• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Your righteousness must exceed the Scribes and Pharisees"

Shermana

Heretic
What Jesus told the Scribes and Pharisees had nothing to do with Christianity.
So does that mean that Christianity has nothing to do with Jesus says? Are you saying that most if not all the things Jesus taught should be thrown out since they went null and void after the crucifixion? If not, what parts do you keep and what parts do you toss?

Jesus was born a Jew and he was under the Mosaic Law Covenant all his life

Does that mean that the words he spoke were not true? Or that they were only true while he was alive?

All the things written in the Hebrew criptures had to be fulfilled during Jesus life.
The word '"fulfilled" does not mean "Do away with", otherwise, how do you explain what Paul said about "fulfilling the Law of Christ"?

Christianity started on Pentecost 33CE. This was 50 days after the resurrection of Jesus, and 10 days after he returned to Heaven, Acts 1:3-5, 2:1-17. Being followers of Jesus, they started to be called Christians a little over a year later, Acts 11:26.
Are you saying that Jesus's words went void after the 50 days? Does that mean ALL of Jesus's teachings went void as well such as what he told the Rich man?

The Jews had been under the Mosaic Law Covenant over 1,500 years, so something out standing needed to be displayed to impress the Jews that God had turned his favor to the Christian Congregation

So you're saying that Jesus said something that wasn't true just to impress them? What would be the purpose of what he said exactly? What did he mean by "righteousness"?

because the majority of the Jews rejected Jesus as the Messiah, or Christ, and then killed God's son

So then, what would be the very meaning of what he said, and are you saying that what he said would be null and void 50 days later? A bait and switch? Would does "righteosness" actually mean? What was the meaning of this that Jesus said? What did Jesus mean in 5:17 that "Those who say to disobey the least of the commandments shall be called the least in heaven"? Did that get overturned 50 days later too? Can we assume that virtually everything Jesus taught about having to obey the commandments was overturned?

That is why God poured out His Holy Spirit on this little band that caused they to be able to do miraculous things.
And this little band were all Torah obedient Jews.

Just what Jesus was telling the Scribes and Pharisees was that they were hypocrits, who did not obey the Law,but just liked the attention and praise they received from the people.
Yes he WAS telling them they were hypocrites, because he was saying that despite the fact they outwardly followed the Law, they still were not completely observant, as well in their hearts, for they twisted the Law to suit their Pharisaical doctrines and denied helping the poor.
Jesus stated this in several places, Matt 6:1-8, 23:1-38.
On the night before Jesus was killed he instituted the NEW COVENANT that Jeremiah had prophesied, Jere 31:31-34, Luke 22:19,20, 1Cor 11:24-26. Paul showed that this had the fulfillment with Jesus, Heb 8:6-13, 10:1-18
Do you even know what the New Covenant in Jeremiah says? Does it say the Law will be done away with? Quite the contrary. It says the SAME Law will be "written upon the hearts" of the believers. It's amazing how many "Christians" who believe in the "New Covenant" don't even know what it actually says.

So what do you think "righteousness" means? Why don't you read some of my earlier responses before you respond.

Last edited:

james2ko

noah knew about the animals because God brought the animals into to the Ark, So when Noah heard that the clean animals would come in by 7's and the unclean in pairs, he would have seen which animals were which when they came onto the ark by their numbers.

Gen 7:2 You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female;

The sense of the verb phrase "shall take" indicates prior knowledge of what the object (clean and unclean meats) consists of. For example:

Gen_24:7 The LORD God of heaven, who took me from my father's house and from the land of my family, and who spoke to me and swore to me, saying, 'To your descendants I give this land,' He will send His angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there.
The object of the verb phrase "shall take" is "wife". Abraham already knew what constituted a "wife".

Exo_4:9 And it shall be, if they do not believe even these two signs, or listen to your voice, that you shall take water from the river and pour it on the dry land. The water which you take from the river will become blood on the dry land."

God tells Moses he "...shall take water...." implying Moses had prior knowledge of what defined water.

Exo_12:3 Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying: 'On the tenth of this month every man shall take for himself a lamb, according to the house of his father, a lamb for a household.

Here again, God instructed the Israelites through Moses, they "shall take" a lamb as if every man should already know what a lamb was. But don't take my word for it. Do a study on this phrase and you will see that in every case, the object of the phrase was already known!

As for Abraham, he knew it was right and proper to support a Priest of Jehovah. So Abraham was motivated by holy spirit to give a 10th of all he owned in support of true worship. The key is that he was motivated by his faith to do so...not because someone told him it was a rule he must obey. Gods laws were in his heart because his heart was righteous.

This would imply every new Christian, who receives the Holy Spirit, should know God's law without anyone teaching it to them???? The bible does not support such a concept:

Rom 2:20-22 You think you can instruct the ignorant and teach children the ways of God. For you are certain that God's law gives you complete knowledge and truth. 21 Well then, if you teach others, why don't you teach yourself? You tell others not to steal, but do you steal? 22 You say it is wrong to commit adultery, but do you commit adultery? You condemn idolatry, but do you use items stolen from pagan temples?

Heb_5:12-13 You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God's word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. 13 For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn't know how to do what is right.​

The bible clearly implies Abraham was taught God's commandments, laws, and statutes (Gen 26:5). It was not inherent within him.

The big question then.... What is true faith, and how do you get it?

Topic deserving of its own thread.

obi one

To enter the Kingdom, in Matthew 5:17-20.

Definition of Righteousness:
So was Jesus basically saying that one must obey the commandments (all of them) better than the Scribes and the Pharisees to enter the Kingdom?

Where does this leave Christian salvation doctrines in general?

I don't think there is a general "salvation doctrine". An Assembly of God "Christian" needs something on the order of an altar call. A Catholic at one time, to avoid hell, had to go to church every Easter, and not commit a mortal sin, at least if not confessed, or at least have a priest to "chant" over them before they died.

As for the commandments written on stone, there were 10 of them. As for the statutes, although many of them are for health purposes, etc. and wise to keep. I have to question others, in that Ezekiel 20:24 says, "I gave them over to statutes that were not good". And this because they were a rebellous people. Like the Catholics, some people require ceremony in their lifes. Other statutes were simply given as hidden messages as to the how the earth was created, in as much as they described the architecture of Nature, to a degree not yet perceived. The description of the temples in the desert and in Jerusalem, and even the make up of the tribes of Israel, all temples of God, hide fundamental patterns found in the make up of Nature.

As for the "Christian salvation" as a compilation, "in the day of distress", the nations (Gentiles) will say, "Our fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood." Jeremiah 16:19

The Scribes and Pharisees=modern day pastors, tradition keepers, etc. It is amazing how much junk we all collect being religious. The process of washing all that garbage away is fearful to many, and such a humbling experince which destroys the ego. Go for it!! Exceed that of the Scribes and Pharisees!