• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1000 forced conversions a year in Pakistan

Audie

Veteran Member
It seems these days to be a widespread trend. Hungary. Brazil. India. Burma. The U.S. Russia. Israel. All are seeing or have recently seen notable increases in animosity towards minorities. Mostly likely would find the Malay's are still going at the local Chinese too.
Malays, Indonesians Vietnamese, Filipinos, its the same resentment of the market dominant minority.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As for China, we all know "Chinese junk"
used to refer to a boat.
Now it means all that trash at Walmart.
"Made in China" is like a warning label.
Negative cachet.
And people don't care unless their going on about a dumb nationalist rant expecting everyone else to act to do away with the made in China and get made in America while they still do not change their buying habits.
Money talks, bull**** walks. It's very applicable to "consumer outrage," which would be better described as "lazy consumer psuedo-rage of blah."
"This salt is made in Pakistan? Someone must do something! Those poor girls and oppressive laws from that evil Pakiatan!
...Yes, I'll take a bag for my pink Pakistan salt, thank you."

Audie

Veteran Member
And people don't care unless their going on about a dumb nationalist rant expecting everyone else to act to do away with the made in China and get made in America while they still do not change their buying habits.
Money talks, bull**** walks. It's very applicable to "consumer outrage," which would be better described as "lazy consumer psuedo-rage of blah."
"This salt is made in Pakistan? Someone must do something! Those poor girls and oppressive laws from that evil Pakiatan!
...Yes, I'll take a bag for my pink Pakistan salt, thank you."
dunno what your rant is about

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Made in China" is like a warning label.
Negative cachet.

There are some quality Chinese manufactures
these days, yet if I were going to stack the odds in my favor
of obtaining the highest available quality, I
would still 'buy American' from any one of
our last remaining six factories.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Malays, Indonesians Vietnamese, Filipinos, its the same resentment of the market dominant minority.

So true. Resentment of those who are better off.
Such a common theme in history. But just try
explaining that to people who lack any historical
sense or perspective, such as the Jews.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
dunno what your rant is about

I believe @Shadow Wolf was expressing her
displeasure with the 'feel good' and gratuitous moral
outrage of so many of us these days. Specifically,
its failure to actually help any of the world's abused
and oppressed people while yet somehow managing
to stroke so many of our own egos. Ignore her. She is
obviously a deranged discontent who hates America, Hong
Kong, and the world.

PureX

Veteran Member
No one can be forced to "convert". They can only be forced to pretend to convert. Which is why doing it is so stupid.

But when humans fall into the abyss of 'force', and 'control', and that whole 'pecking order' power trip, stupid is about the best you can hope for. It more likely ends in horrific violence, mayhem, and murder. Because the aggressors can never get what they really want. And even if they had it, it wouldn't satisfy them.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The true motive for forcing someone to convert never is to 'save someone's soul' or in anyway to improve their lives. That's nearly always the excuse, but it's almost never the reason. The motives are almost invariably to silence dissent, crush alternative views, and consolidate power. Most everyone knows that on one level or another.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You could probably label pink salt "Made in Pakistan by a girl forced to marry and convert into Islam" and people largely and mostly wouldn't care.

I expect you are right. But the Woke could virtue signal by buying Morton.
Even for people who do care, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.
You could rant and rave all day about the deleterious environmental effects of plastic glitter but the truth is that the hellish conditions of mica mines are no better for alternatives. The same is true of the salt industry. Or the sugar industry. Or any industry.

'Ethical consumerism' is just a way for corporations to shift blame away from normative exploitation to a no-win, self-defeating trap for consumers who would like to see things change.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Even for people who do care, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.
You could rant and rave all day about the deleterious environmental effects of plastic glitter but the truth is that the hellish conditions of mica mines are no better for alternatives. The same is true of the salt industry. Or the sugar industry. Or any industry.

'Ethical consumerism' is just a way for corporations to shift blame away from normative exploitation to a no-win, self-defeating trap for consumers who would like to see things change.
Yup. Even if you try to avoid it, it is insanely difficult to do. Like chocolate. Tons and most of the chocolate on the market now was made possible with slave labor. Clothing? Severely exploited workers from seed planting to readying the clothes to ship here for sale. Food in general? Very likely your meal involved worker exploitation and environmental destruction at multiple points before making it to your table. Electronics we need for contemporary society? Foxconn installed suicide jump nets outside production factories.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How horrific, that should be on the United Nation's 'radar', so to speak, because there is a hauntingly dangerous religious climate brewing in today's world.
With backing the U.N. can be strengthened to go up against the corrupted religious world.
Unfortunately, I think the UN would have to spread itself way too thin to take on the many challenges throughout the planet. Trade embargoes, maybe. In situations like this, I wish the moderate folks of those same religions would step up to the plate, and put their money behind somebody that would make real changes. We hear all the time that 'this isn't the real religion'. Well, let's go out and prove it then. Make changes from within. Dreamy, sure.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yup. Even if you try to avoid it, it is insanely difficult to do. Like chocolate. Tons and most of the chocolate on the market now was made possible with slave labor. Clothing? Severely exploited workers from seed planting to readying the clothes to ship here for sale. Food in general? Very likely your meal involved worker exploitation and environmental destruction at multiple points before making it to your table. Electronics we need for contemporary society? Foxconn installed suicide jump nets outside production factories.
Jump - nets are common in stair wells in many kinds of buildings.

You've a bit unrealistically one sided view of
business / factory in Asia.

You might like to read "factory girls", about rural
girls who go to the city and work factory jobs to
Change their fate.

Its way ore varied and complex than you may think!

Disclaimer, my family is involved with factories,
but I am not trying to whitewash.

There are problems and abuses.

But people work there because they are better off than if they had no job

To boycott, say, Nike just puts poor people out ofvwork.

Audie

Veteran Member
How horrific, that should be on the United Nation's 'radar', so to speak, because there is a hauntingly dangerous religious climate brewing in today's world.
With backing the U.N. can be strengthened to go up against the corrupted religious world.

I wish

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, I think the UN would have to spread itself way too thin to take on the many challenges throughout the planet. Trade embargoes, maybe. In situations like this, I wish the moderate folks of those same religions would step up to the plate, and put their money behind somebody that would make real changes. We hear all the time that 'this isn't the real religion'. Well, let's go out and prove it then. Make changes from within. Dreamy, sure.
Very interesting reply ^above ^, but I was focused just on one of the many challenges ( corrupted religion ).
Who knows, perhaps with a bad economy that could make the $$$ wealth $$$ the world's religions have amassed look like easy taking for the political.
Perhaps easy even through the banking system.