• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Birth Religion

Religious Background/ Raising

• Total voters

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I answered other because I was not raised in religion nor any specific belief. My mom would sometimes say something like "God come down" literally translated from Hungarian meaning something like "God save us all".

I think she has belief in God just not any religion. My dad however has experimented a lot with new age and magick but since I didn't see him much in my childhood I wasn't really all that exposed to it.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
"Other" in the poll.

My parents were raised Catholic in the Netherlands. When they moved to NZ a year before I was born, I think both of them at that stage had a fairly loose connection with Catholicism - believing perhaps only because they mightn't have been exposed to many other religions.

So my childhood was rather laid-back in terms of religion. I was baptized, probably more due to pressure from the grandparents than anything else. My first year in school was at a Catholic school. We moved away and I went to the local country school. Bible in Schools was still in the curriculum, and once a week until I was about 10, someone would come in and tell a bible story and ask questions about it. Non-denominational I believe. I remember enjoying them at the time. When I was 8 or 9, I think mum was feeling a little lost, and found the New Age movement. This invited a different kind of thinking, and she was wise enough to answer my questions about God and afterlife etc by first asking me about what I thought. While validating my thoughts, she would offer other perspectives and suggesting that in the end maybe no-one really knew. So while there was at least a Christian undercurrent, other ideas such as reincarnation, karma, magic healing and meditation were present. In some way I managed to align all those early beliefs in a picture that was coherent for my 9yo self.

I'm not entirely sure she realises what effect her journey in her own beliefs had on me and my curiosity about this thing that no-one knew about. I knew I needed to find out...
...to be continued

In short:
Born "Catholic",
Heard some other ideas,
Finding better ideas.

Steiger

I was raised as a Southern Baptist( 1973-1995). I thought it was a little too simplistic and studied Catholicism. I converted to Catholicism in 1995 and fell away in 2002. I still wanted liturgy, but in a more Protestant context, so I embraced ELCA Lutheranism in 2002. I left that tradition in 2005 and wandered around exploring different world religions, including LDS, Hinduism, Baha'i, Islam, Asatru and back to Catholicism in 2010 ( I needed some sort of stable spiritual anchor and my beliefs in Jesus were always there.) When we moved down to Florida, my wife and I attended a couple of different Catholic parishes. We didn't think much of either one and did some church shopping, when we found a very Biblically faithful and conservative Presbyterian Church, whose pastor taught some very good doctrine. We both joined the Presbyterian Church last April and are (finally) quite happy here.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I wasn't really raised in any religion. Both sides of my family were nominal Christian, mostly Baptist and Methodist. I started going to church seriously around the age of 14, in a Free Will Baptist. Then from there I went to Trinitarian Pentecostal (Assemblies of God), Southern Baptist, Eastern Orthodox, and finally Methodist. I fooled around for a short time right after high school with the occult and neopaganism. After my divorce, I began to doubt my beliefs, but had for a time seriously considered Islam. But I went back to take another look at Buddhism, and that has been my path for the last 2 1/2 years. I started loosing my faith in Christianity one doctrine at a time, before I finally came to the conclusion that I no longer believed in their view of God, or really any god at all.

Starsurfer93

Soul-Searcher
I was raised in a Christian household. A Seventh Day Adventist household to be exact. It was a good upbringing, though looking back on it, I don't think I was ever REALLY a Christian. I was in regards to culture I guess. But I never really felt a need to pray, nor did feel a real solid connection with the Church or the faith. I guess my actual split from the religion happened in my early teens upon realizing that I was gay. I just found it hard to believe I could be thrown into hell along with people like Hitler just because I loved someone of the same sex.

From age 14 until just recently I was kinda just a floater without a faith. I didn't really care about spiritual matters either. I was just me, I guess. There was a very, VERY brief stint where I revisited Christianity through constant prodding from a friend. That came to a close though once I realized that this friend was no better than the hateful and judgmental Conservative Christians she claimed to despise.

I finally came to Buddhism last year while researching it for a school assignment. Though it started as just research for a paper, what I discovered intrigued me, and I wanted to learn more about it. I officially began to consider myself a Buddhist recently and began attending services at a nearby Zendo. While I'm still open to an evolution of my faith, I think I've finally found where I belong. :)

jazzymom

Just Jewish
What religious background do you come from? Were you raised something other then you are now? Why did you leave it?

If you've remained in it, why? If you ever left it and then returned to it, why?

Feel free to share if you like. I've known some of you on here awhile, and others I'm just meeting, but it'd be interesting to see where you come from.

I'll be sharing too :)

I was raised in a secular home that did Christmas and Easter and never set foot in a church. No indoctrination and finally as an adult I realized I had no religion.

I also realized that I had spent a long time searching and finally found out where I was supposed to be.

As a child I hated that I had nothing and as an adult I realize my family gave me the gift of choice.

I am a Jew by choice and now am whole.

I can't put a choice on the poll because I was raised as nothing. I don't consider just doing holidays to make a person part of that faith tradition. One's family needs to be active in a faith tradition and want to pass it on to give a person the feeling that they are actually a part of a faith tradition.

Last edited:

fenrisx

born protestant, episcilaen, then congregationalist, but oddly tendai buddhism snuck into the mix during high school and college, these paths found common ground in universal sufism. I am all the above and I am sufi.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Used to be Christian. Life proved sobering enough to put it all down for the remainder of my lifespan. Buddhism in place of Christianity proved a sufficient raft as long as I don't get carried away with it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My mother was an atheist at my birth and my father was an non-religious Catholic (I think). I was raised with no religion.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Grew up agnostic in a household of split religious loyalties. Became very anti-Christian as I became an adult. Finally I hit a wall and knew I was going to die if something didn't change. I did some searching and came to an answer I wasn't planning on.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I was raised Baptist, and followed it zealously until I was 16. I left because I read the Bible and didn't like what I read, it never seemed like God was there, the idea that I should hate myself because I was born into the wrong sex, and finding out that I had been lied to (especially in science and history, I was taught in a Christian school women have an extra set of ribs and Alexander the Great conquered the world shortly before Jesus' birth) are the reasons I left. And I've not once looked back or doubted my decision.

Which verses in Scripture made you feel like you were supposed to hate yourself?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
To make a VERY long story short, I was baptized Lutheran as a baby (1993), but my family stopped going to church when I was 3. Was a cultural Christian who didn't know jack about his faith for about 12 years, until I "rediscovered" Christianity (2008). Decided to become Lutheran, but my mom convinced me to go to a non-denom church so I could take Communion. I agreed and studied Christianity some more. When I got to the Eucharist, I decided I liked the Catholic position better. Studied Catholicism a lot, and left the non-denom church Easter 2009. A year later at Easter Vigil 2010 I was confirmed as a Catholic, even though I'd heard a bit about Orthodoxy. In summer 2010, the RC Mass began to feel hollow to me, so I decided to attend an Eastern Catholic parish.

After being introduced to Orthodox theology via Sunday school at the Eastern Catholic parish, Orthodoxy piqued my interest even more. After much studying and discernment, I decided to leave Catholicism this past summer, as I found out that Orthodoxy resonated with me in a way that other denominations and religions didn't, and that I rejected many Roman Catholic ideas dogmas, such as Papal Infallibility, Papal supremacy, the Filioque clause in the Nicene Creed, and Original Sin. Now I'm an inquirer into Eastern Orthodoxy who flirts with Gnosticism.

I was baptised a Catholic, went to a Christian Brothers School. My parents divorced while I was quite young this probably spelt the beginning of the end of my Catholic faith. Some years later my mother got involved in the Spiritualist Church. As a teenager I recall the discussions she had with me describing the chakras, kundalini and similar such things. This is what jettisoned me into the world of the Esoteric. As an adult I have researched and looked down many a path finally to settle on the path of the Elder Futhark and the Northern Tradition.

Serpentia Australis

Per Aspera Ad Astra

Straw Dog

Interesting topic. I was raised to be Protestant Christian. My mother has diverged into more New Age beliefs, which I don't really share, and I would consider my father to mostly be an apatheist, although he does attend/ give lip service to Christian beliefs. His primary love is sports (he's even still playing baseball into his forties, tao bless his heart). My birth religion was realizing that nature tends towards diversity. It's obvious to anyone who pays attention.

Konjim

Hi All ,

i strongly believe in Hindu Religion , Hindu Religion is oldest religion in world and this is Third largest religion after Christianity and Islam . In Hindu Religion we pray god with Different name of like Krishna, Vishnu . And believe in idol worship use temple for prayer

I like God painting of Krishna who is most popular in Hindu religion with his different Character .
God Krishna story is very famous all over the world for his Story,
I really like the story of god Krishna, with Krishna Different name.:yes:

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
Although, my family was xtian, and I had to go along with the programming until I was old enough to make it clear that I did not and would not ever belief the same thing they did, I was a born atheist. None of it ever made sense to me since none of it could be proven and I was always loath to take people by their word.
As I got older, my atheism became only more entrenched by the hypocrisy I saw around me.

Freedomelf

I was born a Catholic, and spent the first 14 years of my life in a strict Catholic school. I was part of the Aspirancy; a "club" for girls who eventually wanted to enter the convent (but were too young at the time for actual postulancy.)

When my father sued for my custody, my mother packed us up in the middle of the night and fled Chicago. We spent the next four years on the run; I never really understood why, but she was terrified she would lose custody. We didn't go to church; my mother was too afraid of getting known in any one place. She didn't even allow me to go to school; we were never in one place long enough, and she didn't want me registered. (I later spent my 20s catching up on my education.) She eventually got me a fake ID and I worked as a dishwasher in several restaurants where she waitressed. But I read my Bible often.

When I was 20, I got married and within a year or two, decided to go to the "Catholic" church down the block. I didn't realize it wasn't Catholic, it was Episcopalian. By the end of the first service I realized my mistake, but the people were so nice and "Catholic-like" I decided to return the next week. I wound up spending the next 30 years in the Episcopal faith.

When I was thirty, I became a Sunday School teacher. My kids were all acolytes. Eventually, I was asked by my church to take over as Christian Education Director. I served in that capacity for several years, and my church gave me a terrific award for my service. They had never awarded a C-Ed director before, and I was thrilled that I was so well-loved.

After I turned 50, I started having qualms about my faith. The qualms started after I read the "Left Behind" series, which everyone touted as so wonderful but which disgusted me. I couldn't understand why people loved a series that "godified" riding around in hummers and coming to the little group with suitcase full of money. Not a single "good" person in that series was poor. Also, the way they vilified non-Christians bothered me. All non-Christians, except for a few Jews, were evil. That simply isn't true.

I started reading my Bible much more than ever before. For the first time, I read it cover to cover over the course of several nights without stopping. I had dreams each night that I was in the wrong religion. I had dreams of a jealous, petty god ordering his people, the Israelites, to slash babies' throats. I read more of the Bible, and the more I read, the more I realized that this was not the religion for me. Yet I feared to change. I kept begging God to forgive my doubts, because I was TERRIFIED of Hell. One night, I dreamt of a small child who was burned badly, and when a nun saw her burns, she said to the child, "Be thankful that you are such a good, God-fearing person, or that's what would happen to you forever after you die." When I woke up, I realized that the small child I saw in my dream was me. I was scalded badly as a child, and I even remembered the nun who had said it to me. That's when I knew that I had been brainwashed to fear God, and to fear THINKING. And that's when I stopped fearing my own thoughts, my own beliefs. And I knew I didn't believe in the Bible any more.

Yet through all of that, I could not give up on Jesus. I loved Jesus, and I would keep loving him no matter what. But I wondered how I could reconcile the God I loved with the God depicted in the Bible. I realized I couldn't, because no mainstream religion on Earth has the "right idea" concerning god. God is scattered in grains of truth throughout many, many religions of earth, both mainstream and non-traditional. All religions once drew from the same well of truth, but that well was polluted with so much poison, it is impossible to find an old religion that tells the whole truth now, or even most of it.

When early people saw that religion was polluted, they fell away. Early priests and writers, not God, created Hell and made up rigid rules to avoid it in order to coerce their followers back into belief. Fear is a powerful inducer. If people fell away, they would fail to pay their priests, who would be out of a job, and would lose both wealth and power. The priests couldn't have that, so they had to create fear.

God is not fear. God simply is, and if you choose to believe, if you call upon God and ask for blessings, you can be heard. If you live a good life, you will find the next life builds upon that goodness. If you live a bad life, the next life will build upon that evil. If you choose not to believe, God may not listen to you, but neither will God punish you for it. God is not violence, jealousy or pettiness. He or She does not need the belief of puny humans in order to be great, but priests SURE do! Fear gives them power, or at least it did, until this new generation came along, who are falling away in droves. Fear simply does not compel them as it did their parents.

So, that is why I am no longer a traditional Christian. But in my heart of hearts, I still believe that Jesus came to Earth to teach and help us. His early followers probably couldn't deprogram themselves from their early beliefs, and so they incorporated both old and new religions into one watered-down and mangled message. And they added all the fear that they were raised with. Perhaps there are more than just me who see this, and who return to Jesus' original message, not the Bible fear-mongering, violence and hate. Perhaps one day, religion will truly be borne of love and goodness, not prejudice, fear, exclusivity and an "I'm right and you're going to hell" mentality. JMHO