• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshiping God in Short Skirts

Skwim

Veteran Member
050bd82e81373d6149734ff00bebaf4ed753af.jpg

proper-dress-small-15.jpg
modesty%2B14.JPG
HG_Dress_Eng_WA.jpg

Anyone care to explain why dressing a particular way in church is so important?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You don't want to distract the spiritual sense with sexuality. You go to spiritual places for spiritual experience and do not want to lose that focus. Modest dress that does not attract attention is best.
If you are not able to concentrate on your spirituality because you are distracted by your horniness, that is on you, not the one "distracting" you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Skwim

Christian Churches value modesty in dress. How one dresses or presents oneself to god shows how that person respects god not only in behavior but in how they approach him as well. It's also a way of "hiding" sin/flesh. My mother's mother wanted to die in a white dress. She felt that white (and many baptist church goers where white) is purity and cleanness in presence of god.

When we go to weddings, interviews, and formal occasions, we dress up. If Christians dress up for "men" why wouldn't Christians want to dress in their finest for their lord?

Skwim

Veteran Member
@Skwim

Christian Churches value modesty in dress.
Yes, some of them do. Hence my question

How one dresses or presents oneself to god shows how that person respects god not only in behavior but in how they approach him as well.
So, why do some Christians believe that the way one dresses is showing respect? Why is it a woman wearing a knee length skirt more respectful than the woman wearing a skirt an inch above the knee? Is there some written Respect Rule that Christians consult?

It's also a way of "hiding" sin/flesh
Exposing an inch of leg above the knee is exposing one's sins? Just where did this one come from. I can only conclude you feel this young girl is really sinful.

2015-nueva-moda-ni%C3%B1a-de-ni%C3%B1os-que-arropan-el-sistema-2-unidades-set-top-estampado-de.jpg_640x640.jpg

If Christians dress up for "men" why wouldn't Christians want to dress in their finest for their lord?
For their lord? I doubt it. The answer that comes quickest to mind is, to show off to other female congregants---typical female behavior.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
1 Timothy 2:9-10:
"...the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing,  but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works."

Romans 12:1-2:
"Therefore, I appeal to you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason.  And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

2 Cor 6:3-4:
"In no way are we giving any cause for stumbling, so that no fault may be found with our ministry; 4 but in every way we recommend ourselves as God’s ministers..."

Respect for our Creator is demonstrated by how we groom ourselves. As ministers of the kingdom of God we are his representative in the world. Would a man show up to a meeting with a head of state dressed in old shorts and a T-shirt? Would a woman dress in provocative clothing like a prostitute if she were to gain an audience with royalty?

Simple respect...its dying in the world sadly. :(

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's part American culture. Religious setting or not, there is a high degree of "showing too much of your body in public" is morally wrong. In the Bible (and other religions) lust is a huge tempter of sorts. I don't know why men can have no shirts and women can't; but, I think it has to do with the behavior when we see each other "naked." It's linked to privacy, intimacy, and things of that nature.

So, going naked to god would be presenting once flesh to him. Flesh meaning sin. So, they dress up, cover their hair, wear hats, etc as a result.

That I understand. What I don't understand is when Adam and Eve were naked, they didn't feel ashamed of themselves. It was only until someone told them they should cover themselves that they felt shamed.

So, in a sense, Christians are doing the exact opposite of what was originally thought pleasing to god. He didn't want people to hide themselves from him. But Christians do in an indirect manner by dress.

I don't think there is much more answer to that. I'd look at it from a Muslim perspective. The god of Abraham through the Muslim perspective would shed some light why traditional Christians cover themselves up.
Yes, some of them do. Hence my question

So, why do some Christians believe that the way one dresses is showing respect? Why is it a woman wearing a knee length skirt more respectful than the woman wearing a skirt an inch above the knee? Is there some written Respect Rule that Christians consult?

Exposing an inch of leg above the knee is exposing one's sins? Just where did this one come from. I can only conclude you feel this young girl is really sinful.

2015-nueva-moda-ni%C3%B1a-de-ni%C3%B1os-que-arropan-el-sistema-2-unidades-set-top-estampado-de.jpg_640x640.jpg

For their lord? I doubt it. The answer that comes quickest to mind is, to show off to other female congregants---typical female behavior.

If a woman not a girl wore clothes that showed more skin that culturally appropriate here in America, they would view it as a sexual gesture. Some sexual gestures and not wearing clothes at all can cause problems between people around. So, it seems more of a control-the-people as well.

I think most of it is political not religious.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You don't want to distract the spiritual sense with sexuality. You go to spiritual places for spiritual experience and do not want to lose that focus. Modest dress that does not attract attention is best.
There is probably something to that, but I'm not sure when or how sexuality became such a serious distraction from spirituality.

Myself, I think there is something deeply spiritual in acknowledging and channelling properly the sexual drives that we have.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about Gods wearing short skirts and the proper way to worship them?

Like for example the proper way to bow before your God without look up his or her skirt. Because that can be tricky.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
There is probably something to that,
Thanks
but I'm not sure when or how sexuality became such a serious distraction from spirituality.
Your mind can only attend to one thing at a time. The power of sexual attraction for many becomes distracting to the max.
Myself, I think there is something deeply spiritual in acknowledging and channelling properly the sexual drives that we have.
Perhaps, but we want to help those who came to keep their minds on their spiritual devotion.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What I don't understand is when Adam and Eve were naked, they didn't feel ashamed of themselves. It was only until someone told them they should cover themselves that they felt shamed.

Actually, the shame they felt was from within themselves. A knowledge of evil had opened up to their minds all manner of sexual sin that their naked bodies now presented to them. They themselves covered their reproductive parts with fig leaves, but it was God who made long garments of animal skin for them, denoting that merely covering their private parts was not enough. Modesty in dress was the standard for all God's people.

Isn't it curious that this notion of shame came first in connection with sexual sin? This is the sin connected with the sacred transmission of life....something very dear to the heart of our God, yet ruined by the knowledge that God wanted to keep to himself. He knew that a knowledge of evil would not benefit them in any way, but as free-willed beings, they had to find out for themselves. :(

So, in a sense, Christians are doing the exact opposite of what was originally thought pleasing to god. He didn't want people to hide themselves from him. But Christians do in an indirect manner by dress.

What Christians are doing is emulating what God did for Adam and his wife in Eden....covering their bodies so as not to conjure up sinful thoughts. Keeping sin under control has been a battle ever since.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Eh. I don't agree with such thing as "sexual sin." When we are not harming our bodies and others, we should not be ashamed of who we are in the flesh and not just spirit. They go together.

I'd also think it's a bad move on god's part to let satan tempt Eve. Free will can exist without evil needing to tempt Eve to find it. I also feel that's an ego thing. "I want to obey god but if god was the ruler of me, then I wouldn't have free will."

I want to do what god does and what I want to do at the same time.

The manner the Bible is written, everything is for god only. Individuality (choosing to do things a part from god) is a sin. Holding on to an illusion of free will and thinking there is nothing wrong as long as we choose right is an illusion. Either one obeys god (follow his commands) or not.

My co-worker (I keep mentioning her. She's a good example) when she is at her lowest, she goes in front of god, covers her hair, lays flat on the floor, and literally submits herself to god. I don't see any liberal positions in the Bible. So, I'd say free will is an illusion. It's an ego thing.

What Christians are doing is emulating what God did for Adam and his wife in Eden....covering their bodies so as not to conjure up sinful thoughts. Keeping sin under control has been a battle ever since.

I find that a conflict with the sexual part of themselves which is not in itself sinful. Without satan, Adam and Eve wouldn't have that feeling they need to cover up. It would be natural just as we take a shower or dress in front of our mates. We'd be comfortable with ourselves and with god.

Once you cover yourself, you're basically doing what satan wants you to do. Cover yourself up to hide from god. It's modesty to mainstream Christianity; but, genesis doesn't portray modesty in covering up. Sexual sin was after the fall not before.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I find that a conflict with the sexual part of themselves which is not in itself sinful. Without satan, Adam and Eve wouldn't have that feeling they need to cover up. It would be natural just as we take a shower or dress in front of our mates. We'd be comfortable with ourselves and with god.

I agree. Without satan, leading the woman into sin, she would not have tempted her husband into disobedience along with her. Both had their own reasons for eating the fruit, yet both experienced the same penalty......aging and death.
God created them naked without shame. Shame came only with a knowledge of sin. Uncovering ourselves in front of our mates is a sign of the sanction that God places on the marriage arrangement. Sexual activity is not sinful in marriage.

Once you cover yourself, you're basically doing what satan wants you to do. Cover yourself up to hide from god. It's modesty to mainstream Christianity; but, genesis doesn't portray modesty in covering up. Sexual sin was after the fall not before.

Once you feel shame...that is sin inside you. We don't walk around naked in public because it is considered shameful. Stripping someone naked in front of others is done to humiliate them.

Covering up after the fall is what God wanted humans to do, not satan.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Once you feel shame...that is sin inside you. We don't walk around naked in public because it is considered shameful. Stripping someone naked in front of others is done to humiliate them.

I understand. This is a cultural moral not universal. In some countries, you'll see people practically naked and that's normal. You have up in PA Amish where it's the direct opposite. Then you have age differences. I can't paint a "god brush" on everyone. Shame isn't sinful. It's a natural reaction and it's not limited to revealing oneself without clothes. Some people walk around naked in their homes. Others go to nude beaches. I hear some say if they allowed it, they'd rather have a nude society.

It's not wrong just our culture is so deep in Christianity that it leaves no free thought for people who don't share Christian morals. Very political and *cough cough * Roman.