• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Your Clone Have Your Religion?

dust1n

Zindīq
If the universe can bear 21 Duggars, I think 2 or 3 Ymirs is only fair.

Ugh.. 19 more home-schooled crazy Christians whose parents think relentlessly having complete natural sex is 'letting God decide the number of children they have.' No, it's your because your husband doesn't pull out!

.lava

Veteran Member
So far as I can see, there is no human essence.

if that's true then my clone could be anything. but if we had essence, then any clone of mine would tend to calculate similar and reach the same conclusions eventually. does not matter if we had different experiences, because we would both have same essence that leads us to the very same end

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
So far as I can see, there is no human essence.

I obviously can't say you're wrong - but still I don't agree.
When my kids were born I got a feeling of what they are like and as they have grown they have grown in a manner consistent with who I consider to be them.
Similarly, I do a share of work with people who have experienced various types of brain injury. I always get the sense that there is a 'ness' about people in that situation that underlies their brain injury.

Kerr

If you were cloned, would your clone have your religion? Put differently, how much of religious preference is genetic, innate, inherent, and how much is environmental, learned?
Doubt it, since the clone wouldn´t get a copy of your adult brain. It would have to live and grow on its own and find its own path that may or may not be similar to mine. The environment has a large effect in my experience... but it should be noted that this is not a science thing but a matter of personal experience.

.lava

Veteran Member
Doubt it, since the clone wouldn´t get a copy of your adult brain. It would have to live and grow on its own and find its own path that may or may not be similar to mine. The environment has a large effect in my experience... but it should be noted that this is not a science thing but a matter of personal experience.

what's the difference between two apple seeds? i mean, they could grow in different places, with more or less rain but out come would be the same because they have the same origin. they would both give the expected fruit and they would not taste different. btw i am not saying we are like trees. human is obviously very complicated. well...anyway

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Different input, different output..
But if I would know him I would definatelly become a part of his life, as I would like his output to be part of my input. At the same time my output would also become part of his input..

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If you were cloned, would your clone have your religion? Put differently, how much of religious preference is genetic, innate, inherent, and how much is environmental, learned?

Look at identical twins as they are clones of each other (identical DNA) especially ones that have been separated at birth. They are ideal candidates for research on nature/nurture cases.

Kerr

what's the difference between two apple seeds? i mean, they could grow in different places, with more or less rain but out come would be the same because they have the same origin. they would both give the expected fruit and they would not taste different. btw i am not saying we are like trees. human is obviously very complicated. well...anyway

Humans are not apples. Let me put it this way. How can someone who has had different life experiences then me develop the same personality? How could they develop the same religious views if they have grown up in different religious environments? I grew up with atheist parents. If I grew up with Christian or Muslim or Bhuddist parents I probably wouldn´t have the same view on religion. If I had a clone and the same thing would apply to him, because despite our identical genetic material the environment still matters.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Look at identical twins as they are clones of each other (identical DNA) especially ones that have been separated at birth. They are ideal candidates for research on nature/nurture cases.
If you have a look at identical twins brains post mortem, they are often different to the naked eye.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
One's religious path is often influenced by circumstances in one's life. That being said I think my clone would be of my faith if I were allowed to influence him. But...what else would I teach him? ;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Discounting extreme brainwashing of some type, I can't imagine any person starting with genetic material would be anything other than a rational skeptic, hence an atheist. Seeing that I wasn't raised as an atheist, but from my earliest memories never took anything at face value, and never even believed in things like Santa Claus, I'd say my genetics wired my brain a certain way, which is strongly skeptical. However, it's hard to say how I could have been shaped with extreme brainwashing/indoctrination which utilized powerful psychological shaping tools from a young age. In any range of normal upbrining, I'd say my clones would end up being atheists though.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
An amendment: thinking better on the matter, I've come to conclude that some religions are very cultural, but a few I would basically think a way out of, barring some sort of major neurological impediment or emotional trauma.

I can't think of myself as a reincarnationist, for instance. I may be wrong.

Erebus

I don't think it's possible to say for certain really. My beliefs are a result of various deities actively intervening in my life. Without that intervention I would imagine a clone of myself would probably be a deist or pantheist due to the fact that I always found atheism far too bland for my liking.

Cypress

Dragon Mom
I think she wouldn't.
I think environment can have a greater effect than genetic.
Humans a very adaptable, that helped us to survive.

I am born and rised in Europe, without any religious background.
If my clone were rised in USA in a community of Evangelical-Christinas, she sure would not develope the same interest in Hinduism & Eastern Religions that I have.

Duck

I don't think that were a clone made it would necessarily have the same religion as I, unless the clone was a complete copy (memories as well as genetics) that essentially sprang fully grown from the vat. If, as is more likely with today's technology, the clone were only genetically identical but otherwise had to grow to maturity at a "normal" rate (aka was "born" and aged as a non-cloned human would) the clone would start tabula rasa, and would be a separate individual, as identical twins are separate individuals.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

If cloning were possible, I believe that experiences and environment have a lot to do with who we are. So, in that case, I don't know what my clone would believe. :)

mho123

Atheist

None , no relation whatsoever with genetics and religion .
Genetics have influence on how suceptible you would be on manipulation , but not directly on religion . Religion is a soort of it .