• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your experience with Wellbutrin

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Wellbutrin actually works on the same chemicals/neurotransmitters as cocaine and methamphetamine, so one might think that it has a similar effect.

In my experience, not even close. if you have been on Wellbutrin, what did it do for you?

Wellbutrin is a legal antidepressant and not a controlled substance, that works on dopamine and norepinephrine (also known as noradrenaline.)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Wellbutrin is a brand name of the drug bupropion, which is an smoking cessation aid and an antidepressant.

It was prescribed to me one of the times I quit smoking and was quite effective in that capacity.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Wellbutrin actually works on the same chemicals/neurotransmitters as cocaine and methamphetamine, so one might think that it has a similar effect.

In my experience, not even close. if you have been on Wellbutrin, what did it do for you?

Wellbutrin is a legal antidepressant and not a controlled substance, that works on dopamine and norepinephrine (also known as noradrenaline.)
The last time I tried it I almost lost my mind with overactive thinking. Had to stop it very quickly.

And Prozac works great for me, It tends to calm and smooth the overthinking.

What was your experience?

Ellen Brown

In 2005 I was on Wellbutrin, Celexa and Trazodone in very heavy doses after an unwanted divorce. I was a zombie. Later a Doctor said the drugs made me suggestible and got me started on the TG path, something I deeply regret.

If you need to be on the drugs, fine. If not... Do you have a caring family advocate? Psychology folk are not your friends. They want to make money off you, and want you on drugs so you are manageable.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The last time I tried it I almost lost my mind with overactive thinking. Had to stop it very quickly.

And Prozac works great for me, It tends to calm and smooth the overthinking.

What was your experience?
I'm on a relatively small dose and have not been on it very long to know for sure how much its helping me. I cannot really tell what exactly it is doing.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve been on bupropion xl 450 mg for about 10 years for bipolar depression. My doc wants me tapering off it now. He’s not convinced it’s doing much for me. I’m not either.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’ve been on bupropion xl 450 mg for about 10 years for bipolar depression. My doc wants me tapering off it now. He’s not convinced it’s doing much for me. I’m not either.

Be careful with that. Pretty common to think you don't need it, all because you're taking it and it's helping. Go slow. Really slow. Earlier, 10 years back, while teaching, I was put on several different antidepressants. Hated them all. Misdiagnosis. It was anxiety alone. Still on low dose anxiety stuff to get to sleep. They didn't tell me at the time there is risk of seizures when you go off, so I've accepted it's a lifetime thing, as are the 2 heart meds.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Be careful with that. Pretty common to think you don't need it, all because you're taking it and it's helping. Go slow. Really slow. Earlier, 10 years back, while teaching, I was put on several different antidepressants. Hated them all. Misdiagnosis. It was anxiety alone. Still on low dose anxiety stuff to get to sleep. They didn't tell me at the time there is risk of seizures when you go off, so I've accepted it's a lifetime thing, as are the 2 heart meds.

Oh yeah, I’m well aware. Thanks. You can’t quit cold turkey. Nooooo. He cut me by 1/3. I probably won’t get off completely, just a lower dose.

The seizures are a very real threat. The other med I take, lamotrigine (Lamictal) is a mood stabilizer. It’s also an anti-epileptic. That has to be tapered very very slowly. I don’t think he’s going to stop that completely either. The first doctor just had me on too high a dosage. That has its own issues.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I was on it for a bit about 6 years ago. It did nothing for me. I'm on Pristiq now, which is another SNRI and it's helped me more than any other antidepressant. It took years to find one that works for a good amount of time.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
In 2005 I was on Wellbutrin, Celexa and Trazodone in very heavy doses after an unwanted divorce. I was a zombie. Later a Doctor said the drugs made me suggestible and got me started on the TG path, something I deeply regret.

If you need to be on the drugs, fine. If not... Do you have a caring family advocate? Psychology folk are not your friends. They want to make money off you, and want you on drugs so you are manageable.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that doesn't mean all doctors are bad or that you should imply that someone shouldn't get psych care.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Right. I had an outburst about a month and a half ago and flushed my meds down the toilet. It's been hell since. I just got back on my meds this week. I was dealing with this: Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome - Wikipedia

I was just a ball of rage and hate, with mood swings.

Ellen Brown

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but that doesn't mean all doctors are bad or that you should imply that someone shouldn't get psych care.

I didn't, and I think that someone needs to be an advocate for the patient because Psychologists are not to be trusted. That was certainly a slick accusation you worked in there.

My care was mismanaged by folk who had an ulterior motive. Western Oregon is the LGBT capital of America perhaps? They were so anxious to have a TG patient in 2004 that they ignored my very real PTSD, drugged the hell out of me and before I knew it I'd had the operation and was living as a woman. Actually, the first suggestion of GID was in the mid 1980s, but being devout, we decided to pray it away. That worked passably well for nearly 20 years.

So, as far as I am concerned the Psychological field needs a lot of monitoring and management. The LGBT folk need to be kicked out of overseeing counseling. Just look at "The Gay Manifesto" that came out around 1970. Yes, LGBT folk need rights and equal treatment, but it has gone way overboard, IMHO.

Angry, yes I am. I intend no violence or acting out, but someone needs to reign these folk in.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I didn't, and I think that someone needs to be an advocate for the patient because Psychologists are not to be trusted. That was certainly a slick accusation you worked in there.

My care was mismanaged by folk who had an ulterior motive. Western Oregon is the LGBT capital of America perhaps? They were so anxious to have a TG patient in 2004 that they ignored my very real PTSD, drugged the hell out of me and before I knew it I'd had the operation and was living as a woman. Actually, the first suggestion of GID was in the mid 1980s, but being devout, we decided to pray it away. That worked passably well for nearly 20 years.

So, as far as I am concerned the Psychological field needs a lot of monitoring and management. The LGBT folk need to be kicked out of overseeing counseling. Just look at "The Gay Manifesto" that came out around 1970. Yes, LGBT folk need rights and equal treatment, but it has gone way overboard, IMHO.

Angry, yes I am. I intend no violence or acting out, but someone needs to reign these folk in.
I wasn't making an accusation. It just seemed to be what you were implying since I often see you making negative comments about psych care and the LGBT community. It's sad what happened to you but it's really not the fault of the LGBT community, especially since we have been treated very horribly by the medical profession throughout our history. I hope you are able to heal from what happened and stop misplacing your anger because it's not fair to us.

Ellen Brown

I wasn't making an accusation. It just seemed to be what you were implying since I often see you making negative comments about psych care and the LGBT community. It's sad what happened to you but it's really not the fault of the LGBT community, especially since we have been treated very horribly by the medical profession throughout our history. I hope you are able to heal from what happened and stop misplacing your anger because it's not fair to us.

My only opinion on the LGBT thing is I am not one of you and I have no criticisms of you. I think it is God's desire that we love all. My personal caveat is that if I think something is sinful then I should not do it full stop.

I live in Portland, Oregon, and being LGBT is a very big thing. I get lots of pressure from them. My biggest "deal" is God and leading a life pleasing to him.

Milton Platt

My wife took it for awhile for depression, she stopped, It numbed her our emotionally.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

I began using it years ago to quit smoking.
I thought it was absolutely horrible. After just one dose I was shaky and feeling like I could have a siezure. I have experienced intense seizures in the past ( so hard I was bouncing off the floor) so it would appear that I am in the group who shouldn’t touch it.

Here’s a warning for anyone who thinks it might be an alternative to amphetamine or cocaine for recreational use -

“Four of every 1000 persons who receive bupropion in doses less than 450 mg/day experience seizures. When doses exceed 450 mg/day, the risk increases ten-fold. ”

bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) Side Effects (Weight Loss), Dosage, & Uses

Just because something has some effect on dopamine receptors doesn’t mean it will be like speed or cocaine.

I’m surprised more people don’t try DMPEA. It is cheap, legal, and the closest thing to amphetamine apart from phenethylamine (PEA). Amphetamine is PEA with one methyl group, and DMPEA is PEA with two methyl groups.

I guess it must be considered safe as it is used in the food industry as a flavouring agent.;)

Although it has almost no favour. So maybe it is like the phenylalinine in sugar-free coke. It isn’t sweet. But it gives you a bump. It can even be used as the starting point for amphetamine synthesis.

Food technology has some obscure secrets methinks. o_O