• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you marry a gay couple...

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I am an ordained minister, I live in the USA, and I grew up as a very conservative Southern Baptist in Alabama. Knowing that...

I was recently asked if I would ever marry a gay couple. My answer was, YES. The person that asked me that was taken back by my lack of hesitation in my answer. They could not believe what they just heard.

After they recovered from the initial shock, they asked "why?" This was my answer:

In this country, there is a separation of Church and State. The government (State) can't dictate to the Church how it is to be run, what to believe, or who can serve in a clergy-capacity. By the same token, the Church can't dictate the law to the government, regardless of what the issues might be.

I went on to explain that not everyone in this country is a Christian, so why should everyone be subject to Christian "law?" The US Constitution grants rights to all of its citizens, regardless of race, gender, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. Gays have the exact same rights as everyone else, and that includes being married.

That person was speechless. I added that I personally do not agree with a gay lifestyle, but it is not my place to discriminate or judge. To each their own in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

At that point they tried to make some type of come back and the best they could was to mutter something about children seeing two guys kissing in public. While I understand the confusion that might cause in a child, I actually can't recall a time that I have seen that happen. If it does, I will deal with it in my own way with regard to my children.

The last thing they mentioned was how gay men would be sexually abusive to children. I stopped them right there and explained that there is a HUGE difference between being gay and being a pedophile. People can be gay and have no attraction to children what-so-ever.

They walked off.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am an ordained minister, I live in the USA, and I grew up as a very conservative Southern Baptist in Alabama. Knowing that...

I was recently asked if I would ever marry a gay couple. My answer was, YES. The person that asked me that was taken back by my lack of hesitation in my answer. They could not believe what they just heard.

After they recovered from the initial shock, they asked "why?" This was my answer:

In this country, there is a separation of Church and State. The government (State) can't dictate to the Church how it is to be run, what to believe, or who can serve in a clergy-capacity. By the same token, the Church can't dictate the law to the government, regardless of what the issues might be.

I went on to explain that not everyone in this country is a Christian, so why should everyone be subject to Christian "law?" The US Constitution grants rights to all of its citizens, regardless of race, gender, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. Gays have the exact same rights as everyone else, and that includes being married.

That person was speechless. I added that I personally do not agree with a gay lifestyle, but it is not my place to discriminate or judge. To each their own in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

At that point they tried to make some type of come back and the best they could was to mutter something about children seeing two guys kissing in public. While I understand the confusion that might cause in a child, I actually can't recall a time that I have seen that happen. If it does, I will deal with it in my own way with regard to my children.

The last thing they mentioned was how gay men would be sexually abusive to children. I stopped them right there and explained that there is a HUGE difference between being gay and being a pedophile. People can be gay and have no attraction to children what-so-ever.

They walked off.

:hugehug:

I think I can sleep with a smile now.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

They walked off.

Can I ask what is "Christian" about a gay marriage? Can they not get "married" in a non-religious ceremony? Civil ceremonies do not involve sanctioning something God would never recognize.

Matt 19:4-6:
Jesus said....“Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart."

God would never "yoke" together a same sex couple. Marriage mates must be "male and female".
I believe that your logic is sadly flawed and distorted by the world's attitude, not God's. The laws of the land do not override the laws of God. When did he change his mind about homosexuality? Sexual sin is sexual sin...no matter what the gender is.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
Can I ask what is "Christian" about a gay marriage? Can they not get "married" in a non-religious ceremony? Civil ceremonies do not involve sanctioning something God would never recognize.

Jesus said....“Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart."

God would never "yoke" together a same sex couple. Marriage mates must be "male and female".
I believe that you logic is sadly flawed and distorted by the world's attitude, not God's. The laws of the land do not override the laws of God. When did he change his mind about homosexuality? Sexual sin is sexual sin...no matter what the gender is.
There are tragedies in the world every day, children die painful deaths whilst their parents pray to this god. Earthquakes, Tsunamis, etc. happen. Illnesses lead to painful deaths, children are starving, there are droughts, floods....
I could go on.
SO WHY THE HELL IS GOD WORRYING THEIR OVER DEVELOPED MIND WITH WHO LOVES WHO????????

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
There are tragedies in the world every day, children die painful deaths whilst their parents pray to this god. Earthquakes, Tsunamis, etc. happen. Illnesses lead to painful deaths, children are starving, there are droughts, floods....
I could go on.
SO WHY THE HELL IS GOD WORRYING THEIR OVER DEVELOPED MIND WITH WHO LOVES WHO????????

There is a lengthy response to this but if you are closed minded I will not bother posting it. :(

Do you know why there are tragedies in the world? Why children die painful deaths? Why prayers go unanswered?
Why there are wild weather events, droughts and earthquakes? If you know why, then you don't have to ask about something as seemingly trivial as gay marriage.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Yes. I'd rather marry two people of the same sex than two people who have affiliations to the RCC, SBC, LDS, Pentecostal churches, etc.
Afterall... Krishna and Shiva made Ayyappan and gender is mental temporary construction created out of ego. That's what's my view is.
Bodily discrimination is arrogance and only furthers onself from enlightenment and the supreme Personality that is genderless.

Frankly, I'd be more than happy to marry teo people who are gay, atheists or even belonging from the church of Satan.
I honestly would hesitate even going to a wedding where the couple has anti gay sentiments or perform a marriage ceremony of judgmental homophobic adulterers having their 4th marriage.

Subhankar Zac

I believe that your logic is sadly flawed and distorted by the world's attitude, not God's. The laws of the land do not override the laws of God. When did he change his mind about homosexuality? Sexual sin is sexual sin...no matter what the gender is.

Mathew 19:12 means homosexuality is a sin but genesis 1:29-31 don't mean Christians should be vegetarian.

Altfish

Veteran Member
There is a lengthy response to this but if you are closed minded I will not bother posting it. :(

Do you know why there are tragedies in the world? Why children die painful deaths? Why prayers go unanswered?
Why there are wild weather events, droughts and earthquakes? If you know why, then you don't have to ask about something as seemingly trivial as gay marriage.
Have you properly read my response?
Aren't we saying the same thing?
Why do you think I am 'closed minded'?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Mathew 19:12 means homosexuality is a sin but genesis 1:29-31 don't mean Christians should be vegetarian.

I am not exactly sure what the correlation is here? Matthew 19:12 is speaking about those who remain sexually unattached because of their commitment to Christ. This would indeed include those whose sexual orientation is out of line with a the biblical definition of a Christian. It is a sacrifice on their part because they recognize that you cannot be a practicing homosexual and a Christian too. You can be one or the other, so you have to choose. Those who want their cake and eat it too are fooling themselves. You cannot be both.

Gen 1:29-31 acknowledges the food provided by the Creator when humans were in the garden, perfect and sinless, but it is not reflective of what they were to eat once they were evicted for disobedience.
They went from being 'fruitarians" to having to cultivate cursed ground for seed to make "bread". (Matthew 3:19)
After the global deluge, there was again a change in the diet. Meat was added but God did not state a reason for this. (Genesis 9:1-4)

So I am at a loss to understand you using our scripture to criticize a religion to which you do not subscribe? If you have an understanding of said scripture, that might be different...but it appears that you do not.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Not all Christians and denominations share your view on it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Have you properly read my response?
Aren't we saying the same thing?
Why do you think I am 'closed minded'?

Sorry if I misread your post. To me you seemed to be putting all those horrible events squarely at the feet of God...yet none of it is his doing...humans are doing this to themselves.
Even the increase in earthquakes and wild weather can be put down to man's mismanagement of the planet.
Starving children and much of the ill health and suffering are because of man and his lifestyle or political choices. Others suffer because of what other humans are doing e.g. what is happening with the refugee crisis.

Yet, God is aware and he cares about ALL of it, yet you made it seem as if the gay marriage was so far down the list that it didn't concern him. He had very specific laws on sexual conduct among his people and homosexual conduct was right up there with other serious misdeeds. The other things might seem more important, but to a perfect God all imperfection needs rectifying. This is what is promised by the rule of his kingdom. (Matthew 6:9-10) God's will is to be done "on earth as it is in heaven".

Subhankar Zac

I am not exactly sure what the correlation is here? Matthew 19:12 is speaking about those who remain sexually unattached because of their commitment to Christ. This would indeed include those whose sexual orientation is out of line with a the biblical definition of a Christian. It is a sacrifice on their part because they recognize that you cannot be a practicing homosexual and a Christian too. You can be one or the other, so you have to choose. Those who want their cake and eat it too are fooling themselves. You cannot be both.

Gen 1:29-31 acknowledges the food provided by the Creator when humans were in the garden, perfect and sinless, but it is not reflective of what they were to eat once they were evicted for disobedience.
They went from being 'fruitarians" to having to cultivate cursed ground for seed to make "bread". (Matthew 3:19)
After the global deluge, there was again a change in the diet. Meat was added but God did not state a reason for this. (Genesis 9:1-4)

So I am at a loss to understand you using our scripture to criticize a religion to which you do not subscribe? If you have an understanding of said scripture, that might be different...but it appears that you do not.

Matthew 19 beginning speaks in the context of divorce. "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"... Nowhere is it asked if homosexuality is okay or not.
To this Jesus says.
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’? and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

A context clearly in the context of divorce, not homosexuality, not incest, not pre marital sex, not bestiality... But divorce.
But since you have to bring at least something up to condemn a minority at all costs, let's consider your point as well.

Then the most ignored passage comes which conservatives care little about

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."
So, divorce that is OPENLY MENTIONED AND CONDEMNED is Christian but gay marriage isn't because even though Jesus said nothing on this issue, there has to be something done to reverse this logic and condemn homosexuality but accept Divorce.
:)

Those who want their cake and eat it too are fooling themselves.- huh? o_O