I am" as its foundational precursor.

What viable basis exists for justice or law if man is nothing but a sophisticated, programmed machine?

What viable basis exists for justice or law if we arbitrarily choose to define it simply because we are uncomfortable with unanswered questions?

Without absolute morals, what ultimate difference is there between Saddam Hussein and Billy Graham?

Even with "absolute morals" there is no difference between Saddam Hussein and Billy Graham but one's perspective.

If there is no immortality, why shouldn't all things be permitted?(Dostoyevsky)

Whoever came up with this one needs to study Dostoevsky much more carefully. Aside from that, "morality" is the destruction of Love. Romans 7 and 8.

If morality is only a relative social construct, on what basis could or should anyone ever move to interfere with cultures that practice apartheid, female circumcision, cannibalism, or ethnic cleansing?

One should remove the plank from one's eye first. When you find someone who's managed to do that, then we can talk about fixing the world. Even if you "believe in God the Creator" as an objectified being outside of your own use of words and language, this sort of rationalized fear is easily revealed as disdain for one's own imagined Creator God. Read "Rebellion" and the "Grand Inquisitor" from The Brothers Karamazov.

Without a personal Creator-God, how are you anything other than the coincidental, purposeless miscarriage of nature, spinning round and round on a lonely planet in the blackness of space for just a little while before you and all memory of your futile, pointless, meaningless life finally blinks out forever in the endless darkness?

Whoever wrote this is in a bad place. This person hates life and necessarily hates whatever "God" they've imagined is responsible for it. The person whose "faith" hinges on asking a question like this is exhibiting nothing more than an obvious example of cognitive dissonance.

One or two minor corrections.....here we go. Now THESE are some hard-hitting questions for you atheists out there!
1. "If there is no Easter Bunny, why bother to march straight forward, why stand in the queue as though life as a whole makes sense?" —Francis Schaeffer, The God Who Is There

2. If there is no Easter Bunny, what ultimate meaning has life? Even if a man's life is important because of his influence on others or by his effect on the course of history, of what ultimate significance is that if there is no Easter Bunny?

3. Suppose the universe had never existed. Apart form the Easter Bunny, what ultimate difference would that make?

4. In a universe without the Easter Bunny, how is mankind ultimately different from a swarm of mosquitoes or a barnyard of pigs?

5. What viable basis exists for justice or law if there is no Easter Bunny?

6. Why does research, discovery, diplomacy, art, music, sacrifice, compassion, feelings of love, or affectionate and caring relationships mean anything if there is no Easter Bunny?

7.Without the Easter Bunny, what ultimate difference is there between Saddam Hussein and Billy Graham?

8. If there is no Easter Bunny, why shouldn't all things be permitted?(Dostoyevsky)

9. If there is no Easter Bunny, on what basis could or should anyone ever move to interfere with cultures that practice apartheid, female circumcision, cannibalism, or ethnic cleansing?

10. If there is no Easter Bunny, on what basis is there any meaning or hope for fairness, comfort, or better times?

11. Without an Easter Bunny, how are you anything other than the coincidental, purposeless miscarriage of nature, spinning round and round on a lonely planet in the blackness of space for just a little while before you and all memory of your futile, pointless, meaningless life finally blinks out forever in the endless darkness?

*falling to my knees, tears streaming down my face*

Forgive me, Easter Bunny! In my pride, I hardened my heart against thee. But now I am open and ready to receive your eternal chocolate. :bow:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I found this page of Christian Answers.Net that says “If you are an atheist, a materialist, a pantheist, or a naturalist, try to answer the following 11 questions.” So I decided to give it a go. Anyone else can give your own answers, if you want.

What else am I going to do? I am alive so I might as well go with it and try to find some things to enjoy, and create goals to give me something to strive for while I’m still alive.

That’s more than one question. First, life has no ultimate meaning beyond simply existing. Each individual can create her own purpose in life. Second, why does it have to be more important than that? It is significant because a person’s life has importance while the person is alive because that’s the only life that person will have. A man’s life is important not just because it is the only life he gets, but also because it effects other people’s single chance at life.

None, except that nothing would have existed.

By the time the whole world is dead and gone, mankind is not different. Everything will be gone. But mankind is different while we are still alive. Humans are able to create a deeper meaning to life for themselves.

We all have to live together on the same planet and we all want to live full and rich lives.

Because it makes life that much better and worth living before it ends.

Like my answer to question number 2, people’s behavior effects other people while they are living the only life they get. Nobody wants to suffer or be killed. It doesn’t matter if everything will be gone I a thousand years, we’re alive now and anything that benefits people’s lives is good while it lasts.

Same thing. Why do you need immortality in order to be a good person?

Again, pretty much the same reason. We know that other people have the same feelings and desires as us. Being creatures capable of empathy, we desire other to live without suffering.

I’ve kind of answered this question several times already. We all hope that people will learn from their mistakes so future generations can live together with minimum suffering. Because that’s what we, as living beings want.

You and I, and everyone are no more special or important than anyone or anything else. There’s no need for a huge ego.

The guy who came up with these questions has no appreciation for life, no love of it, and no insight into their own problems with it.

Sunstone said:
The guy who came up with these questions has no appreciation for life, no love of it, and no insight into their own problems with it.
Dear Sunstone, you've missed the point entirely. The author of these questions does have an appreciation for life, because the author believes in the Easter Bunny. The point of the questions is to show that YOU, who reject the Easter Bunny with arrogant certainty, have no appreciation for life.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Dear Sunstone, you've missed the point entirely. The author of these questions does have an appreciation for life, because the author believes in the Easter Bunny. The point of the questions is to show that YOU, who reject the Easter Bunny with arrogant certainty, have no appreciation for life.

I think you're right about that, but if the author of these questions thinks for even one moment that I'm going to buy into the notion my life has no love, joy, or happiness in it because I reject the Easter Bunny, he's going to go broke waiting for me to buy anything like that.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

BTW, just thought I'd point out that everything is permissible. 1 Cor. 6:12. ("All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.")

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'

Who is to say that atheists believe life is meaningless or that everything makes sense? Atheism is merely the lack of belief in a diety or a god, and a god does not give life meaning or make everything puzzling. That is an absurd question.

Once again, atheism is just a lack of belief in a god. It does not include the absence of an afterlife. There is no reason reincarnation is impossible when one believes in atheism. Besides, life in itself bears all of the meaning that one needs. Afterlife is a mere extension of the pleasantries. And life for us today would be nothing without the lives of others, spectacular events, or a miraculous history. And 'immortality' is just man's wishful thinking and man's greed to live forever; death isn't a bad thing.

3. Suppose the universe had never existed. Apart from God, what ultimate difference would that make?

That is a question you should ask yourself as well, for there is certainly no need for a Heaven or a Hell to make a difference in the universe.

I enjoy how you overlooked how mankind is the dominant species of the planet, which makes them very different, but in a world with 'God' I would prefer to be a mosquito on Earth than a human in Hell.

Man is not a programmed machine. I do not know where you made that assumption. Humans and machines have a vast majority of difference, the first being that man created machines.

Simply because it enrinches the experience that we have today, and makes it all the more worthwhile. This is once again the false premise that man will live forever. Why is it that great things such as research, discovery, diplomacy, art, music, sacrifice, compassion, feelings of love, or affection only matter if they last for eternity? A longing for immortality is only an inability to appreciate what one has for a limited amount of time.

Morals are not simply religious. Cavemen would not just bash open the heads of their fellow people without reason. Besides, even animals have their own less-extensive set of morals.

'If there is immortality, then why shouldn't all things be permitted?' is a much better question.

They should base it on morality, of course. What a foolish question. Lack of belief in a god (atheism) simply does not mean that one lacks ethics. Morals are not solely religious.

There is the basis of humanity, for it in essence is good and fair, contrary to the beliefs of the Bible.

I could be that exact same thing with a god. A diety does not insure anything special. So I suppose you ask yourself that question, too.

Wow, those were some pretty weak questions. I propose that they come up with another batch.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
Guys I suggest that you click on the link and look at the site a bit, it is so pathetic. In their 'Contact Us' there is a section for LDS/Mormons to seek help and convert to Christianity. How ridiculous.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
For a person who believes that life only has meaning if one believes in God, it seems to me like he's pretty miserable. Not to mention the fact that he obviously hasn't grasped the idea of non-theism, or the intricacies of ethics....

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
These answers have been great.
Perhaps someone should contact the authors of the website and direct them to this thread.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
These answers have been great.
Perhaps someone should contact the authors of the website and direct them to this thread.
I was thinking something similar. In their 'Contact Us' I couldn't find an e-mail address, but they had a postal address, so I was going to propose that we as a group come up with the best answers we can for the questions and then mail them in. What do you all think?

Aasimar

Atheist
I was thinking something similar. In their 'Contact Us' I couldn't find an e-mail address, but they had a postal address, so I was going to propose that we as a group come up with the best answers we can for the questions and then mail them in. What do you all think?

Why do I get the feeling 3-5 weeks later I would be getting a bible and a phamplet in the mail. I'm still for it though, sign me up :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Ooo, I might have to put this one in my LJ as well. :D I like questions like this.
I don't need someone to give me a grand purpose to want to live and enjoy life. I give myself my own purpose. Ultimately that purpose isn't going to matter in a million or a thousand or even a hundred years. But it is my own purpose and a reason to go through life, besides for the sheer enjoyment of it.
None. Things have significance because we make them significant.
Again, none. It's like saying "well what if you were never born?". It wouldn't matter, since you wouldn't know you weren't born.
We're marked as different by our brains, and marked as the same by our nature and genes.
I still say my "if it hurts someone, don't do it unless you absolutely have to" thing works well. It doesn't cover things like taxes and whatnot, though. Doesn't need any deity for it to work, either.
They don't, in the grand scheme of things. They matter because we give them personal significance. I'm starting to feel like a parrot. I was under the impression these would be 11 different questions. :cover:
One's a murdering dictator and the other's a crazy pastor? I dunno, if you can't see the difference between that without magic God glasses, you need help.
Because people would be hurt and sad. Just because it won't matter in a few thousand years, it doesn't make it right.
Because it hurts unwilling participants, more often than not.
That question doesn't even really make sense to me. I live without any kind of deity in my life, and I feel hope for all those things. Just because it's not going to be handed to us by a silver platter by some invisible man, that doesn't mean we can't make it ourselves.
Hey, that pretty much hit the target. :D

I've never been a fan of the idea of a big, cosmic purpose for each and every individual. We are a product of circumstances, not plan.

Lots of things are pointless that we enjoy. Eating cookies. Watching movies. Blowing bubbles. Yet we still do them, even though we know the cookies will run out and the movies will end and the bubbles will pop. The same idea behind that is why it's worth living life. We're gonna die one day, but that doesn't mean we should just throw away all the cookies and burn all the movies and pour all the bubble solution down the drain because they'll be gone one day.

A

angellous_evangellous

All this while I thought that atheists had better things to do with their time.;)