• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 5 issues to "fix" in the world...

cardero

Citizen Mod
Since I live in the United States I will start there.

1.Patch the crack in the Liberty Bell
2.Fill up that hole in Northern Arizona
3.Reroute the Wallkill River so that it runs in the same direction as all the others.
4.Reconstruct Mount Rushmore (those people haven’t been presidents for years)
5.Plug Up Old Faithful and entitle it Faith No More

sparc872

Alright...Just 5?

Here's mine in no specific order

1. Population growth needs to be curved
2. Provide equal healthcare to the worlds population
3. We need more sustainable ways of producing energy
4. Close the gap between rich and poor
5. Provide shelter, food, education, and clean water to all the worlds population

Gotta head to work, I'll come back and expand on this later

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Religious insanity, whether muslims in the middle east/pacific area, atheists in N.Korea, or whatever else, it needs to end...

2. The world slave trade...

3. Food shortage in third world countries...

4. Clean water in third world countries...

5. Energy, we need alternate clean energy sources...

SoliDeoGloria

since we seem to be our biggest enemy I propose

1. do away with the human race

I'm sure I'll be looked at as if I am some kind of a wacko for that one, oh well. I firmly believe that until that is done all that can be done at best is a symptom fix.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
SoliDeoGloria said:
since we seem to be our biggest enemy I propose

1. do away with the human race

I'm sure I'll be looked at as if I am some kind of a wacko for that one, oh well. I firmly believe that until that is done all that can be done at best is a symptom fix.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria
Wacko? Perhaps in the minds of some, but certainly not all. Some people pray for some foretold/impending Ragnarok or Armageddon. I don't consider these folks "wacko"; just kinda pathetic, sad, and useless in lending any meaningful solutions to problems that the rest of us must confront and remedy.

There is nothing noble, courageous, or elevating in hoping for, or anxiously awaiting some ultimate doom to befall the entirety of our species. Folks that see this outcome as the best or only "solution" to human existene are welcome to their dark fantasies and morbid timidity.

To those that don't care, or have simply given up on life or humanity, I would first counsel either spiritual guidance or professional assistance. Barring that advice, I would only say "Lead, follow, or just stay the hell out of the way of the rest of us."

There's work to be done, and fruitful lives to be led.
You certainly don't need to help.
Then again, no one need care about your useless behind either.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Nothin' crazy about that...

SoliDeoGloria

s2a said:
Wacko? Perhaps in the minds of some, but certainly not all. Some people pray for some foretold/impending Ragnarok or Armageddon. I don't consider these folks "wacko"; just kinda pathetic, sad, and useless in lending any meaningful solutions to problems that the rest of us must confront and remedy.

There is nothing noble, courageous, or elevating in hoping for, or anxiously awaiting some ultimate doom to befall the entirety of our species. Folks that see this outcome as the best or only "solution" to human existene are welcome to their dark fantasies and morbid timidity.

To those that don't care, or have simply given up on life or humanity, I would first counsel either spiritual guidance or professional assistance. Barring that advice, I would only say "Lead, follow, or just stay the hell out of the way of the rest of us."

There's work to be done, and fruitful lives to be led.
You certainly don't need to help.
Then again, no one need care about your useless behind either.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Nothin' crazy about that...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

First off I don't hope or pray for any of this. I actually kind of like living and even like my familie's existence.(2 Pet. 3:3-9)

All I have done is acknowledge the reality of the situation that has lasted since the human race began and logically realized an actual solution to the problem rather than taking the sidewalk phychiatrist appoach of handing out some happy pills for a couple of symptoms while more keep popping up due to plain ole human dispositions for the sake of looking like a good guy.

I love it when people are so willing to cure the world's ills and yet are appauled at the idea of changing themselves or their own backyard since they have it all figured out. How much does diplomacy actually effect the real world where all these attrocities mentioned are happening as I am typing these words? I wonder what their response would be to the idea that some politicians or even we are discussing their real life problems.

I also love how there are some who go the the philosophical arena's to insist that there is no such thing as absolute morality and then run to the political arena's to scream about the absolute moral violations in the world.

Sincerely,
Solideogloria

Matt88

1. Bomb Iran and North Korea back to the Stone Age if they don't get ther sh*t together
2. Wean America off oil
3. Illegal Aliens invading my homeland
4. Finish up Iraq and get our boys out of there

all i can think of right now

Reactions: s2a

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
1.No hunger in the world
2.Clean water for everyone
3.A substitute for fossil fuels
4.A 'fix' to ensure there is no form of descrimination (racial, sexual, economic)
5.A fix for overpopulation.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
1. Finding new sources of energy
2. REAL environmental issues and reform of policies
3. Hunger and poverty in our own country and in others
4. Getting our sh*t together - I truly believe that before we can really help anyone, we've got to help ourselves, and that means more help to the people in this country that need it, like the people in New orleans
5. Public education reform

Buttercup

Veteran Member
s2a said:
Observations:
Again, I confess disappointment that greater specificity was not especially lent to individually proffered "priority issues" (though some folks did, thank you). Perhaps the opportunity to do so will be engaged in the auxiliary/concomitant thread entitled "Your Top 5 legislative proposals to 'fix' the Top 5 Issues of the day" (Coming soon to an REF thread near you).

Ooops, sorry. Guess I paid more attention to enumerating than elucidating and perhaps since I was the first post to respond, others followed suit. My bad. :)

When I get back into town I will try to add more specifics to my list. Looking forward to the discussion!

9harmony

top 5:

1) Elimation of all forms of prejudice. i.e. religious, racial, social, etc. (the acceptance of the fact that we are all one race, the human race.)

2) Establishment of a World auxiliary language. (every country would keep their native tongue and also teach an agreed upon auxiliary language, then no matter where a person travels in the world they could communicate easily. it would also provide a huge economic advantage in that instructions would only have to be printed in 2 languages instead of 20)

3) Recognition of the Equality of Men and Women. Not meaning that men and women have to be able to do the same things, but rather they compliment each other, and only when we truly understand that both genders are equally important to the whole, will we truly rise to our potential as a species.

4) Education! Education! Education!

5) A new and improved UN.

Ody

The world is to absurd to make a list of this kind, picking and choosing between horrors, famine and war, not for my conscious....

s2a

Hello SoliDeoGloria,

You said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Most assuredly, with my compliments.

First off I don't hope or pray for any of this. I actually kind of like living and even like my familie's existence.(2 Pet. 3:3-9)

Matthew 24:34, Matthew 16:27-28.

All I have done is acknowledge the reality of the situation that has lasted since the human race began and logically realized an actual solution to the problem rather than taking the sidewalk phychiatrist appoach of handing out some happy pills for a couple of symptoms while more keep popping up due to plain ole human dispositions for the sake of looking like a good guy.

Isaiah 58:6-7; Deuteronomy 15:7-11

I love it when people are so willing to cure the world's ills and yet are appauled [sic] at the idea of changing themselves or their own backyard since they have it all figured out.

I'll take the flawed yet willing, over the pious and self-assured any day. Inaction and indifference is neither wise nor compassionate.

How much does diplomacy actually effect the real world where all these attrocities mentioned are happening as I am typing these words?

I don't know...maybe as much as it takes? You in a hurry to be somewhere else?
I'm willing to effort diplomacy as an alternative to war; even if your deity's "plan" may deem it necessary (or inevitable), or as some grand "learning experience".

I wonder what their response would be to the idea that some politicians or even we are discussing their real life problems.

I dunno. Perhaps, hopeful? Encouraging? Inspiring? Elevating?

"They" are already quite familiar with indifference, ignorance, and inaction. "They" are also acquainted with the timidity and fear of loss that the vast majority of people retain in preservation of their own interests (and those of their loved ones) above all other priorities.

I also love how there are some who go the the philosophical arena's to insist that there is no such thing as absolute morality...

There aren't. But morality needn't have "absolutes" to yet exist with valued ethical standards and ideals...

... and then run to the political arena's to scream about the absolute moral violations in the world.

The suggested alternative being to assert a higher ground of illumination and inspired erudition instead...in some asinine assertion that even trying to make a difference is naught but amoral vanity?

Ecclesiastes 6:12

Your commentary is noted; and as observed beforehand...to be reiterated once more...quite useless.

You are hereby invited to retain your righteous wisdom and unhelpful philosophic musings to another thread that revels in some predestined doom and gloom.

Atheists are optimists. No doubt your perspective of inspirational revelation will aid in the preservation of both yourself, and those you care about most.

s2a

Buttercup said:

Ooops, sorry. Guess I paid more attention to enumerating than elucidating and perhaps since I was the first post to respond, others followed suit. My bad.

Don't be absurd.

It was I that initially introduced the caveat that contributions could be generalized, beyond any lent specificity or detail.

My OP was available for all to consider before offering reply; you bear neither blame nor fault in the content or quality of subsequent commentaries...;-)

s2a

AlanGurvey said:
The world is to absurd to make a list of this kind, picking and choosing between horrors, famine and war, not for my conscious....
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".
- Rush

"To believe in something, and not live it, is dishonest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
1. Legalize cannabis and replace all petroleum products with hemp products.

2. Move all the people to where food and water can be found or grown, instead of taking food and water to them.

3. Instead of federal taxes, one would pay money, food, clothing, time, etc. to local families in need, and local programs (ie. teachers, doctors, etc.)

4. Have weekly Cuddle Parties in every town across the world.

5. I don't know how this could happen, but food, and medical attention, and shelter should be free to all. Anything else is a luxury, and something for each individual to strive for or not as they wish... But the basic needs should be free, as nature intended.