• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

world oil reserves gone in 19 years

Should we act now before its too late

• yes

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

james dixon

Premium Member
PEAK OIL

Oil production forecasts on which predictions of peak oil are based are sometimes made within a range which includes optimistic (higher production) and pessimistic (lower production) scenarios. A 2013 study concluded that peak oil “appears probable before 2030,” and that there was a “significant risk” that it would occur before 2020,[4] and assumed that major investments in alternatives will occur before a crisis, without requiring major changes in the lifestyle of heavily oil-consuming nations. Pessimistic predictions of future oil production made after 2007 state either that the peak has already occurred,[5][6][7][8] that oil production is on the cusp of the peak, or that it will occur soon.[9][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

Oil production
World oil production rose by only 0.6 million b/d in 2017, below average for the second consecutive year

Production fell in the Middle East (-250,000 b/d) and South & Central America (-240,000 Kb/d) but this was outweighed by growth from North America (820,000 b/d) and Africa (390,000 b/d).
https://tinyurl.com/y9mzffoc

Spiderman

Veteran Member
PEAK OIL

Oil production forecasts on which predictions of peak oil are based are sometimes made within a range which includes optimistic (higher production) and pessimistic (lower production) scenarios. A 2013 study concluded that peak oil “appears probable before 2030,” and that there was a “significant risk” that it would occur before 2020,[4] and assumed that major investments in alternatives will occur before a crisis, without requiring major changes in the lifestyle of heavily oil-consuming nations. Pessimistic predictions of future oil production made after 2007 state either that the peak has already occurred,[5][6][7][8] that oil production is on the cusp of the peak, or that it will occur soon.[9][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

Oil production
World oil production rose by only 0.6 million b/d in 2017, below average for the second consecutive year

Production fell in the Middle East (-250,000 b/d) and South & Central America (-240,000 Kb/d) but this was outweighed by growth from North America (820,000 b/d) and Africa (390,000 b/d).
https://tinyurl.com/y9mzffoc
People were frantic about oil 20 years ago.

So, what exactly should we do about it?

BTW, I'm a bum (like John the Baptist) only this bum walks, bikes, or takes bus or train. They use the oil whether I'm there or not.

In other words, i don't use any oil. Now what do you want me to do sir?o_O

james dixon

Premium Member
Folks, I am not a dooms day person that has lost all hope and just want you to fear the future too. I am an optimist just like others here but I am not relying on God to save us. If He wanted to save us He would not have allowed wars or the invention of the gun or the hydrogen bomb. Instead He gave us the right to choose our own future and I am confident mankind will make the right choices when the time comes.

The world is, as I see it, unfolding as it should

My advice is to sit back, do the right thing when called upon to do so, smile and enjoy life while you can.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
People were frantic about oil 20 years ago.

So, what exactly should we do about it?

BTW, I'm a bum (like John the Baptist) only this bum walks, bikes, or takes bus or train. They use the oil whether I'm there or not.

In other words, i don't use any oil. Now what do you want me to do sir?o_O
@David1967 has always been the epitome of Jesus Christ, in more ways than one.:babyangel:

Surely he has the answer.

So, King David, what shall be done? What percentage of the population should be euthanized? Think of how much longer the oil would last us! :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oil is a finite resource. So far we've been able to extract enough of it to meet our needs, often with new technology, but also at increasing environmental, social and health expense.

We could race for new solutions when the supply dwindles, or invade regions that still have oil, but the most practical and cheapest option would simply to be pro-active and get ahead of the problem before it becomes a problem.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
All I care about regarding natural resources is the beetles, cockroaches, crickets, superworms, and caterpillars to feed my tarantulas.

I worry not about oil!

Unlike oil, they never run out! I keep it simple! :D

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I dunno. We buy from America I assume. But the war on terror was and is a purely American phenomenon.
You also must watch lots of movies with American and British actors too?

I only saw one movie in Australia with Australian actors and it was about pedophiles. Very disturbing!

Back to oil. Well, what can I say...use it while you can. If we or are children's children must live without it, we will survive without it.

The Roman Empire found other ways of surviving without automobiles, planes, and trains. We can do a lot better than the Romans I am sure! ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All I care about regarding natural resources is the beetles, cockroaches, crickets, superworms, and caterpillars to feed my tarantulas.

I worry not about oil!

Unlike oil, they never run out! I keep it simple! :D
If your main concern in life is feeding your spiders, why would you expect anyone to take you seriously on larger issues?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If your main concern in life is feeding your spiders, why would you expect anyone to take you seriously on larger issues?
No, its not my main concern.

I was joking. But it is something I delight in that the earth provides.

However, my existence doesnt really take up any oil...only on really rare occasions.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You also must watch lots of movies with American and British actors too?

I only saw one movie in Australia with Australian actors and it was about pedophiles. Very disturbing!

Back to oil. Well, what can I say...use it while you can. If we or are children's children must live without it, we will survive without it.

The Roman Empire found other ways of surviving without automobiles, planes, and trains. We can do a lot better than the Romans I am sure! ;)
Sure mostly Brits and Americans. Aussie produced stuff mostly contains various game show, reality shows, documentaries, children's programming or overseas movies with Aussie actors. Like Pirates of the Carribean or The Dark Knight. Although I think Mad Max is purely Aussie.

We stand on the shoulders of Romans. Everything from science to academia to architecture to even democracy is because of Rome. At least in the West. So I would not be so quick to say we can do better. At least not around classical nerds.

David1967

Premium Member
@David1967 has always been the epitome of Jesus Christ, in more ways than one.:babyangel:

Surely he has the answer.

So, King David, what shall be done? What percentage of the population should be euthanized? Think of how much longer the oil would last us! :D

Umm. You're starting to scare me a bit Pope.o_O

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Umm. You're starting to scare me a bit Pope.o_O
I've just always admired you....no, I'd never agree on euthanizing the population cept for it should be available to those who want it...

But, it used to be that mother nature killed off a lot of the people who were injured, disabled, or had various afflictions...now we have ways of keeping them alive and I wonder, maybe we should let nature take it's course and let God take people home, rather than keep them alive to be paralyzed from the neck down and live a life of torture...

Regarding oil running out in 19 years...idk...just thought you'd have something insightful to say about it. ;)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Sure mostly Brits and Americans. Aussie produced stuff mostly contains various game show, reality shows, documentaries, children's programming or overseas movies with Aussie actors. Like Pirates of the Carribean or The Dark Knight. Although I think Mad Max is purely Aussie.

We stand on the shoulders of Romans. Everything from science to academia to architecture to even democracy is because of Rome. At least in the West. So I would not be so quick to say we can do better. At least not around classical nerds.

Of course I don't agree with you, but I had to rate your post winner because you talked about Rome like it gave birth to Democracy, Western Civilization, and is the greatest thing that ever happened to the world.... and some of the spirit of Rome lives on in the Roman Catholic Church, which over a billion people adhere to and which does more than any other institution on earth to build schools and universities, shelter the homeless, build hospitals, care for the sick, and feed the hungry.

But I know how highly you think of the Roman Catholic Church and how you talk like nearly all the clergy and hierarchy touch little boys! :rolleyes:

Back to oil.... planes, trains, and automobiles are a ****ing abomination against God!:mad: Look at how many people they leave dead or in wheelchairs! :eek: Oil is very costly and ruins many lives! :p

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Folks, I am not a dooms day person that has lost all hope and just want you to fear the future too. I am an optimist just like others here but I am not relying on God to save us. If He wanted to save us He would not have allowed wars or the invention of the gun or the hydrogen bomb. Instead He gave us the right to choose our own future and I am confident mankind will make the right choices when the time comes.

The world is, as I see it, unfolding as it should

My advice is to sit back, do the right thing when called upon to do so, smile and enjoy life while you can.
Okay...but you rant about oil on my North Korea thread and elsewhere...why not start 17 threads about oil?
just giving ya a bad time! :D

Since when did oil become a Deity to obsess about and worship?

So many civilizations for so many centuries got by without planes, trains, and automobiles...if we run out of oil, we'll find ways to get by. It isn't that difficult to sail across the sea, peddle a bike, or ride in a carriage pulled by horses! Easy does it mate ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

David1967

Premium Member
Just givin you a bad time :p

You seemed down to earth and what not! :)

Sorry if I freaked you out!

You didn't freak me out. I was just kidding around with you. As far as insight into oil running out soon? I doubt it. But when it does we will go to something else. dont know what at this point though.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course I don't agree with you, but I had to rate your post winner because you talked about Rome like it gave birth to Democracy, Western Civilization, and is the greatest thing that ever happened to the world.... and some of the spirit of Rome lives on in the Roman Catholic Church, which over a billion people adhere to and which does more than any other institution on earth to build schools and universities, shelter the homeless, build hospitals, care for the sick, and feed the hungry.
Well I wouldn't go that far. It's just shaped us, is all. Like Chaucer shaped English poetry. Or I dunno, how the Back to the Future Franchise shaped Rick and Morty. I mean it's cool and all, it's important and interesting to learn about. But I'm more of a Lit/myth nerd than a history one. So perhaps I'm not the one to go to for waxing lyrical about those Romans.
And the Church should do those things anyway because of Jesus.And surely bragging about it all haughtily goes against the spirit of the Church, would you not agree?

But I know how highly you think of the Roman Catholic Church and how you talk like nearly all the clergy and hierarchy touch little boys! :rolleyes:
You know that half my family are Roman Catholic, right? They were blackmailed into converting, like many of my relatives in Fiji, even to this day.
And the clergy having a thing for choir boys is an easy joke, especially on the internet. Tis a meme in and of itself. Honestly, what is with your conspiracy theories? You hold far more animosity towards the Catholic Church going by your posts on here. I merely mock and jest, but remain largely indifferent. Though Cathedrals are often pretty.

Back to oil.... planes, trains, and automobiles are a ****ing abomination against God!:mad: Look at how many people they leave dead or in wheelchairs! :eek: Oil is very costly and ruins many lives! :p
Lol. To be fair, the industrial revolution killed thousands. Gave us Dickens though. Not sure if that is a square deal or not, but oh well.