• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Older Posts That Make You Shudder

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What are some of your older posts/threads that make you shudder today and/or that you regret making?

The first one that comes to mind for me is a thread titled "Who Are Your Favorite Members?" That one was just... ugh. Let's just say I find it downright embarrassing at best.

Your turn. :D

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What are some of your older posts/threads that make you shudder today and/or that you regret making?
Most of them. Also, while I love many features of the new layout/format, like the ability to paste in formatted text, the auto-save (I can't tell you how many posts I spent forever writing were lost because I hit backspace and it acted like a button or similar problems), the upload feature, etc., the change meant that punctuation and special characters in older posts now show up as character code references.

But if I had to pick, there is one that stands out. I don't remember what it was about. All I know is that I tend to post here when I can't sleep and too frequently after I've had a drink or 2. In other words practically the only time I am likely to not just get upset but act like a child and complete jerk. One day I had spare time during the day for whatever reason, and I went on the forums. I usually check the post I have already participated in first (which is even easier now thanks to alerts), and did so. I was scrolling through and found a post that, even though I was level-headed, was so obnoxious I started replying before I'd read through it all. As I continued to respond to the points made, I began to grudgingly admit to myself that, despite my distaste for the post, I actually agreed with the points made. Eventually, one of these points was made in a way that sounded quite familiar.
Turns out I'd written the post like 2 nights earlier and had forgotten it completely. I hadn't bothered to check who made the post before starting to respond, and as I often did before the forum changed I had copied the post, pasted it into word, and was writing my response there (doing this ensured I wouldn't loose the post by accidently leaving the page or a failure when submitting).

So there I was, half-way through my rebuttal to this member's obnoxious tirade, once again thinking to myself "you know, you really should stop visiting the forums when tired and stressed (especially if you've been drinking)."

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Most of them.
LOL! Same here.

I hate hearing my own voice on a recording, and also reading my own old posts, i.e. two days ago or older.

So there I was, half-way through my rebuttal to this member's obnoxious tirade, once again thinking to myself "you know, you really should stop visiting the forums when tired and stressed (especially if you've been drinking)."
Hang on! PUI, posting under influence is the best way of doing it! :D

Curious George

Veteran Member

The first one that comes to mind for me is a thread titled "Who Are Your Favorite Members?" That one was just... ugh. Let's just say I find it downright embarrassing at best.

I snapped @lewisnotmiller Not too long ago. I still feel bad.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Though i agree with the sentiments, could have phrased them much better, and not been so blatant in the early years. :innocent:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I hate hearing my own voice on a recording.
I know, isn't it awful? We hear our own voices through sound traveling through "solids" and so it sounds differently to us. So when I listen to some recording of my voice, I want to punch myself in the face.

Hang on! PUI, posting under influence is the best way of doing it! :D
But like many activities that one does under the influence, too often one regrets it in the morning!

Laika

Premium Member
remarkably few as I tend to think I've grown an enourmous amount whilst on here and I'm quite proud of that. I lost it on a few of the communism/atheism threads and still feel bad about it. As far as I can recall, that is the only time though.

But overall, I'd say I'm way too agreeable. I need to be a little more daring and confrontational in thinking outside the box. What the point of playing with dangerous ideas if you can't have a little fun and be a bad influence? A life without regrets is one that has not been lived. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been here since I was 17, so plenty, as you could imagine.
You don't know shame until you've defended a 9/11 conspiracy.
I am glad that I didn't start posting on line til I was over 50....or as you'd say, "fitty".
I didn't always have my current savoir faire.

dust1n

Zindīq
Young whippersnap'n posters who rage against injustices with righteous
certainty.....if they only knew how they look to us ancient former SJWs.

My rage has only become more righteous in all its glory... just, less wrong more often. That's not to say I won't sometimes take ridiculous positions for fun, or to flesh them out. But, also embarrassing to hold a position without putting in some due time and... actually knowing into it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I kinda wish I was more aware beforehand with the conversation with an unnamed pagan. I wish we had better terms in understanding where we were coming from in our faiths. I also think I should have cut it short. Other than that, I probably have quite a few. It's not really the context, I just wish I could haven't shortened up a few things and find a spell check somewhere.

Nam.
:leafwind:

MD

qualiaphile
I used to think that liberalism was an amazing view and fought people like Reverend Rick a lot over it. I am ashamed about that now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've seen quite a few that make me think "I can't believe I said/thought that." But then again I was 18 and just out of high school when I joined, and a completely different person back then.