• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday I had the most Paranormal Experience of My Life

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I must share the most paranormal experience of my life with anyone that cares to listen. This occurred August 2, 2017 between (approximately) 4:30pm and 4:45pm EST.

This is one of those experiences that requires an understanding of the background. There is this theory called the Mandela Effect where people claim reality changes for them. One of the most common claims is people saying that the children TV Show/Books was called ‘The Berenstein Bears’ when they were a kid but is now ‘The Berenstain Bears’ everywhere they look (the final 'e' had become an 'a'). The universe changed for them or is their memory wrong???

Now another example of this is the kid’s 1960’s TV show ‘The Flintstones’. This is a show I watched in reruns all the time. I was certain that it was always spelled Flintstones. Some people are claiming about a year ago or so it had changed for some people to ‘Flinstones’ (no ‘t’ in Flint) everywhere they looked. And now they are shocked to find it is back to ‘Flintstones everywhere they look.

There was a discussion of this on a forum called Reddit. I was debating such an experiencer and challenging him as the skeptic. Here is our interaction:

[–]georgeananda -1 points0 points1 point 20 hours ago (24 children)
Just for clearer clarification, are you saying Wikipedia had no entry for 'Flintstones' during that time for you? Did you actually go to Wikipedia or an official Hanna- Barbara or Flintstone site or even the vitamin site and see only 'Flinstones'?

[–]Retcon_THIS 1 point2 points3 points 19 hours ago (23 children)
The Wikipedia article for the show was The_Flinstones, the opening animation for the show said Flinstones, the vitamins said Flinstones, IMDB said Flinstones...
Why are you giving me the third degree here?

[–]georgeananda -1 points0 points1 point 18 hours ago (3 children)
There is a 't' in each of those. Now, I'm more confused than ever.
And I have no interest in giving you a hard time. I genuinely want to learn about this

(note: my above post makes no sense now. At the time of typing my screen showed the controversial ‘t’ in all four places in the Recon_THIS post)

[–]georgeananda 0 points1 point2 points 18 hours ago (18 children)
Retcon_THIS I HAVE JUST HAD THE MOST PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. YOUR POST ABOVE IS A GAMECHANGER. ON MY STATIC SCREEN DISPLAY THE CONTROVERSIAL 'T" CAME AND WENT AT LEAST 6 OR 7 TIMES IN LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES. I COULD SHIFT MY FOCUS AND THE CONTROVERSIAL "T" WAS THERE. I WOULD LOOK AWAY AND BLINK (CHANGE MY ATTENTION AND FOCUS) AND IT WOULD FLIP-FLOP. THIS IS NOT A JOKE> I WOULD ABSOLUTELY HATE ANYONE THAT WOULD FOOL OTHERS WITHOUT CONFESSING AT THE END. STRIKE ME DEAD IF I AM LYING>REPLY WHEN YOU SEE THIS

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

There seem to be quite a few people convinced that there was a recent period of time where all media displayed "Flinstones" (no "T") for them, rather than the current spelling of "Flintstones". With "T" is what I always remember it being, and that is the spelling that makes sense - "flint" obviously being a stone used initially in crude methods of setting fire, and would have been precious to early man - and "flin" being... well... nothing in relation to the show itself or its subject matter.

For the sake of argument, and not discrediting hundreds of people right off the bat, let's say it is some kind of parallel dimension shiftiness, and that there was some sort of cross-over where "Flinstones" was the spelling to be found everywhere, because that branching of reality exists in some form. I would have to conclude that that dimension is the "dumb" version of ours, where people make up a name like "Flinstone" (having no correlation to anything in or surrounding the show) and deem this a clever title - all the while not realizing how close this is to something that is a step up on the "cleverness scale" - that being "Flintstone".

Also, in the end, why do these "Mandela Effects" so often revolve around SPELLING? In accepting the complex, multi-dimensional explanation, aren't we casting aside a very straightforward explanation? That being that misspelling is an extremely common thing that people do. I would wager it is much more common than dimension striding.

George-ananda

Premium Member
There seem to be quite a few people convinced that there was a recent period of time where all media displayed "Flinstones" (no "T") for them, rather than the current spelling of "Flintstones". With "T" is what I always remember it being, and that is the spelling that makes sense - "flint" obviously being a stone used initially in crude methods of setting fire, and would have been precious to early man - and "flin" being... well... nothing in relation to the show itself or its subject matter.

For the sake of argument, and not discrediting hundreds of people right off the bat, let's say it is some kind of parallel dimension shiftiness, and that there was some sort of cross-over where "Flinstones" was the spelling to be found everywhere, because that branching of reality exists in some form. I would have to conclude that that dimension is the "dumb" version of ours, where people make up a name like "Flinstone" (having no correlation to anything in or surrounding the show) and deem this a clever title - all the while not realizing how close this is to something that is a step up on the "cleverness scale" - that being "Flintstone".

Also, in the end, why do these "Mandela Effects" so often revolve around SPELLING? In accepting the complex, multi-dimensional explanation, aren't we casting aside a very straightforward explanation? That being that misspelling is an extremely common thing that people do. I would wager it is much more common than dimension striding.
Thanks for your thoughts. I was actually arguing in that conversation that Flint made the most sense and I was sure it was always that way.

Well, all thoughts can be put on the table at this point, I am motivated to do some homework.

Just one of those thoughts on the table is that something may be limiting this to only trivial things for a reason. Something??

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Its called the Mandela Effect because so many people believe Mandela died in 1980 not 2013 but on a page of common beliefs 2 got me I remember Eli Whitney the maker of the cotton gin as being a famous black man and I remember the portrait of Henry the VIII with the turkey leg in his hand. It is rather interesting. Neither being true in this reality.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I must share the most paranormal experience of my life with anyone that cares to listen. This occurred August 2, 2017 between (approximately) 4:30pm and 4:45pm EST.

This is one of those experiences that requires an understanding of the background. There is this theory called the Mandela Effect where people claim reality changes for them. One of the most common claims is people saying that the children TV Show/Books was called ‘The Berenstein Bears’ when they were a kid but is now ‘The Berenstain Bears’ everywhere they look (the final 'e' had become an 'a'). The universe changed for them or is their memory wrong???

Now another example of this is the kid’s 1960’s TV show ‘The Flintstones’. This is a show I watched in reruns all the time. I was certain that it was always spelled Flintstones. Some people are claiming about a year ago or so it had changed for some people to ‘Flinstones’ (no ‘t’ in Flint) everywhere they looked. And now they are shocked to find it is back to ‘Flintstones everywhere they look.

There was a discussion of this on a forum called Reddit. I was debating such an experiencer and challenging him as the skeptic. Here is our interaction:

Just for clearer clarification, are you saying Wikipedia had no entry for 'Flintstones' during that time for you? Did you actually go to Wikipedia or an official Hanna- Barbara or Flintstone site or even the vitamin site and see only 'Flinstones'?

The Wikipedia article for the show was The_Flinstones, the opening animation for the show said Flinstones, the vitamins said Flinstones, IMDB said Flinstones...

And I have no interest in giving you a hard time. I genuinely want to learn about this

(note: my above post makes no sense now. At the time of typing my screen showed the controversial ‘t’ in all four places in the Recon_THIS post)

Retcon_THIS I HAVE JUST HAD THE MOST PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. YOUR POST ABOVE IS A GAMECHANGER. ON MY STATIC SCREEN DISPLAY THE CONTROVERSIAL 'T" CAME AND WENT AT LEAST 6 OR 7 TIMES IN LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES. I COULD SHIFT MY FOCUS AND THE CONTROVERSIAL "T" WAS THERE. I WOULD LOOK AWAY AND BLINK (CHANGE MY ATTENTION AND FOCUS) AND IT WOULD FLIP-FLOP. THIS IS NOT A JOKE> I WOULD ABSOLUTELY HATE ANYONE THAT WOULD FOOL OTHERS WITHOUT CONFESSING AT THE END. STRIKE ME DEAD IF I AM LYING>REPLY WHEN YOU SEE THIS
What makes you think it's paranormal and not physiological? Things like this are pretty common, givin how we know the brain works in regards with processing, storage, and recall of memory.

It's pretty straightforward without any paranormal implications.

A Vestigial Mote

Thanks for your thoughts. I was actually arguing in that conversation that Flint made the most sense and I was sure it was always that way.

Well, all thoughts can be put on the table at this point, I am motivated to do some homework.

Just one of those thoughts on the table is that something may be limiting this to only trivial things for a reason. Something??
I do admit that it is rather strange though that there are people (many multiple people apparently) saying that they were searching and saw "Flinstones" everywhere. Wikipedia, the official Hanna-Barbera website, articles etc. and then some time passes and its "Flintstones" in all those same places for them. I obviously can't explain it for them, also didn't experience it, but in the end I can see why the number of people and their insistence gives this sort of "eerie" quality.

A Vestigial Mote

What makes you think it's paranormal and not physiological? Things like this are pretty common, givin how we know the brain works in regards with processing, storage, and recall of memory.

Well, I was also thinking that, especially with the web, a lot more things are malleable, to the point that editing one's post on a particular site could have immediate ramifications for anyone viewing. If the site were coded such that the page pings the servers for updates every few moments, an update could be pushed to the data behind the scenes and be seen to update immediately for anyone viewing.

A Vestigial Mote

Its called the Mandela Effect because so many people believe Mandela died in 1980 not 2013 but on a page of common beliefs 2 got me I remember Eli Whitney the maker of the cotton gin as being a famous black man and I remember the portrait of Henry the VIII with the turkey leg in his hand. It is rather interesting. Neither being true in this reality.
Yes, I have heard of the reasons behind the naming, and thanks for pointing out that it isn't always spelling, obviously. I should have had it in my head the reasons it is being called "Mandela Effect". Of course, dates are also a very commonly misrepresented quantity.

Daemon Sophic

@George-ananda. My first suggestion(s) would be lack of sleep, and/or medications.

It seems to be a problem in data retrieval from long term storage in the brain. Stuff gets lumped together, and it is far from perfect.

In the US, our news agencies only really focused on Mandela when he was realeased from prison, and at his death. For many people, their brains stored both under the heading of Mandela, and mixed 'em up.

Eli Whitney and the cotton gin were probably elementary or middle school history, mixed in with cotton picking slaves, George Washington Carver and Elijah McCoy (two black inventors of the same time period).

Henry VIII was well known for being fat and suffering from gout, due to various overindulgences. Many modern movies and pictures show him as the quintessential king with a drumstick in one hand, and an overflowing glass of wine in the other.

Nous

Premium Member

I heard of the "Mandela effect" a few months ago. Apparently it is (attempted to be) justified on the basis of the Many Worlds interpretation of QM. However, "worlds" cannot interact in such a way. The MWI provides no reason that someone in my world would have a past in a different world--besides the fact that the MWI provides no reason to conclude that there was ever any world where, e.g., Oscar Mayer was spelled Oscar Meyer, or where Flintstones was spelled Finstones.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

I would attribute this to your brain conflating the phonological pronunciation of the word "Flintstones" (where the t after the n is probably silent for most people) with how it visually renders the word. Your brain doesn't pronounce the T, so it gets rid of it when looking at the word.

Dear God I can only imagine what the Mandela Effect must look like for French-speakers.

George-ananda

Premium Member

This was too clear and unexpected for me to believe the psychological theory. I would stare at the 't' or the not 't' for seconds interested only in that.

The interesting thing is my experience seems to rule out the memory issue as we are talking seconds between each flip all within a five minute timespan. 6 or 7 times. And all this on a word untold numbers of people will swear has flipped for them even more than once.

I understand the appeal of a normal explanations but I don't think it is the correct one here.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Well, I was also thinking that, especially with the web, a lot more things are malleable, to the point that editing one's post on a particular site could have immediate ramifications for anyone viewing. If the site were coded such that the page pings the servers for updates every few moments, an update could be pushed to the data behind the scenes and be seen to update immediately for anyone viewing.
I thought of that too. It was a static screen that never have I ever seen change. And to do it for the first and only time in this particular discussion and on that controversial letter? Possible in the remotest sense I guess.

George-ananda

Premium Member
@George-ananda. My first suggestion(s) would be lack of sleep, and/or medications.
I was well rested, zero alcohol and I have never done an illegal drug in my life; not even marijuana.
[
It seems to be a problem in data retrieval from long term storage in the brain. Stuff gets lumped together, and it is far from perfect.

In the US, our news agencies only really focused on Mandela when he was realeased from prison, and at his death. For many people, their brains stored both under the heading of Mandela, and mixed 'em up.

Eli Whitney and the cotton gin were probably elementary or middle school history, mixed in with cotton picking slaves, George Washington Carver and Elijah McCoy (two black inventors of the same time period).

Henry VIII was well known for being fat and suffering from gout, due to various overindulgences. Many modern movies and pictures show him as the quintessential king with a drumstick in one hand, and an overflowing glass of wine in the other.
I'm thinking you didn't read my OP?? My story rules out a long-term memory storage explanation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'm not trying to take the position that you are wrong but a couple of things to note.

Memory is not a reliable resource. In fact your memory can be hacked. You can be made to believe events happened which never happened.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...s-in-peoples-minds-julia-shaw-memory-illusion

Second your perception is not reliable. I recall an experiment were people worn glasses which turned everything upside down for an extended period. After a few days their mind reversed the image. They removed the glasses and now their normal vision was reversed. Fortunately this eventually corrected itself but supposedly scared them off any further research.

So if the mind is capable of completely inverting the world, what other tricks is the mind capable of playing on your vision?

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
I understand the appeal of a normal explanations but I don't think it is the correct one here.
Well, how do you explain it? Again, the MWI of QM does not explain it.

Isn't it kind of strange that (apparently) no one in history of the world ever reported such a thing prior to the past few years?

George-ananda

Premium Member
I heard of the "Mandela effect" a few months ago. Apparently it is (attempted to be) justified on the basis of the Many Worlds interpretation of QM. However, "worlds" cannot interact in such a way. The MWI provides no reason that someone in my world would have a past in a different world--besides the fact that the MWI provides no reason to conclude that there was ever any world where, e.g., Oscar Mayer was spelled Oscar Meyer, or where Flintstones was spelled Finstones.
It's time for theories......

One thought on your comment is maybe our soul experiences all the alternative universes we are in. And our individual stream of consciousness can shift oddly??? Just a theory that raises many questions.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Well, how do you explain it? Again, the MWI of QM does not explain it.

Isn't it kind of strange that (apparently) no one in history of the world ever reported such a thing prior to the past few years?
Yes, it is all strange. Some thoughts:

Maybe human group consciousness is expanding? Consciousness is evolving from the animal to the divine?

High end super physics equipment and experiments??

George-ananda

Premium Member
I'm not trying to take the position that you are wrong but a couple of things to note.

Memory is not a reliable resource. In fact your memory can be hacked. You can be made to believe events happened which never happened.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...s-in-peoples-minds-julia-shaw-memory-illusion
The interesting thing about my story is that it seems to rule out faulty memory as it all happened in seconds.
Second your perception is not reliable. I recall an experiment were people worn glasses which turned everything upside down for an extended period. After a few days their mind reversed the image. They removed the glasses and now their normal vision was reversed. Fortunately this eventually corrected itself but supposedly scared them off any further research.

So if the mind is capable of completely inverting the world, what other tricks is the mind capable of playing on your vision?
Nothing was different from any other day on my computer. And this was probably the most striking event of my life. And a lot of people would have to have the same perception problem to see the same flip. Your theory is possible but I consider it remote. I was looking at a static screen with only one interest. Your theory is possible but I consider it remote. Yes more remote than the exotic explanations after such an accumulation of evidence and my experience.