• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipping wrong Gods

Clear

Premium Member
Dear Forum Members

I'm new to this forum and I would like to share something with you that has preoccupied my mind for some time now:

Premise 1: There is a God.

Premise 2: There is an afterlife, the quality of which will depend largely on how I worship this particular God during my lifetime.

Premise 3: Worshipping other Gods than the one and only real God will negatively affect my afterlife.

Premise 4: There are/have been thousands of religions wordwide worshipping thousands of different Gods in different ways.

Conclusion: If, as a believer, I accept Premises 1-4, my chances of worshipping the one and only real God are very small and this may severely compromise the quality of my afterlife.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a way out of this conundrum for believers? Or is there a flaw in the argument?

Best regards

Ian

I like @Harel13s' point that a just God can only hold you responsible for the information he has given you. One is not responsible for information he is not given. For example, in the christian context, an egyptian farmer of 2000 b.c. cannot be expected to accept a Jesus he has never heard of and a religion he has no access to knowledge of. While there is a mechanism by which a just God fixes this problem of lack of knowledge, still, in absence of that knowledge, a just God cannot condemn the egyptian farmer for not accepting the Judeo-Christian religion during his lifetime.

Clear
σιειδρω

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You have no idea who Thor is, do you? Lol.

To that reply I would say, you have not, in any way, understood what I was offering in that reply. God has sent many Messengers, many of those names have been lost in time, men have made up some names for God and worshipped those names for what ever reason they have choosen to do so.

If God sends a Messenger they are the revalers of the attributes, which men in turn inspire to become.

Regards Tony

...start a thread and assert that your "Bible god" is the "best" or "only" or "most powerful" or whatever epithet you want to use - see how quickly and unambiguously you get shot down -....

Best seems to be subjective opinion. Whatever I would say, one could say, “I don’t think so”. It would not lead to anywhere.

But, if you have trouble to see what is best God, please tell one option that you think is better than your shoe, maybe we can continue from that and come to reasonable solution for you?

ManSinha

But, if you have trouble to see what is best God, please tell one option that you think is better than your shoe, maybe we can continue from that and come to reasonable solution for you?

My opinion is irrelevant since you made the assertion - now you are turning the question on me
It does not work that way - if you cannot defend your assertion / position / perspective - move on
You got nothing except your beliefs which you are entitled to

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
To that reply I would say, you have not, in any way, understood what I was offering in that reply. God has sent many Messengers, many of those names have been lost in time, men have made up some names for God and worshipped those names for what ever reason they have choosen to do so.

If God sends a Messenger they are the revalers of the attributes, which men in turn inspire to become.

Regards Tony
Uh huh. Sounds like you can't answer the question. It's fine.