• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Peace - Is it possible?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
During 1985 during the cold war the Universal House of Justice (governing body of the Baha'i Faith) sent a document titled "the Promise of world peace" to all world leaders:

The Promise of World Peace—The Universal House of Justice

Early on it stated:
World peace is not only possible but inevitable. It is the next stage in the evolution of this planet—in the words of one great thinker, “the planetization of mankind”.

Whether peace is to be reached only after unimaginable horrors precipitated by humanity’s stubborn clinging to old patterns of behaviour, or is to be embraced now by an act of consultative will, is the choice before all who inhabit the earth. At this critical juncture when the intractable problems confronting nations have been fused into one common concern for the whole world, failure to stem the tide of conflict and disorder would be unconscionably irresponsible.

Is world peace really achievable?

What does your Faith or ideology have to say about world peace?

What are the barriers and the prerequisites for its establishment?

What can we do?

allfoak

Alchemist
During 1985 during the cold war the Universal House of Justice (governing body of the Baha'i Faith) sent a document titled "the Promise of world peace" to all world leaders:

The Promise of World Peace—The Universal House of Justice

Early on it stated:
World peace is not only possible but inevitable. It is the next stage in the evolution of this planet—in the words of one great thinker, “the planetization of mankind”.

Whether peace is to be reached only after unimaginable horrors precipitated by humanity’s stubborn clinging to old patterns of behaviour, or is to be embraced now by an act of consultative will, is the choice before all who inhabit the earth. At this critical juncture when the intractable problems confronting nations have been fused into one common concern for the whole world, failure to stem the tide of conflict and disorder would be unconscionably irresponsible.

What can we do?
Never trust governments desire to consolidate power.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Is RF peace possible? As soon as we have peace on this debate forums website then I'll believe in world peace. Here we have people that basically know each other and have nothing other than self value attached to the site. If the site crashes or goes off-line tomorrow no one is physically or monetarily hurt. Yet how close is this site to peace. People block other people, people get enraged from a word debate. I simply don't see the RF ever having peace and if the RF can't the world never will.

Electus de Lumine

Magician of Light

What can we do?

Yes.

It is accomplished via furthering human understanding.

Overcoming the barriers set by Yahweh upon humanity and human ignorance.

Learn of and question all.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
If we cannot find peace within ourselves, we cannot expect to live in a peaceful world.

Agreed. Any real change in the world needs to begin with ourselves. We can't hope to create in the world something we lack. What you have said gives great power to individuals because each of us can make changes in our own lives to make the world more peaceful.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Is RF peace possible? As soon as we have peace on this debate forums website then I'll believe in world peace. Here we have people that basically know each other and have nothing other than self value attached to the site. If the site crashes or goes off-line tomorrow no one is physically or monetarily hurt. Yet how close is this site to peace. People block other people, people get enraged from a word debate. I simply don't see the RF ever having peace and if the RF can't the world never will.

So not too promising for world peace theno_O

Can we have peace within ourselves and with others?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
World peace is a very long term project that has been in the works for the majority of recorded History. Today people believe war is not good. That is a major improvement. War has never been so unpopular.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
World peace is a very long term project that has been in the works for the majority of recorded History. Today people believe war is not good. That is a major improvement. War has never been so unpopular.

That's so important to have an historic perspective and view how far we have come. How can we lessen the chances of war?

allfoak

Alchemist
god-zapping-world.jpg

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Any person can have self peace but if they have to deal with others it will be short lived.

"Hell is other people" Jean Paul Sartre

Sound like you're not really feeling the love on RF at the moment. Could that change?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
god-zapping-world.jpg

Love it!

I really like RF but have tried to avoid conflict and contention as it results in more heat than light.

All the Faiths are about peace. We need to better understand how come religion becomes derailed and starts promoting values that contradict the core message.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
"Hell is other people" Jean Paul Sartre

Sound like you're not really feeling the love on RF at the moment. Could that change?

On the contrary the RF is one of the best forums I have ever been on. I have been on it 8 years. In that time I know of 3 attacks on the site. uncountable numbers of people disciplined. Myself put on notice once. Over that time several of the regulars have never soften on multiple disagreeable stances. I am just realistic. If anyone ever asked me for a good place to debate religion without hesitation it would be the RF. The RF is not at peace and if it in all its greatness can not be at peace how will the world.

The hand of God would be the only solution but God seems fine with discord.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So forget about world peace?:)
Pretty much. As long as we are in a world of diverse opinions and ideas you can pretty well kiss ideas of world peace, "Good bye".
It is inevitable that ideas and opinions will collide. As it should be...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That's so important to have an historic perspective and view how far we have come. How can we lessen the chances of war?
We can help prepare the way for people in the future. They will need to know about us to connect to the past, because the world is changing in our lifetimes. We can write our autobiographies honestly and in detail. Leave Historical records in hidden chambers that will be discovered for ages. Put History everywhere, so that whatever happens people will not wonder where they came from and what problems were solved before them.