• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipping wrong Gods

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry, but Thor, Krishna and Jesus are not the same deities. That's just nonsense. Thor would smash them both with his hammer.

Again a frame of reference. If at one time God did give a Message through Thor, then what was remembered was God's all encompassing power. Krishna and Jesus have a lot in common, the list would be long. Here is one look at that;

KRISHNA AND CHRIST

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why? Why should the experience of others be important for me?That alone is not enough, Ian. You must accept a 19th Century Iranian preacher as the last in line of Moses, Abraham, Jesus, Mohammad and others, but must not accept anyone after him. Tony explains it in the rest of his post.
Done with your unashamed proselytization, Tony?

It is perfectly logical answer to the OP, I see it is the God given answer, you can choose not to see it in that way, Ian's has his own choices in that regard.

You can also ask of yourself, why are your ideas any more valid? Why are they not a proselytization of your stance?

I hope you are safe and well, likewise your family.

Regards Tony

danieldemol

Premium Member
Dear Forum Members

I'm new to this forum and I would like to share something with you that has preoccupied my mind for some time now:

Premise 1: There is a God.

Premise 2: There is an afterlife, the quality of which will depend largely on how I worship this particular God during my lifetime....

...What are your thoughts on this? Is there a way out of this conundrum for believers? Or is there a flaw in the argument?

Best regards

Ian
Hi Ian,
Welcome to RF :)
I’m genetically inclined to accept your first premise, but reject premise2.

Our quality of afterlife depends solely on how virtuously we lived our life. Not on how we worshipped God

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just remember, they are your views about science as I see Science and Religion are in harmony, and can not be seperated.
Science and religion are in conflict in almost all religions except in 'Advaita' Hinduism. If Bahai religion was according to science, it would have asked for evidence for Allah and for the claim of the Iranian preacher being Allah's manifestation.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Science and religion are in conflict in almost all religions except in 'Advaita' Hinduism. If Bahai religion was according to science, it would have asked for evidence for Allah and for the claim of the Iranian preacher being Allah's manifestation.

Again that is a view you have chosen to implement in your life, it is not my view as I see life clearly in advice such as this;

"If thou dost ponder a while, it will be evident that it is incumbent upon a lowly servant to acquiesce to whatever proof God hath appointed, and not to follow his own idle fancy."

The Báb, Selections from the Writings of the Báb, p. 122

I am happy that the proof of God is the Messengers and what they offer to us, I am happy it is up to me and each of us to decide if they are the Proof and if so, live as they have instructed us to do by the example of their own lives and the Word then offered.

I desire to let their will be done in life and long to and strive to subdue my personal will, that is not in harmony with that will.

To me True science will also ultimately submit to that power, that is far greater than anything we can discover. Only then will science, like faith be a lasting benefit to humanity.

I wish you a happy and fulfilling life in Advaita Hinduism.

Regards Tony

How many other gods have you studied prior to making that statement? ...

Why should I need to study them, when they obviously have nothing to say to me? If they would want to tell something important to me, I think they would have taken care that I hear it, similarly as Bible God has taken care.

But I think I know many of them, and about 99 % of them are at the same level as your left foot shoe, or some common people. If I would keep people as my god, why wouldn’t I as well keep myself as a god? I think it would be ridiculously stupid.

ManSinha

Why should I need to study them, when they obviously have nothing to say to me? If they would want to tell something important to me, I think they would have taken care that I hear it, similarly as Bible God has taken care.

But I think I know many of them, and about 99 % of them are at the same level as your left foot shoe, or some common people. If I would keep people as my god, why wouldn’t I as well keep myself as a god? I think it would be ridiculously stupid.

More ineffectual assertion - if the "Bible God" works for you - fine - but anything other than that are mere assertions nothing else - the entire Muslim world, the Hindu world and a whole host of others would not deign to agree with you - that makes your grandiose statement suspect at best and a weak pathetic attempt at ineffectual braggadocio at worst.

I could easily say that the "Bible God" is a vindictive jealous personality who would probably be charged with crimes against humanity if he were to show his face in the world today.

I shall offer a challenge to you - prove what I underlined in your post above - without using any scripture - I am willing to bet you cannot - which makes your statement hogwash.

There are plenty of others that would disagree with your view point - also your post points out your tendency to dig in - you have no strength of character to make a deep study of others beliefs or question your beliefs - but like I said - if it works for you fine

Just try to refrain from making declarative statements that can easily debunked by half of the posters on RF

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"If thou dost ponder a while, it will be evident that it is incumbent upon a lowly servant to acquiesce to whatever proof God hath appointed, and not to follow his own idle fancy."
The Báb, Selections from the Writings of the Báb, p. 122
Like Bab and like every other claimant in monotheistic religions, escape routes in every direction, because nothing can be proved.
I could easily say that the "Bible God" is a vindictive jealous personality who would probably be charged with crimes against humanity if he were to show his face in the world today.
There is no God, what to talk of a vindictive or loving God. Just primitive superstitions that still survive because they have been institutionalized.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If there was a God that was righteous and true it's going to take courage and deserve just to approach such God. Unfortunately there is no evidence of such a God. However I believe such a God would only be interested in your character and not your beliefs. It's not like the game show ' Let's Make A Deal ' where you must in a short time choose correctly which is right or you lose.

Give Holy God some credit for understanding the human plight. I must work within the areas only I can control. If I have a clear conscience that has done no unjust harm, and have done all I can to do the best I can, then I shall live blamelessly.

To understand what is good conscience is quite simple. Only a jaded heart would blind someone to the simplicity of conscience. If there is truth working in the world then God will make a way for those who earnestly seek. If no God, then we are truly on our own.

As for me, I have seen repentance, and I have seen deserve in other human beings. I have seen evil, and I have seen goodness from other people. I have not come across a holy, and reasonable God though.

But if there is such God I know all that is required is that I do with all my might discover what's true and what is good. Accepting no substitute nor counterfeit, nor any pacifying falsehood. And if I land wrong in my full earnestness and honesty no big deal.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If I could say, followers of monotheistic religions are today's pagans. They have been rooted in their ancient beliefs for millenniums and would not change even in spite of science trashing their beliefs about creation and evolution.
As for me, I have seen repentance, and I have seen deserve in other human beings. I have seen evil, and I have seen goodness from other people. I have not come across a holy, and reasonable God though.

But if there is such God I know all that is required is that I do with all my might discover what's true and what is good. Accepting no substitute nor counterfeit, nor any pacifying falsehood. And if I land wrong in my full earnestness and honesty no big deal.
No. He would not. You have to accept Jesus as the son or Mohammad as the last messenger in the two major monotheistic religions; and in the 'me toos', Joseph Smith in LDS, Bahaullah in Bahai and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad in Ahmadiyyas. No go without that. You can't reason with God / Allah or the people whom he dispatches to the world.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If I could say, followers of monotheistic religions are today's pagans. They have been rooted in their ancient beliefs for millenniums and would not change even in spite of science trashing their beliefs about creation and evolution.
No. He would not. You have to accept Jesus as the son or Mohammad as the last messenger in the two major monotheistic religions; and in the 'me toos', Joseph Smith in LDS, Bahaullah in Bahai and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad in Ahmadiyyas. No go without that. You can't reason with God / Allah or the people whom he dispatches to the world.

Then obviously they are all the wrong Gods. I was looking for a real God. I used to seek God. I don't go by the current menu of Gods. Christianity was enough rubbish for me. Bahaullah works with all the other Gods as if they are all the same.
It doesn't pack any punch with me.

I save time by ignoring them all! All the Gods are man made. I can invent better ones. I agree. And no I'm not the next me too prophet.

I actually went through the process of finding God in my youth. I found none. I was explaining my best method of finding God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Dear Forum Members

I'm new to this forum and I would like to share something with you that has preoccupied my mind for some time now:

Premise 2: There is an afterlife, the quality of which will depend largely on how I worship this particular God during my lifetime.

Premise 3: Worshipping other Gods than the one and only real God will negatively affect my afterlife.

Premise 4: There are/have been thousands of religions wordwide worshipping thousands of different Gods in different ways.

Conclusion: If, as a believer, I accept Premises 1-4, my chances of worshipping the one and only real God are very small and this may severely compromise the quality of my afterlife.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a way out of this conundrum for believers? Or is there a flaw in the argument?

Best regards

Ian
there is only ONE Almighty
use any name you dare to

bigger, faster, stronger, most intelligent and greatly experienced

if He can be pushed aside.....He is not the Almighty
circumvented......not the Almighty
subdued....not the Almighty

tricked or cheated.....not Him

Top of the line …...life form

the First in mind and heart

and for having believed......you shall have your day of reckoning

good luck

...I shall offer a challenge to you - prove what I underlined in your post above - ...

Some people have kept golden calf as their God. One can be found on Wall Street.

golden calf on wall street - Google Search

Don’t you believe it speaks as much as your left foot shoe? Do you really disagree with this?

Just try to refrain from making declarative statements that can easily debunked by half of the posters on RF

Sorry, I have not seen any evidence for that.

ManSinha

But I think I know many of them, and about 99 % of them are at the same level as your left foot shoe,
You used the term "99%" in your post and you come up with one example - sheesh - do better - give me at least a hundred considering there more than a 100000 different gods out there including yours

Sorry, I have not seen any evidence for that.
More ineffectual assertion - if the "Bible God" works for you - fine - but anything other than that are mere assertions nothing else - the entire Muslim world, the Hindu world and a whole host of others would not deign to agree with you - that makes your grandiose statement suspect at best and a weak pathetic attempt at ineffectual braggadocio at worst.

I just did - or is your reading comprehension lacking? Another challenge if you have the guts to do it (I suspect not) - start a thread and assert that your "Bible god" is the "best" or "only" or "most powerful" or whatever epithet you want to use - see how quickly and unambiguously you get shot down - that will prove the point I made - now I even outlined "how you can see evidence of that" - if you do not have the courage - that is your problem

You did not answer the other questions in my post

Last edited:

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's upon God to show the way, and there are misleading ways, and if he wished, he would have guided us all together (a verse to this effect).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dear Forum Members

Premise 2: There is an afterlife, the quality of which will depend largely on how I worship this particular God during my lifetime.

Premise 3: Worshipping other Gods than the one and only real God will negatively affect my afterlife.

Premise 4: There are/have been thousands of religions wordwide worshipping thousands of different Gods in different ways.

Conclusion: If, as a believer, I accept Premises 1-4, my chances of worshipping the one and only real God are very small and this may severely compromise the quality of my afterlife.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a way out of this conundrum for believers? Or is there a flaw in the argument?

Best regards

Ian

It's not small, because, clear guidance is distinct from misguidance, if you look and strive you will find it.