• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 20 Year Old Daughter Intends To Pose Nude For A College Art Course

PureX

Veteran Member
Again, we're in a subforum of the philosophy forum. So, given that we're - for the moment - wearing our amateur philosopher's hats - we have to sometimes explore uncomfortable ideas...

We are human animals. We cannot pretend to be that far removed from our origins on the savanna. We could counter argue that some strippers work in safe environments, get paid well, and are not being coerced. In those case, we could argue that they are providing a service to people who have animal desires that cannot be ignored and that for these people, this is the safest outlet.

What alternatives would you suggest for that portion of the population not fortunate enough to have willing sexual partners?
Keep in mind they are not being offered "sex partners". They are being offered 'naked puppets' that they pay money to imagine as sex partners, but never actually get to experience as sex partners. In this way, the whole offering is both dishonest, and ineffectual. Resulting, one would think, in some degree of frustration and anger.

As to the animal analogy, I think it is a prime responsibility of every human being to transcend, or at least master, their animal nature. To that end, it is not society's place to "feed the beast", so to speak. But rather, to provide assistance as needed in helping people to gain that mastery and find fulfillment as a human being, and not just some hairless ape with a hyperactive imagination. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If that's an issue, you're in the wrong class, and have the wrong mentality for the project. You're there to draw the posture of the body, the way the muscles are flexed and relaxed, and it's usually a more advanced art class doing this and it is considered a study (and not a quick one, either).

That was sort of my point. The claim was that some signed up for the hope of seeing a nude figure (considering the OP I assumed that one would be hoping to see a nude woman). There are easier ways to see naked people if that is one's goal. An art class does not tend to raise prurient interest, at least not for long.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Not at all. I don't think you'd find anyone in any figure drawing class that would bat an eye.

Frankly, It had never occurred to me that anyone would find anything controversial in posing for a class. I wouldn't give a second thought to a son or daughter of mine posing nude for an art class, at any age.

Must be an American thing...
I've only known one person who showed even the slightest flinch about drawing a nude model. Okay, it was more than a flinch. She wouldn't even enter the classroom and dropped the (required) class the next day.

The rest of us just drew. I don't get some people.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my first school the models were just volunteers from the class. It was all perfectly casual and unremarkable -- and, no doubt, saved money on professional models.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not at all. I don't think you'd find anyone in any figure drawing class that would bat an eye.
Not talking about anyone in the class.

Frankly, It had never occurred to me that anyone would find anything controversial in posing for a class. I wouldn't give a second thought to a son or daughter of mine posing nude for an art class, at any age.
Good for you.

Must be an American thing...
Don't know about all other cultures, but in America, yes. We have some very uptight religious fundies in America, some who even consider girls wearing bikinis to be sluts.

"Leaving Fundamentalism

Growing up as an ultra-conservative Christian, everything is a sin. Here are 22 of them which turned out to be a lot of fun:

8) Bikinis
Bikinis were evil things: They incited men to uncontrollable lust. So women who wore them were sluts, and I was a pervert for finding the sight of women in bikinis enjoyable.

source

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I've only known one person who showed even the slightest flinch about drawing a nude model. Okay, it was more than a flinch. She wouldn't even enter the classroom and dropped the (required) class the next day.

The rest of us just drew. I don't get some people.
Not a surprise.

Many moons ago, back in the 1960's, I went and saw a Swedish movie, and at the beginning of the movie there was a short scene whereas a mother was washing her young daughter in a bathtub, and a number of people got up and left.

Many Americans have a hang-up when dealing with nudity, thus equating it with sex. A much higher percentage of Europeans don't tend to see it that way. And psychological studies have shown over and over again that by having expectations that require more clothing, this only tends to increase erotic tendencies. IOW, it's like a "tease".

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
sayak83 said:
In Indian context this is not going to happen. No such college exists or even likely to exist over the next half a century.
Makes one wonder who posed for the Khajuraho temple sculptures...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes. I was more talking about fashion modeling though.

For art modeling it occurs, but the situation is quite grim,

Nude models and their naked truth - Times of India
According to the link, the model chooses the job over more lucrative options.
To her kids and neighbours, Sangita is a "helper" and even though a ready offer of Rs 15,000 per month as a ward girl waits for her, she hesitates. "If I leave, how will the students study?"
She could be working in a clinic or something. It's not like she's forced to do modeling.
Tom