• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your top 5 issues to "fix" in the world...

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Here's your chance. No "push polls". No political agendas or motivations as pre-conditioned premise. No religious ideologies or dogmas as established pre-requisite.

In order of priority, please enumerate your top 5 (just five!) "issues" that should (or need) be addressed immediately. Generalities are OK (Ie., "global warming"), but specificity is preferred ("produce less-polluting cars"). Respondents are invited to qualify/support their priorities whenever appropriate/applicable.

If it is your position that America (or the world) is in some sort of decline, then (take your time) outline the top five things you deem most worthy of repair that would ultimately set aright both your nation - and the world - upon it's proper course.

[Note: I can only request that any/all prospective respondents within this thread be allowed at least 20 separate and unique contributions before specified rebuttals are tendered. Let's get a sense of how folks perceive the most critical issues of the day, before we delve into any criticism of those perceptions...OK?]

After 20 qualified and enumerated replies are offered in this thread (if we can actually accumulate that many), I will then then tender my own qualified priorities to the mix (I don't want to give any people any ideas that aren't uniquely derived on their own).

Fair debate should not ensue until there is a sufficiently diverse set of enumerated priorities presented. OK?

Addendum edit (added 05/30/06):
This thread now has a follow-up companion -
Your "Top 5" legislative proposals to "fix" the "Top 5" issues of the day...

Buttercup

Veteran Member
  • The Iraq War and effecting a viable timeline for withdrawal
  • The crisis in Darfur and what to do about it NOW
  • Alternate Energy sources for private/public transportation
  • Education Budget Reform For The Public School System
  • World Hunger Issues

Reactions: s2a

maggie2

1. intolerant religious beliefs
2. homophobia
3. hunger
4. politicians who lie and cheat
5. Darfur

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
  • Ending the blood shed in Dafur - immediate
  • Cleaning up the Environment and making positive changes in everyday living that will support a clean Environment
  • World hunger/poverty issues
  • Fostering religious tolerance and peace among all religions
  • Ending world dependance on Oil

As important as GLBT rights are to me, I do realize their are more imporant and far-reaching issues in the world.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1. Overpopulation
2. Overpopulation
3. Overpopulation
4. Overpopulation
5. Overpopulation

Almost all the planet's and mankind's problems are directly or indirectly linked to a runaway infestation of hominids.
People insist on breeding beyond the economic capacity of their regions, to the point where they must fight each other for resources, shred and denude the earth, pollute the air, water and seas, and generally make life miserable for themselves and the rest of Earth's species.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Seyorni said:
1. Overpopulation
2. Overpopulation
3. Overpopulation
4. Overpopulation
5. Overpopulation
With other words, you want to promote the war, hunger and lies the others are up against :D

Anyway, I don't think the world is in some sort of decline so...:run:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
equal rights
peoples health
environment
education system (less exams, more vocational assessment)
taxation

edit: sorry, that's only in my coutry - if you mean on an international level, same as Maize!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Bouncing Ball said:
With other words, you want to promote the war, hunger and lies the others are up against :D

Anyway, I don't think the world is in some sort of decline so...:run:

Population pressure is the cause of the problems the others mention.
And if you haven't noticed that the world is in decline you have your head in the sand.

Super Universe

Defender of God
#1) Increase the world's food supply and decrease it's price
#2) Increase the availability of clean water to people throughout the world
#3) More research and more scientific forums to find a cure for genetic diseases
#4) Replace the use of oil with renewable energy
#5) Increase the beauty of cities with more gardens and artwork. Remove the signs.

GloriaPatri

1. Poverty
2. The environment (in reference to how it's being destroyed)
3. Genocide
4. Nuclear weapons (no, I'm not talking about Iran)
5. Access to food and clean water

kevmicsmi

1). Stop fighting war with a not to lose attitude, fight to win, or dont fight at all.

2). Legalize personal choices (such as drug use, ....ie let individual states decide legality), and strengthen sentenses for violent crime, hiring of illegals, corporate crime.
3). Bring choice into schools with vouchers, allow good teachers to get paid their worth, allow bad teachers to get paid their worth.

4). Go to a straight consumption tax. This will eliminate complicated tax law, encourage businesses to keep jobs and hqs here, promote investment, and strengthen individual freedom and accountability. Along with the new, uncomplicated tax system, legalize any adult personal contractual agreement.

5).Create a federal bill calling for a mandatory balanced budget, a line item veto for a president , complete phasing out of social security over the next 30 years, and mandatory sunset provisions on all non essential federal spending.

Ok, I have about 5 more also, but these were the ones that seemed most important to me.

evearael

1) Ensure access to clean water for all... like the work of Lifewater. http://www.lifewater.org/

2) Alleviate poverty and hunger by sustainable self-sufficience that is suitable to the particulars of the environment... like the work of Heifer. http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.183217/?msource=kw52

3) Equal protection for and access to education and legal recourse for women and men. http://www.hrw.org/women/

4) Find economic solutions that are environmentally sound... like the work of Environmental Defense but on a global scale... designed to lessen our negative impact on the environment by working with companies. http://www.environmentaldefense.org/home.cfm

5) Cure AIDS, through a combination of education, immunization (to be developed), and medications to reduce transmission through intercourse and childbirth.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Cleaner forms of energy. This doesn't necessarily mean hybrid cars, since the energy for the batteries usually comes out of coal plants. No point in even having one if your'e going to pollute like that to get the energy for it.

We need to deal with the crisis in Tibet. It's been ignored for far too long.

As others have mentioned, the Darfur crisis.

Sexual abuse of all stripes.

Sex ed.'s in a woeful state, especially in areas where they're being told that condoms magically let HIV slip through. That needs to be fixed in a big way.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm afraid this might be a bit general, but:

1. The world's ecosystems.
2. The abuse of intimacies.
3. Politcal and social oppression.
4. The Culture of Consumerism.
5. Education in the US and most other nations.

I've listed these in terms of my feelings about them, not in terms of which would pragmatically come first, because I think they should be worked on simultaneously.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Seyorni said:
Population pressure is the cause of the problems the others mention.
And if you haven't noticed that the world is in decline you have your head in the sand.
I have noticed and I agree fully with you. never stated differently.

Ormiston

Listed in priority from most to least important, these are the issues that I think are most important worldwide:

1) Food/Water - an end to starvation for the poor and helpless.
2) Shelter - same as #1.
3) Disease - AIDS, cancer, and drug/alcohol abuse.
4) Human Rights - especially exploitation of the poor and young.
5) "World Peace!" - whatever that means, it sounds good. :rainbow1:

s2a

Wow.

We're almost there!

Here's a shameless bump to invite and encourage a few more replies (so that fair debate may ensue)!

Thanks to all contributors so far...(Bouncing Ball, you can still enumerate your top priorities too! ;-))

[Psst. Lest I neglect to mention, I will lend frubals to the first 25 respondents with earnestly enumerated priorities within this thread.]

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
s2a said:
Bouncing Ball, you can still enumerate your top priorities too! ;-)
I know. But I stand that I don't need anything changed. It is working pretty fine as it is ;)
Everything seems to solve itself:
(little example)overpopulation -> war -> peace -> overpopulation -> war -> etc..:D
I am not sure what will happen if you break that pattern. Will it continue in an other order, or will it be broken. Once I found out, I'll give you my 5 :cool:

ChrisP

Veteran Member
1. Not enough Love
2. There's too much fear. Teach people there's no reason to be afraid.

I don't have 5. Those two take care of anything else.

s2a

By popular demand (in so much as a singular request, actually;-)), I seek to make good on my initially stated intentions in this thread's OP, and lend some quantitative accounting and assessment to the tendered responses herein (despite the lacking fact that my hoped-for foundation of a minimum of 20 distinct replies to work from was not entirely met); and, as promised, afterwards - my own "top five" priorities (which were not included in the quantitative tally).

Some caveats are in order:
1) The catergorzations/characterizations (of "issues") lent are my own, simply to qualify the broader (or more specified) thrust of a particular issue. Quibbling with such characterizations are expected, and certainly open to debate. Greater specificity in initial responses would have mitigated the need for such summary characterizations...but that's OK. ;-)
2) The sum total of the enumerated/qualified issues exceeds the number of lent replies because (in my sole estimation) some issues are intermixed or transcend distinctive boundaries.
3) No intentional/personal bias/preference was lent to individual issues with identical accountings in the listing below. It just worked out that way. Really. ;-)
4) I'm only human, and predisposed to error. Previous contributors to this thread may feel that their particular issue was unfairly/inappropriately categorized, or unaccounted. As always, I invite correction as due.

"Top 5 Issues to fix in the world (so far_)"

Education enhancement/reform - 5
Health/medicine - 5
Environmental issues - 5
Darfur/genocide - 4
Governmental fiscal accountability/tax reform - 4
Clean water - 4
Alternative energy/Oil dependency - 3
Sexual exploitation/abuse - 3
(World) hunger - 3
(World) poverty - 3
Iraq War/War - 2
Religious tolerance - 2
Human rights - 2
Equal (civil) rights - 2
Ignorance/Fear - 1
Overpopulation - 1
Greed/Capitalism - 1
Political corruption - 1
Homelessness/Shelter - 1
Tibet - 1
Political oppression/persecution - 1
Decriminalization/Legalization of personal choices - 1
Nuclear proliferation - 1
"World Peace" - 1

Observations:
Again, I confess disappointment that greater specificity was not especially lent to individually proffered "priority issues" (though some folks did, thank you). Perhaps the opportunity to do so will be engaged in the auxiliary/concomitant thread entitled "Your Top 5 legislative proposals to 'fix' the Top 5 Issues of the day" (Coming soon to an REF thread near you).

It is often both heard and said, "Somebody needs to do something about that!". Well, be that somebody. Do something about it.

Input:
I'm going to cheat (or rather, indulge) my own instigated thread a bit.

Here are my "Top 5 issues to fix (and why)" nationally; and then, (soon to follow) internationally.

In the U.S.
1) Nationalized (federalized) "free" health care for every citizen.

Why: Nearly 10 million children under the age of 18 have no health coverage.
*More than 90% of them have one or more parents who work.
*60% live in two-parent families.
*70% have incomes below 200% of the federal poverty level.
*They make up 70% of all newly uninsured Americans, while the number of children without private insurance grows by roughly 3,000 every day.

For the "wealthiest nation" on Earth, this is a readily preventable and needless moral abdication of a civil society's responsibility.

Infant mortality in the U.S. ranks amongst the likes of Croatia, Lithuania, Slovakia, and Estonia. "Developed nations" with "socialized medicine" like Cuba(!), Belgium, Switzerland, France, Germany, Spain, Denmark, the U.K., Norway, Finland, Iceland, Sweden, Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore (some of which have nearly one-third lower rates of infant mortality) rank far above the "wealthiest, most Christian nation on Earth".
Source: CIA - The World Factbook
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html

2) Federally-provided (free, or subsidized) shelters/domiciles for all homeless U.S. citizens.

Why:
*2.3 million to 3.5 million people experience homelessness in America each year.
*23% of the homeless population are military veterans
*Families are now the fastest growing segment of the homeless population, accounting for almost 39% of the nation's homeless.
*The average age of a homeless person in the U.S. is 9 years old.
*Nearly 20% of homeless children lack a regular source of medical care.

Our veterans are the ones that sacrifice their life priorities to secure the liberties, opportunities, and freedoms we all enjoy.
Homeless children have no say or influence upon their situation; they're not "lazy", "drunks", hobos", or crazy. They're just children.

Why would such a moral, compassionate, and generous nation choose to ignore our most courageous and defenseless citizens in their greatest time of need?

3) Vastly expand the scope and funding of scientific research, discovery, and exploration.

Why:
Global warming; Alternative fuels; Medicine; knowledge, enlightenment, revelation, and inspiration.

There is an expectation that "science" (that amorphous entity of mystery and magic) will somehow "fix" or "cure" all of our contemporary ailments or environmental challenges...just so that we may painlessly and mindlessly continue to enjoy our iPods, TiVo, and front-door refrigerator crushed ice. We get scientific discovery and revelation on the cheap in the U.S. Most medical research is motivated by corporate profits, not some beneficent or selfless greater good.

Discovery alone promises nothing. The overwhelming amount of the technology that we enjoy today was the byproduct of unforeseen or unexpected consequences borne of experimentation. The only thing that surpasses current human understanding and knowledge...is what we have yet to explore and discover by purposed intent...or complete accident. Innovations, and competent explanations, are fueled by the available resources (and guile) of those willing to ask "why not this?"; instead of the timid and vapid souls that seek abject ignorance and regression to "simpler" times.

4) Mandate the instruction of critical thinking into every public school curriculum from grade 7 upward.

Why:
Critical thinking does not abide - nor long tolerate - facile appeals to emotion, bias, fear, or ignorance. From: political corruption; to national debates of civil/constitutional/human rights; racial/religious/gender/national/sexual orientation tolerance/oppression; and purely for the sake of reasoned, rational, and logical debate/discussion - critical thinking is imperative to any sustainable and worthy self-governing people. If reason is universally taught, then reason can ultimately prevail in any given scenario.

Ignorance, apathy, ennui, and indifference are all borne of a conspicuous absence of critical thinking,reflection, and examination. Time to seriously think about how to teach children how to think for themselves.

5) Environmental responsibility/accountability/preservation.

Why:
Well...duh.
We are what we eat, breathe, and drink. No other species on this planet has the power either to utterly destroy, or ultimately preserve, the ecosystem in which we all coexist.

Humans were not the first species to inhabit this planet, and it's pretty well assured that humans will not be the last to do so. We abide amongst temporal grounds, utterly dependent upon the mechanisms of life itself; and the consequent repercussions of our own craft. We don't own the natural world or cosmos. It's neither ours to specifically bequeath to a certain "chosen" few, or presently claim as our own to squander and defile as we please.

In most vile terms, it's bad form to "sh*t where you eat", and our species has been dumping in it's own dining room for a long, long time. Time to get potty trained, and learn where that defecated crap really goes after we blithely flush the toilet into some hoped-for oblivious destination.

Do you feel like sh*t sometimes? Maybe it's because you are breathing, eating, and drinking someone else's sh*t.