• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Your righteousness must exceed the Scribes and Pharisees"

Shermana

Heretic
Oh, so now there's an objective kind of happiness which one can envy? I'm sure there's more than one person in the world who loves torturing animals and people. Why wouldn't they envy someone who had the ability to torture thousands of them?

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Do you think it may be possible that torturing beings is something particularly unconscious individuals do to become more comfortable with their misery as I theorized earlier in this thread and not something that makes them happy?

I'm well aware that beings do all manner of deed to please their selfish desires. Many unconscious beings have reasoned that happiness is the attainment of selfish desire, but I will tell you the Truth: Happiness is to transcend selfish desire.

Shermana

Heretic
And Yashua was teaching people how to fully obey the commandments and transcend selfish desires. Thus, righteousness.

Prophet

And what did Yashua mean when he said woe to teachers of the law?

I will explain the difference between the laws of men and the Law of God. Laws of men govern action. The Law of God governs motive.

When Yashua was asked what God's greatest commandments were, he told us we need to love everyone. The Law of God has not changed. Make every act a selfless offering to the One who inspires selflessness in all beings.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
And what did Yashua mean when he said woe to teachers of the law?

I will explain the difference between the laws of men and the Law of God. Laws of men govern action. The Law of God governs motive.

When Yashua was asked what God's greatest commandments were, he told us we need to love everyone. The Law of God has not changed. Make every act a selfless offering to the One who inspires selflessness in all beings.
You ever read deuteronomy? Gds laws are tge laws knownn as the Mosaic Laws

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Plainly worded, Jesus says that if you think morality is about avoiding evil actions that you want to do to avoid a consequence of hell, it would be wise to cut off any body part you can perform sin with. True morality is about changing what you want by removing yourself from ignorance.

Lov of ghod out of fear of unishment, is no love at all

Prophet

You ever read deuteronomy? Gds laws are tge laws knownn as the Mosaic Laws

Do you suppose it is possible that these Mosaic Laws were actually made up by men and then were said to be from God to control their unruly people?

The following passage is from Exodus 19, the chapter before the Ten Commandments.

On the first day of the third month after the Israelites left Egypt—on that very day—they came to the Desert of Sinai. 2 After they set out from Rephidim, they entered the Desert of Sinai, and Israel camped there in the desert in front of the mountain.
3 Then Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: 4 ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you[a] will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

7 So Moses went back and summoned the elders of the people and set before them all the words the LORD had commanded him to speak. 8 The people all responded together, “We will do everything the LORD has said.” So Moses brought their answer back to the LORD.

9 The LORD said to Moses, “I am going to come to you in a dense cloud, so that the people will hear me speaking with you and will always put their trust in you.” Then Moses told the LORD what the people had said.

10 And the LORD said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes 11 and be ready by the third day, because on that day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. 12 Put limits for the people around the mountain and tell them, ‘Be careful that you do not approach the mountain or touch the foot of it. Whoever touches the mountain is to be put to death. 13 They are to be stoned or shot with arrows; not a hand is to be laid on them. No person or animal shall be permitted to live.’ Only when the ram’s horn sounds a long blast may they approach the mountain.”

14 After Moses had gone down the mountain to the people, he consecrated them, and they washed their clothes. 15 Then he said to the people, “Prepare yourselves for the third day. Abstain from sexual relations.”

16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. 17 Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. 18 Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently. 19 As the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.[c]

20 The LORD descended to the top of Mount Sinai and called Moses to the top of the mountain. So Moses went up 21 and the LORD said to him, “Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the LORD and many of them perish. 22 Even the priests, who approach the LORD, must consecrate themselves, or the LORD will break out against them.”

23 Moses said to the LORD, “The people cannot come up Mount Sinai, because you yourself warned us, ‘Put limits around the mountain and set it apart as holy.’”

24 The LORD replied, “Go down and bring Aaron up with you. But the priests and the people must not force their way through to come up to the LORD, or he will break out against them.”

25 So Moses went down to the people and told them.

This story, understood by a critical mind, is how Moses fooled the Israelites into believing he was a prophet.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Do you suppose it is possible that these Mosaic Laws were actually made up by men and then were said to be from God to control their unruly people?

The following passage is from Exodus 19, the chapter before the Ten Commandments.

This story, understood by a critical mind, is how Moses fooled the Israelites into believing he was a prophet.

Lol yeah, Moses controlled the sky :rolleyes:

This happened in front of a whole nation. More credible then miracles worked in front kf a few people.

Then again they all could be fake. But if you disbelieve Moses, then you disbelieve all the prophets

So,how you going to put stock in Jesu cbut not Moses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Prophet

Why were boundaries set around the mountain? Why were people who passed these boundaries to be put to death without hesitation?

Does it seem to anyone else that Moses is trying to hide something here?

Prophet

Was the ability to make a billowing cloud of smoke beyond the scope of Israelite technology at this point?

Prophet

And don't forget how he parted the Red Sea with the outstretching of his arms. :)

Prophet

Are prophets of God confirmed by their utilization of magic powers?

Prophet

You mean like people who didn't want to pay Caesar's taxes?

Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, give to Moses what is Moses', and give to God that which is God's.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
You have a point. Abraham's faith (being prepared to sacrifice his son) is an example of obedience to G-d's specific commandment. This proves that G-d's commandmenI ts and obedience to such is thus righteousness. Therefore, one's righteousness is one's obedience. If G-d is called righteous, that means he is "good". If G-d is called "righteous", that means G-d is good and thus not evil. However, if we have an example of the meaning from Psalms saying that the commandments are Righteousness, then we can conclude that they are also part of G-d's direct commands, and thus, adherence to them is righteousness, and Abraham's willingness to go through with his own acts of faith are also righteousness. But this still makes what Jesus said akin to being obedient to what G-d wills greater than the Pharisees for one to enter the Kingdom.
Actually, that passage I referred to concerned Abram having a multitude of seed and not the sacrifice of Issac. And it was his faith not his obedience that was counted for righteousness. It says so right in the text. Futhermore, while all of God's commandments are righteous, not all people are required to follow them and new commandments supercede older commandments so that all are not to be followed.

Shermana

Heretic
Actually, that passage I referred to concerned Abram having a multitude of seed and not the sacrifice of Issac. And it was his faith not his obedience that was counted for righteousness. It says so right in the text. Futhermore, while all of God's commandments are righteous, not all people are required to follow them and new commandments supercede older commandments so that all are not to be followed.

The text is referring to Abraham's would-be-sacrifice of Isaac as his act of faith, is it not? The concept of the Moshiach is to invite new grafts to the tree of Israel so that they will obey the commandments. Even the strangers in the Holy Land had to obey the commandments. You are probably thinking of Acts 15, and I am prepared to discuss the issues of its canonicity, which many scholars think is a later addition. Going by Acts 15 alone, Christians are allowed to murder and steal and lie and defraud apparently. (Might explain a lot....)