1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured 10 laughably erroneous claims of the bible

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Jun 14, 2019.

1. MJFlores

MJFlores Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Religion:
    Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)
    I'd like to respond to your statements but I fear I would just be redundantly repeating my posts.
    And I have a hard time focusing what I should tackle since I am lost in a forest of words from Dennis Quaid to Gulliver's Travels.
    So please one at a time, then I would dance with you.
    But for now...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maximilian

Maximilian Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.

Ratings:
    +55
    Religion:
    Proud member of the International Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Wittnesses - jw.org
    If I may ask, do you have ASD?

3. Maximilian

Ratings:
    +55
    Religion:
    Proud member of the International Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Wittnesses - jw.org

It is a sincere question since it would give me context :)

But you don't have to answer if you're not comfortable discussing your ASD.

4. Darkstorn

Darkstorn This shows how unique i am.

Ratings:
    +973
    It has not been established that he has ASD.

But interesting strategy you got there: Insult and attack your opposition at every opportunity. That'll be super convincing i'm sure.

5. tas8831

tas8831 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,064
    I was/am not a big Hillary fan, but her level of corruption did not seem to involve national security for the sake of some hotel deals, purposeful politically motivated destruction of our institutions (e.g., gutting the EPA, taking Putin's side over our own intelligence agencies , etc. ), so call apples and oranges on that, but yes, a new crop of less corrupt, less extreme, less vile politicians would be nice.

• Like Like x 3
  6. tas8831

Ratings:
    +1,064
    I don't think it was written by such a being, I know it was written by numerologists and mystics in the ancient middle east. But many - many on this forum - seem to believe that the tales in the bible are the handiwork of those "inspired" by, or even dictated by, those folks.

7. Road Warrior

Road Warrior Seeking the middle path..

Ratings:
    +423
    They're both corrupt but Hillary was a very sophisticated corrupt politician who wielded a lot more power in DC than her office gave her. There were a lot of Democrat leaders happy to see her gone. In comparison, Trump is, to paraphrase Rex Tillerson, a Fracking Moron. He's an inept corrupt politician. Which one is the bigger danger?

Yes, less corrupt, less extreme, less vile politicians would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,316
    Religion:
    None
    You're probably correct. Your responses to me very well might be unaffected by what was written to you. Mine to you will always address the points you made, and will reflect that I read and understood your words. I will also tell which parts of your comment I disagree with and why. You may presume that if I don't address any given point, that I agree with it.

That's alright. Your participation isn't required. I've made my arguments. If you have no rebuttal to them, then you don't.

But you should understand that you are judged by academic debate standards.. Two dissenting parties make a case before third parties, who judge which side has prevailed based on who made the last feasible and uncontested or inadequately contested argument. Failing to effectively rebut a cogent argument is understood as a concession.

You are always welcome to take up where you dropped the ball in the past, but until you do, the matter is settled in the eyes of those who judge debating by the standards such as those used in a court of law. The last feasible argument that goes unrebutted or is unsuccessfully rebutted prevails. In a formal debate such as a political candidates' debate, the audience doesn't vote, but in court, the jury does when it gives its verdict. And they are expected to use the standards just proposed.

If the defense attorney makes a claim of innocence, the prosecutor successfully rebuts the defense - perhaps by discrediting the alibi - and presents compelling evidence and argument in support of guilt, the defense must successfully rebut the prosecutor's argument. If instead, the defense ignores all of that - maybe calls it a wall of words and indicates that the defense was overwhelmed and simply repeats what it said before unchanged as you suggested you would do, the defendant is likely to lose his case and go to prison.

You too. You're also free to belly up, but you will be judged by the same standard when you do. I wasn't expecting much more from you than this, anyway - passive-aggressive personal attacks instead of a defense of your faith-based position that calling pi 3 wasn't simply an error made by primitives that didn't understand where the stars go in the daytime.

Wouldn't one of the symptoms of ASD be the mindless and inappropriate repetition of memes such as, "do you have ASD"? How many times have we read that from you now? I've seen it three times recently. You seem to be stuck in a verbal loop, a condition psychiatrists call perseveration, which is sometimes indicative of brain disease including organic encephalopathies.

If I may ask, and I do so as a retired physician with decades of experience identifying and in some cases treating mental conditions, have you ever been hospitalized for a psychiatric condition or been placed on psychoactive pharmaceuticals? I need context to understand your verbal fixation, which can be indicative of brain disease. You may want to get an MRI.

9. Maximilian

Ratings:
    +55
    Religion:
    You're not making any sense. How was any of that supposed to answer my simple query?

10. tas8831

Ratings:
    +1,064
    We can dream, I suppose.

11. tas8831

Ratings:
    +1,064
    That is apparently the super Judeo-Christina thing to do these days...

12. Road Warrior

Road Warrior Seeking the middle path..

Ratings:
    +423
    It's a matter of voting. There's a reason why the Independents are larger as a group than either party; they feel neither party represents their interests anymore. I was a Republican for almost 4 decades before becoming a Libertarian-leaning Independent.

Please vote, but the best power a voter has to destabilize the status quo is to always vote against the incumbent unless they truly are the type of person who should be in office. Their party doesn't matter. I'll be voting against Trump in 2020. The only question for me is whether it will be for a Democrat or a Libertarian.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Anointed

The Anointed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Religion:
    biblical believer
    The creation of the firmament is associated with the placement of some sort of structure, and in some modern Bibles many modern scholars translate the Hebrew word raqia as a "dome" or "vault". The Hebrew language appears to imply that the firmament is a firm, fixed structure (FIRMament, which can now be seen as the spherical cloud of comets (Icy vault) in which our solar system was created from the solar nebula cloud (WATERS) that was divided from the greater galactic nebula cloud (WATERS).

"And God said, “Let there be lights within the firmament or vault to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also."

(Genesis 1:14-16 KJV) This verse says that the Sun, Moon, and Stars=planets of our solar system, are "within" the firmament. Therefore, the waters that are "above the firmament=dome/vault" must be above the Sun, Moon and Stars=planets of our solar system, revealing that the waters which are referred to in Psalms 148:4; "Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that [be] above the heavens," belong to the greater galactic nebula cloud which has become our Milky Way Galaxy.

The Oort cloud, or the Opik-Oort cloud, which is named after Jan Oort, is a spherical cloud that surrounds our solar system, a cloud of predominantly icy objects such as comets that are comprised of mainly hydrogen, oxygen=water, ammonia and methane, and extends up to about a light year from the sun and defines the cosmographical boundary of our Solar System and the region of the suns gravitational dominance. Here is the Firmament, the great spherical vault within which is found the sun, moons and planets of our solar system, the dome of ice above us.

Meteorites are called shooting STARS, The Evening STAR can be any planet that crosses the local meridian before mid-night, especially Mercury or Venus when either is prominent in the west shortly after sunset, Likewise the Morning STAR is a planet of our Solar System.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,606
    Religion:
    Christian
    [/QUOTE]

Did you even read it?

15. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,035
    Religion:
    Christian
    Did you even read it?[/QUOTE]
    Yep, I read it.

My question was not answered by it.

16. 12jtartar

12jtartar Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Religion:
    Christian
    Farnsworth,
    There are no untruths in God’s word, the Bible. Many of the thing stated are used the same way today as in the distant past. Remember, it was The Almighty God, Jehovah who created all things. I believe He could get a little more accurate, if He wanted to, probably so accurate, that you would again try to find some inaccuracies, because you just do not want to believe. You seem to know more than God Who created everything, and is trying to converse with almost impossibly ignorant human beings.
    Have you ever heard of the Words Accommodation, or Anthropomorphisms. God, in His infinite wisdom, is trying to reach you!!! Or what about Epistemological and Egocentric Predicament???

#216 12jtartar, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  17. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,606
    Religion:
    Christian

Maybe God should have written the Bible himself instead of using people, because people made a lot of mistakes.

#217 sooda, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,606
    Religion:
    Christian
  19. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,084
    Religion:
    Atheist
    So you are claiming that the Bible does not tell us that there was a global flood?

One of us appears to be confused.

20. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Using big words proves nothing, nor does it demonstrate intelligence. There are plenty of untruths in the bible, which, by the way, is not the word of a god. But I understand it's difficult for you to accept that there are errors in the bible. For years, I tried to defend the bible, like you, even arguing with atheists online about why the bible was the word of god. However, after studying it more carefully, I learned that the errors are undeniable.

• Like Like x 1