• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worldview

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
From my perspective, one doesn’t get a worldview by identifying with those positions. It is really the other way around. One’s worldview naturally results in one identifying with those positions. For instance, if one’s anthropology or understanding of the human being (which is an aspect of one’s worldview) is that human beings are at the top while animals are for our satisfaction, one would probably not be a vegetarian or vegan.
From your perspective where would such an anthropology or understanding originate?

Kfox

Much in the same way individual words, all which have their own definition, come together to get a single thought.
We use words to relay our thoughts, and when doing this all the words used are in relation to each other. Using my example; to be Christian has nothing to do with being a Democrat; the two are unrelated; so why call such a worldview Christian if both of these are equally the result of your worldview?

Kfox

What is it that you want 'worldview' to be?
I'm trying to make it make sense to me.
If a worldview is each persons individual and unique compilations of beliefs regarding all or most aspects of life, and therefore no two worldviews will or can be identical, does that present a problem for you? What is it you are looking for?
Because there are sooo many unique compilations of beliefs regarding all aspects of life, it does not make sense to me to pick one (like atheism) and call it your worldview; why not just call them your opinions?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
We use words to relay our thoughts, and when doing this all the words used are in relation to each other. Using my example; to be Christian has nothing to do with being a Democrat; the two are unrelated; so why call such a worldview Christian if both of these are equally the result of your worldview?
I think the barrier you're running into here is trying to assign labels to worldviews.

Kfox

From my perspective, one doesn’t get a worldview by identifying with those positions. It is really the other way around. One’s worldview naturally results in one identifying with those positions. For instance, if one’s anthropology or understanding of the human being (which is an aspect of one’s worldview) is that human beings are at the top while animals are for our satisfaction, one would probably not be a vegetarian or vegan.
But if a person for example; has a Christian worldview and has understandings concerning humanity on a hundred different issues, most having nothing to do with Christianity, why call his worldview a Christian worldview?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Lots of opinions for such a topic.

I have one: Mankind is 'defining' itself.
How does this answer the OP question? It's asking what a worldview is, not what yours is. Did you just find this to be an opportunity to propagate yours?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree. If we didn't assign labels, we might as well call it your opinion; agree?
No. I find the need to assign labels to be a barrier.

Was that the purpose of this thread? An attempt to demonstrate that a worldview is nothing more than opinion?

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
But if a person for example; has a Christian worldview and has understandings concerning humanity on a hundred different issues, most having nothing to do with Christianity, why call his worldview a Christian worldview?

My opinion is that his or her worldview would be a kind of Christian worldview. A Christian worldview that is influenced by other factors. This kind of thing is normal; nothing is 100% this or that.

MikeF

Premium Member

Certainly.

Because there are sooo many unique compilations of beliefs regarding all aspects of life, it does not make sense to me to pick one (like atheism) and call it your worldview; why not just call them your opinions?

Perhaps then, it is simply a matter of simplicity of speech, or an understanding that some issues can fundamentally affect other areas of belief such that focusing in on that aspect can cover a lot of ground in terms of how the concept of worldview relates to a broader conversation.

So, while it is understood that a theistic (a very broad general category) is one aspect of a particular persons complete worldview, whatever is being discussed is most impacted by that worldview contributing belief system. One may say "your theistic worldview" while fully realizing that what is meant is "your worldview which contains this or that particular theistic belief system".

If you want to substitute 'belief' with 'opinion', fine. If you would rather not use this term 'worldview' and instead use something like "your complete set of opinions on all aspects of life", that is fine too. I think most folks have an idea that it is simply a shorthand way of saying "all the stuff you believe about the world" with any adjective attached acting as a que that the speaker is focusing on a particular subcategory of what makes up one's worldview.

In my view, anyway. :)

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You mentioned assumptions an individual makes concerning how they know what they know, assumptions they make concerning the nature of reality, and how those assumptions form their ethical perspective. To me that sounds like a personal journey that might lead to a worldview rather than an explanation of what a worldview actually is
Maybe it's a bit of both. Doesn't have to be an either-or, yeah?

Personally, I wouldn't characterize my metaphysical, epistemological, and ethical perspectives as a personal journey I took. The personal journey would be the actual life events that shaped how I developed those perspectives.

For example, I can definitely point to the observations in my life as a kid that led me to stand by the notion "it's all real" in terms of metaphysics. I observed how incredibly inconsistent and illogical adults were in the usage of terms like "real" and "exists." I observed how adults would weaponize what they decreed to be "existing" and "real" to control others - to shut down conversation, destroy directions of inquiry, turn off critical thinking, and on the whole be closed-minded killjoys. I wanted none of it. I still don't. I still observe these things constantly today. The metaphysics came after these observed, lived experiences for me - the journey wasn't the metaphysics.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Worldview IS a label.
As much as any other concept that has a word assigned to it is. But that's not what I was talking about here.

The it would be helpful to drop all preconceived notions of what a worldview is and listen to those who are doing their best to help make the term make sense to you.

Kfox

My opinion is that his or her worldview would be a kind of Christian worldview. A Christian worldview that is influenced by other factors. This kind of thing is normal; nothing is 100% this or that.
I think you're on to something here. I can see if you are Christian, and Christianity is the most influential aspect of your life, that it colors your political, moral, economical, and all the other views you have concerning all the other issues you have in life, if your Christianity is more important than everything else, I can see that as a Christian worldview. However if you don't have a particular views that stands out among everything else, I don't see how such a person would have a worldview. Do you agree? If not, tell me where I've gone wrong.

Kfox

Certainly.

Perhaps then, it is simply a matter of simplicity of speech, or an understanding that some issues can fundamentally affect other areas of belief such that focusing in on that aspect can cover a lot of ground in terms of how the concept of worldview relates to a broader conversation.

So, while it is understood that a theistic (a very broad general category) is one aspect of a particular persons complete worldview, whatever is being discussed is most impacted by that worldview contributing belief system. One may say "your theistic worldview" while fully realizing that what is meant is "your worldview which contains this or that particular theistic belief system".
That would make perfect sense if Theism is the most important aspect of your life effecting all other aspects of your life, however if you don't have one aspect of yourself that rises above all others, I don't think worldview as being described is something that can be applied to you.
If you want to substitute 'belief' with 'opinion', fine. If you would rather not use this term 'worldview' and instead use something like "your complete set of opinions on all aspects of life", that is fine too.
I don't think I've ever had a conversation where there was a need to articulate a complete set of opinions on all aspects of life. Usually when it comes to my opinions, it is expressed in the context of whatever conversation I am having (my political opinion, my moral opinion, my economical opinion, etc.)

Kfox

As much as any other concept that has a word assigned to it is. But that's not what I was talking about here.
How is what you're talking about different?
The it would be helpful to drop all preconceived notions of what a worldview is and listen to those who are doing their best to help make the term make sense to you.
If I weren't listening, I wouldn't be able to ask questions pertaining to the responses they've given me.

MikeF

Premium Member
That would make perfect sense if Theism is the most important aspect of your life effecting all other aspects of your life, however if you don't have one aspect of yourself that rises above all others, I don't think worldview as being described is something that can be applied to you.

If you don't find the word or concept useful then by all means don't use it. Perhaps now you have a better understanding of the variety of ways others may use it and it can give you an opportunity decipher what they are trying to say.

I don't think I've ever had a conversation where there was a need to articulate a complete set of opinions on all aspects of life. Usually when it comes to my opinions, it is expressed in the context of whatever conversation I am having (my political opinion, my moral opinion, my economical opinion, etc.)

Cool.