• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

world oil reserves gone in 19 years

Should we act now before its too late

• yes

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A professor named Alexander Tyler observed that once people learn how to get money out of the treasury that causes economic collapse, thus a democracy can't last much more than 200 years.
This prof fancies himself as Hari Seldon, eh?
If so, we're living on borrowed time...half a century or so.

Milton Platt

Drill more burn more. I say we place penalties on fossil fuel efficiency and pollution at the same time. We want less efficient without the smog.

It’s all about the money. As renewables become more cost efective (either by lowering their cost or the cost of fossil fuels rising) there will be a natural shift to renewables. As oil becomes more scarce, the cost will rise and renewables will come into play more rapidly.
We will almost certainly wait until it becomes a crisis, at least in the U.S., unfortunately. I am skeptical of your timeline, but haven’t the time to verify it right now. Any such projections are based on a number of assumptions, any of which may be wrong. For one thing, proven reserves is not the same thing as what is actually in the ground.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It’s all about the money. As renewables become more cost efective (either by lowering their cost or the cost of fossil fuels rising) there will be a natural shift to renewables. As oil becomes more scarce, the cost will rise and renewables will come into play more rapidly.
We will almost certainly wait until it becomes a crisis, at least in the U.S., unfortunately. I am skeptical of your timeline, but haven’t the time to verify it right now. Any such projections are based on a number of assumptions, any of which may be wrong. For one thing, proven reserves is not the same thing as what is actually in the ground.
Correct. Proven reserves are estimates of what we have found today with current technology. Improving technology will remove more oil from sources that are "tapped out" by today's standards. And rising prices will open up areas to expiration that are currently protected. All that it takes to overturn a presidential executive order is a new President.

Milton Platt

Correct. Proven reserves are estimates of what we have found today with current technology. Improving technology will remove more oil from sources that are "tapped out" by today's standards. And rising prices will open up areas to expiration that are currently protected. All that it takes to overturn a presidential executive order is a new President.

Took a quick “google” to see what I could find. Saw estimates from the low 40’s (years) to as much as 114 years. So my take is that no body actually knows with any degree of certainty.

Found this, from 2017

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Took a quick “google” to see what I could find. Saw estimates from the low 40’s (years) to as much as 114 years. So my take is that no body actually knows with any degree of certainty.

Found this, from 2017
I would bet on something more towards the higher figure. Human ingenuity being what it is. And with the recent advances in electric vehicles, along with growing environmental awareness it could be much greater.

David T

Premium Member
Well I am being a smart *** anyway of course I would prefer less impactful clean technologies I mean I actually am shocked how little connection to nature we have. That said, as long as we have cheap oil it limits thing. So burn it all!!!!!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
We could always steal more...The fact that Donald Trump is president is evidence that Americans are more important than anybody else, right? :p

Besides, I thought I remember people saying we had 19 years left 19 years ago. o_O

james dixon

Premium Member
I remember hearing about this on the news when I was like 7. My father at the time said he heard the same thing 20 years ago. :shrug:

You could have inserted the phrase, don't cry wolf or something like that. The Old Testament states that there will be a great flood. As of yet no one has been able to identify "that" flood but this does not prove there never was one.

In short those naysayers of the past were wrong but that does not mean they are wrong today.

Setting aside prophesy and relying on modern science and known facts, oil & natural gas are finite. Sooner or later the prediction of the end of oil/gas will be become true and folks who discount reality will be caught with their pants down while looking head on into a bitter cold winter.

james dixon

Premium Member
And higher prices also motivates development of alternative sources.

Higher prices just means fewer people can afford it. While the rich lay cozy in their high-rise condominiums; the less fortuity will go without.,.,.,.,., and freeze to death during the better cold winter nights.

Trump will be living on the top floor with mirrors on all the walls so he can see how big and smart he is day in and day out.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Trump will be living on the top floor with mirrors on all the walls so he can see how big and smart he is day in and day out.

I'm happy for him! He reminds me of King David and Solomon. God could always give Donald a change of heart and give him correction. Perhaps Trump is doing Gods will and God wants him to be filthy rich and narcissistic?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I want to make an optimistic case here. We are well on our way to renewable energy to help replace oil reserves. The technology is there, now it is all about making it affordable. If I am not mistaken we have surpassed coal but I am not entirely sure about oil. As these momentum continues (and I think it will), this will get a little better with each passing year. There are quite a few initiatives and projects taking place all over the world. In a time full of paranoia, I am actually pretty confident here. We will see if my confidence is misplaced.
I like your optimism. Yuval Noah Harari, in his book Sapiens makes a strong case for humankind overcoming each of the hurdles we've faced through technological innovation.

I too think we'll get there...we just need to want it a little more than we currently do. But one must suppose that as the world becomes less and less hospitable to human life, through our own carelessness, that will change. Be nice if it was in time, though...:rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Higher prices just means fewer people can afford it. While the rich lay cozy in their high-rise condominiums; the less fortuity will go without.,.,.,.,., and freeze to death during the better cold winter nights.

Why take such a pessimistic view? Rich people know that without regular people, which includes the poor, they won't be rich very long. Rising costs always generates new inventions. Frankly we will be better off without oil. Sadly we will not run out before even more damage is done.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You could have inserted the phrase, don't cry wolf or something like that. The Old Testament states that there will be a great flood. As of yet no one has been able to identify "that" flood but this does not prove there never was one.

In short those naysayers of the past were wrong but that does not mean they are wrong today.

Setting aside prophesy and relying on modern science and known facts, oil & natural gas are finite. Sooner or later the prediction of the end of oil/gas will be become true and folks who discount reality will be caught with their pants down while looking head on into a bitter cold winter.
Well I'm not one to accept doomsday lightly. Yes oil is finite, yes I absolutely would prefer renewable energy any day. But I still doubt I'll see it depleted in my lifetime. Perhaps the generation below me, I don't know.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well I'm not one to accept doomsday lightly. Yes oil is finite, yes I absolutely would prefer renewable energy any day. But I still doubt I'll see it depleted in my lifetime. Perhaps the generation below me, I don't know.
Does Australia get much oil from the "war on terror"?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
New estimates of worldwide crude oil reserves total 1.651 trillion bbl
(1,651,000,000,000)
https://tinyurl.com/ycvg5odz

In 2010, global crude oil demand was 86.4 million barrels per day.
86,400,000,000x365=315360000000000000
Daily global crude oil demand 2006-2018 | Statistic

1,651,000,000,000/315360000000000000=19 years left

My math might be off but it looks like, at current rate of consumption all the known oil reserves will be used up in 19 years.

If the numbers are correct, we need to act now before it is too late !!
Any suggestions?
Im afraid not my friend.

"Seek yeah first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added unto thee.." Jesus Christ

The God who parted the red sea can provide the oil.

Remember the lillies of the field?

You are so worried about this temporary life.

We are to store up treasures in the next life.

Heaven is our home. Earth is but a brief journey and God wants us all to die, therefore death is beautiful, because 10 out of 10 people die. God wants it!

Once we all are dead, it won't matter whether we had oil or not! ;)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure I heard the same thing about twenty years ago.
This!

God made the impossible possible like he filled Elijah's jar of oil which never ran out!

All you need is Christ! God is love! As the beetles said, "all you need is love".:heart:

100 years from now none of us will care about oil! ;)

It's all about love baby!:thumbsup: