• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Child's Religion

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My kids see me pray, study, and attend services. When I teach them, by beliefs help guide my decisions and my actions. And there is no way to separate that from who we are or the parents we become.
My children will see my wife do all these things. They'll also see me not do them. Presumably, they'll learn from this that religion is an option for them, but it isn't required of them.

In other words, you're telling your child you're unconvinced of what you're saying, therefore should be ignored in this instance.
No, you're not. You're telling your children that their process of honest exploration and arrival at their own beliefs has value in and of itself.

The process is important. Yes, you could just indoctrinate your kids in whatever your religion's tenets are, but this would give them only a hollow faith. Many parents don't consider this good enough for their children.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am going to be blunt with this opinion; nearly all children will learn to think for themselves, whether we teach them to or not. ;)

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
9-10ths, it isn't about indoctrinating tenets of a religion. It's about ensuring that the values of your tradition are passed on to the next generation. If you don't value your tradition, take on a tradition you value. If you don't feel that any tradition has values to pass on, then don't. I feel it's intellectually-dishonest to state that you won't attempt to pass on the same values you hold dear.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I will raise my kids to be rationalists and skeptics, and provide them with the tools from the start to be able to successfully apply such worldviews. If they end up being religious, that's their choice, but I'll take it that I didn't do my job correctly.

blackout

Violet.
I think individualism can go too far and become destructive in society if not mitigated by some sense of social cohesion and responsibility. Would you really want your children to grow up and believe the exact opposite things that you do? Do you want them to be sucked into a fanatical cult or bigoted religious denomination because its how they've chosen to express their individuality? Personally, I think it's okay to educate them about the sciences, natural facts, and the facts on religions so then at least their choices will be based on an informed view of the world rather than chaotic subjective individualism. But hey, they're your hypothetical children, not mind :p.

You certainly did read an awful lot
into 8 words and a smiley. :shrug:

Sahar

I will raise my child to be a Muslim; a unique, strong and successful Muslim. I will definitely raise him/her according to the best principles and morals which are the principles and morals of Islam.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Do you believe your child should chose their own religion? What will you tell them when they ask philosophical questions? If you want them to be part of a certain religion or lack of belief, which religion, and any specific secular group? (Humanism, Plain Atheism, Nontheism, etc.)

So far, from other sites, my results were that many religious people want their child to be a part of their religion, while the non-religious do not care.
If I have kids I'm going to try my best to teach them everything that I think they need to know. I'm going to leave the religion part up to them.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I will raise my kids to be rationalists and skeptics, and provide them with the tools from the start to be able to successfully apply such worldviews. If they end up being religious, that's their choice, but I'll take it that I didn't do my job correctly.

I wish my father did this :D That sounds like a good idea. Basically just because you teach them evidence.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I will raise my child to be a Muslim; a unique, strong and successful Muslim. I will definitely raise him/her according to the best principles and morals which are the principles and morals of Islam.

What if it turns out that he does not believe in Islam?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you believe your child should chose their own religion?

If any? Yes, sure. I certainly wouldn't have any way of choosing it for them, nor a valid way of trying.

That said, of course they would also be very aware of my personal philosophies and beliefs. What is the point of having children if you can't share your life with them? :)

What will you tell them when they ask philosophical questions?

Far more than they are likely to have any interest in hearing, I assume. :) Or maybe I will be lucky enough to have them surprising me in this regard.

If you want them to be part of a certain religion or lack of belief, which religion, and any specific secular group? (Humanism, Plain Atheism, Nontheism, etc.)

I would be basically okay with any beliefs (or lack of same) that were honest at their core. Which is to say, I can't see myself actually living with fundamentalist children of any kind.

Then again, I can't see fundamentalists resulting from living with me anyway :) I just can't imagine it happening. I ask way too many questions to allow for that.

They could well come to believe in God, but they would never rely on belief in God over recognition of fact, unless they lived apart from me for most of their childhood.

So far, from other sites, my results were that many religious people want their child to be a part of their religion, while the non-religious do not care.

Yes, both, I guess. Both apply to me to a degree.

Anonymouse

Why those particular choices?
Each religion chosen has a deep, rich history and culture. We're hoping that despite the differences in beliefs, the children will find a common respect and strength within the family unit. If this doesn't work, at least they will be able to provide interesting dinner discussion and debate.

Wombat

Do you believe your child should chose their own religion? .

Yes. The “Independent investigation of truth is vital for every and all children.

What will you tell them when they ask philosophical questions?.

Whatever I know regarding that question, what might lead them to further/other/alternate answers.

If you want them to be part of a certain religion or lack of belief, which religion, and any specific secular group? (Humanism, Plain Atheism, Nontheism, etc.

I want them to be part of the "group" called 'humanity' and the religion/philosophy that we are One World/One People...and >that essential unity< includes theists and non.

If it turns out they reject any belonging with/to humanity and become a hermit....Meh....their choice:shrug:

No surprise there. For many theists their religion is family/community and they desire their kids find a place therein... the non-religious often find other forms of surrogate family/community.

Sahar

What if it turns out that he does not believe in Islam?
I'd like to say that Islam is not only a set of beliefs and rituals. It's a way of thinking and a way of living.

Raising my child to be Muslim includes sowing the seeds of the good character in him (or her) and cultivating his sense of uniqueness and independence.
If at some point, he chose to follow another path, I wouldn't be happy, I would try to reason with him and pray for his guidance, then I guess nothing else could be done. Maybe I can live with the hope that those good seeds I sowed into him can guide him to the path of God someday.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Tarheeler,
You know that as part of conversion, you pledge to raise your children Jewish, right? It is antithetical to Judaism(and many other religions) to not raise a child with the values of the religion followed by the parents. It is not only going against the faith you profess, it doesn't make sense to say, "I believe this is right," and in the next breath, "you make your own choice."

And they will be raised that way. The only religion practiced in the home will be Judaism, and those are the values that will be taught. But I cannot force my children to truly believe what I do, no matter how hard I might try. And I think that to try to hide other religions or points-of-views from them would do far more harm that good.

I don't say "this is what I believe, but do what you want", but at the same time I don't hide the fact that that I believe isn't the only thing out there. Also, something else to consider is that Judaism is a new path for us all; my oldest two, the ones that claim a different belief, are teenagers and were never exposed to Judaism as small children. If I had converted before I had children or while they were still young, it might be different. But I can't turn back time.

I would love for all four of my children to find the same fulfillment and peace I have in Judaism, and I will do everything I can to help them to do so. But I cannot make it happen. As much as seeing my kids start Jewish families of their own would make me happy, I'll be satisfied to have raised four healthy children who are good people.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So the only way you'll see yourself as successful is if your children end up with essentially the same worldview as you have, and not something radically different? That sounds like indoctrination to me.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd like to say that Islam is not only a set of beliefs and rituals. It's a way of thinking and a way of living.
Raising my child to be Muslim includes sowing the seeds of the good character in him (or her) and cultivating his sense of uniqueness and independence.
If at some point, he chose to follow another path, I wouldn't be happy, I would try to reason with him and pray for his guidance, then I guess nothing else could be done. Maybe I can live with the hope that those good seeds I sowed into him can guide him to the path of God someday.
What if he lived as you wish (unique, honorable, independent, honest, smart, hard-working), but became a heathen?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
9-10ths, it isn't about indoctrinating tenets of a religion. It's about ensuring that the values of your tradition are passed on to the next generation.
If you're focused on the end result rather than the process, then I do think you're talking about indoctrination.

If you don't value your tradition, take on a tradition you value. If you don't feel that any tradition has values to pass on, then don't. I feel it's intellectually-dishonest to state that you won't attempt to pass on the same values you hold dear.
My values deal with things like honesty, discovery, and free inquiry. I'd much rather that a child of mine ended up as, say, a Christian or Jew because it was truly what he came to believe after thorough exploration and reflection than if he ended up an atheist just because he wanted to be like his Dad.

I'm a freethinker. I'm not going to throw away the foundational principles of freethought just to make sure that my kid ends up an atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

One that emphasizes familiy responsibilities and moral values, I assume?

I guess a parent can't really aim for better results than that :)

I would ask if good seeds necessarily lead into a theistic path, but I guess it is difficult for a Muslim to accept that having good character and following God are largely unrelated things, and may well oppose each other for many people.

Best of luck with your children, all the same. Children are a blessing. :)

In my opinion, children should be exposed to as much information as is reasonable. Obviously, by reasonable, I mean not murder, rape and such. What I mean by as much information is religion. Children should be allowed to choose their religion, and know about as many as possible, just as they should form their own opinion about anything. However, their parent's religion should not be 'passed down' to them anymore than the child might grow up to be of the same political party as the parent. Children who do not yet understand their beliefs should not be labelled.