• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipping wrong Gods

Ians

Dear Forum Members

I'm new to this forum and I would like to share something with you that has preoccupied my mind for some time now:

Premise 1: There is a God.

Premise 2: There is an afterlife, the quality of which will depend largely on how I worship this particular God during my lifetime.

Premise 3: Worshipping other Gods than the one and only real God will negatively affect my afterlife.

Premise 4: There are/have been thousands of religions wordwide worshipping thousands of different Gods in different ways.

Conclusion: If, as a believer, I accept Premises 1-4, my chances of worshipping the one and only real God are very small and this may severely compromise the quality of my afterlife.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a way out of this conundrum for believers? Or is there a flaw in the argument?

Best regards

Ian

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to RF!
Premise 3: Worshipping other Gods than the one and only real God will negatively affect my afterlife.
How about, God takes into account certain circumstances that led you to a false religion?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Dear Forum Members

I'm new to this forum and I would like to share something with you that has preoccupied my mind for some time now:

Premise 2: There is an afterlife, the quality of which will depend largely on how I worship this particular God during my lifetime.

Premise 4: There are/have been thousands of religions wordwide worshipping thousands of different Gods in different ways.

Conclusion: If, as a believer, I accept Premises 1-4, my chances of worshipping the one and only real God are very small and this may severely compromise the quality of my afterlife.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a way out of this conundrum for believers? Or is there a flaw in the argument?

Best regards

Ian

There is no wrong god because they are all mental puppets. It really doesn't matter.

There are wrong puppet masters though who can do horrendously terrible acts in the name of their God.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian

I am not a believer (I was one though). I like your line of questioning.

Welcome to the forum :)

cataway

how about this premise. when dead , your dead body lays in the grave until the day of the promised resurrection happens .

Ians

Welcome to RF!

How about, God takes into account certain circumstances that led you to a false religion?

Good point, but these "certain circumstances" could be anything (or nothing). For example, would being born and growing up in a culture where a false religion is practised (again, this would apply to most believers) be seen as an "excuse"?

Ians

There is no wrong god because they are all mental puppets. It really doesn't matter.

There are wrong puppet masters though who can do horrendously terrible acts in the name of their God.

There is no wrong God as in there is no God?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If, as a believer, I accept Premises 1-4, my chances of worshipping the one and only real God are very small and this may severely compromise the quality of my afterlife.

Assuming these premises then there is also the possibility that chance does not factor into it. You said your "Chances" would be low; but it may not be a matter of chance but of selection. Chance assumes randomness. Perhaps there is some selection process that you can find?

It also sounds logical, unless you feel that you have favor with God. Some people feel they have favor. What some other people do is presume that all people have favor with God. I'm talking about Universalists. I don't know much about them, but here is the Wikipedia article: Christian universalism - Wikipedia

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Not the slightest sign of existence of any any God.
2. Afterlife is not for you, it is for the molecules that make up your body.
3. If there is/are no Gods (and Goddesses), what are you worshiping?
4. Right. Time that we abandon this idea and get real.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian
Do you accept these premises as true?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point, but these "certain circumstances" could be anything (or nothing). For example, would being born and growing up in a culture where a false religion is practised (again, this would apply to most believers) be seen as an "excuse"?
Good point.

Sp0ckrates

Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian
Hi, Ian! A logical argument is only as good as its weakest link. Since I agree in part with (1) and (2), the only premise I personally wonder about is (3). Will you provide another argument to support this premise?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian

Welcome to RF. Sit back, relax and enjoy the cake

3291372281_d72ef5e24f_b.jpg

As for your propositions. Believe what you want to believe, without evidence all you can have is belief.

ManSinha

I shall take a shot

1. There is no after life. Either you are in this world (the Maya or Leela) or you are merged with the light
2. Worshipping any god is fine - as long as you are contented by that
As the Gita says -

Gita 7:21

yo yo yāṁ yāṁ tanuṁ bhaktaḥ śhraddhayārchitum ichchhati
tasya tasyāchalāṁ śhraddhāṁ tām eva vidadhāmyaham

Whatever celestial form a devotee seeks to worship with faith, I steady the faith of such a devotee in that form.

Gita 7:22

sa tayā śhraddhayā yuktas tasyārādhanam īhate
labhate cha tataḥ kāmān mayaiva vihitān hi tān

Endowed with faith, the devotee worships a particular celestial god and obtains the objects of desire. But in reality I alone arrange these benefits.

My interpretation - worship whom you like and who most puts your mind at peace - in reality - there is one supreme divine underlying it all

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian

My personal recommendation, based on those premises, is to worship the God with the hottest hell.

Ciao

- viole

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian
Hinduism says that virtuous deeds are rewarded regardless of belief.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Dear Forum Members

Best regards

Ian
Like @Harel13 , I would question your 3rd premise, not least because of your 4th.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Definitely.