• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you rather meet an Angel or an Alien?

sugnim

If possible, which of these would you rather experience:

1. A 15-minute conversation with a real angel who could offer you definitive proof that God exists, and in what form God exists.

1. A 15-minute conversation with a real extraterrestrial life form who could intelligently tell you about the structure and size of the universe, and could describe its home planet.

Assume that whichever of these you choose, you are still left with an absence of the other. For example, if you choose to meet the extraterrestrial life form, you will gain no additional knowledge about the existence of any deity. And if you choose to meet the angel, you will gain no additional knowledge about life outside of Earth.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

1. A 15-minute conversation with a real angel who could offer you definitive proof that God exists, and in what form God exists.

1. A 15-minute conversation with a real extraterrestrial life form who could intelligently tell you about the structure and size of the universe, and could describe its home planet.

Assume that whichever of these you choose, you are still left with an absence of the other. For example, if you choose to meet the extraterrestrial life form, you will gain no additional knowledge about the existence of any deity. And if you choose to meet the angel, you will gain no additional knowledge about life outside of Earth.

To tell you honestly, an extraterrestrial.

One because humans keep thinking we're the center of the universe, and I think knowing other life forms are possible, that would change their perspective of "we" are chosen to -um, we're alone in this- . It would change the perspective of god and people's place (and pride etc).

I also would think it interesting if we didn't make non-human beings "scary" because like visiting another country, you have different cultures, people, and the like. Seeing a fifty headed dragon who talks Chinese and German with an Italian accent shouldn't bother me in the slightest :confused:

As for an angel, I don't know what that is. If they came, it would be an extraterrestrial (well, not terrestrial but something or other) no different than any other being unknown to humans. God would have to appear on his own. Usually, when you want to make a first impression, you really don't do so through other people and written literature. You introduce yourself and say something and build and actual relationship that is not dependent on the feelings of one person (god or person) but depend on the needs and wants of both interchangeably

David1967

Premium Member

Is there a difference?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
How is the angel going to give definitive proof that God exist? The angel could prove that a powerful being exist in a different realm, but the angel could not prove that being was God. Only you could decide to accept the being as God. God is not something that can be proven, it is something that must be accepted.

I think I would go with the alien as clearly the angel is lying.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I would rather meet an Alien it would be far more interesting. The angel will only increase my knowledge about 1 thing. With the Alien I can learn far more interesting things and possible do some things as well.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

This one, easily.
Do you know how far any one subject in science could advance because of a simple conversation with an alien that can give such information? I could ask it the basics of how to manipulate biology, that would advance us in the direction of forever removing defects and diseases. I could ask it to solve the big questions in physics and chemistry that could propel us forward with momentum that might last for hundreds of years. I could ask about their advancements in any single subject and be able to progress the entire human situation because of it.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

I'd rather talk with an angel. Extraterrestrial life or the lack thereof doesn't impact anybody on Earth for the foreseeable future, but everyone dies. If God exists, then knowledge of His existence and the form of His existence could also very well tell me about the nature of the afterlife. Everyone dies, so knowledge of Who's around and what He has prepared for us on the other side of death is relevant to everyone.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Wouldn't the angel be able to know about life on other planets and the structure of the universe?

David1967

Premium Member
I'd rather talk with an angel. Extraterrestrial life or the lack thereof doesn't impact anybody on Earth for the foreseeable future, but everyone dies. If God exists, then knowledge of His existence and the form of His existence could also very well tell me about the nature of the afterlife. Everyone dies, so knowledge of Who's around and what He has prepared for us on the other side of death is relevant to everyone.

But wouldn't an angel by definition be a form of extra terrestrial life?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I would need a bit more from the extra-terrestrial. Not even a decent home video of his planet? Let me hear from the Angel.

Liu

I'm assuming we understand by angel any spiritual being in direct connection to the supreme deity, not one of any specific religion.

I'd rather be interested in talking to that then. The conversation with an alien might be quite disappointing as I don't see much reason to assume aliens would necessarily be on a fundamentally higher level of technology or societal development as we. So, it would be very interesting, but not likely to give me much worthwhile information, at least not within 15 minutes.

An angel on the other hand would be able to tell me about metaphysics, i.e. how reality actually works, about the afterlife, about how to get immortal etc. - information that on this plane I can only get by guessing and hoping for the best.

However, from what I heard from people who claim to actually communicate with spirits, many say that spirits don't tend to give much information on metaphysics, or if they do they do so in metaphors or outright lies. These people say it's because these matters are either incomprehensible to us anyway, or because it would ruin all the "fun" of trying to figure it out oneself, hindering us from learning from the process.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
But wouldn't an angel by definition be a form of extra terrestrial life?
Technically, yes. But in most contexts, including this one, "extra-terrestrial life" refers to natural, physical organisms that inhabit other planets elsewhere in the physical universe, and does not apply to supernatural beings from outside of the physical universe. At least, that is the assumption I and others made with reference to the OP.

Raahim

مكتوب

Of course an angel, although it's questionable how well we'd understand such description and definitive proof.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My first thought was that an angel could make me understand, but an alien couldn't so my obvious choice is the angel.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The alien without a doubt. I wanna know how to befuddle people into thinking that I'm an angel.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Please can I meet with a benign and very friendly extraterrestrial?

I am a Deist, so I believe that all is God. The ET could tell me more about God's World....

Thankyou.
Should I wait up? :D