• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World’s Most Persecuted Minority

SkylarHunter

Somehow if feels like we're going backwards straight into the dark ages again. What a sad world where people insist in not learning anything valuable including the most basic principle of respect and love one another.

gsa

Prager is a right wing extremist. There's no doubt that Christians are persecuted in some Muslim majority areas, but I can think of any number of groups that have it much worse in those same areas (homosexuals and any non-recognized religious minority, for example). To claim a media conspiracy of silence is stunning, given that leaders of Christian institutions are busy persecuting homosexuals and others in Russia and certain African countries, for example. Indeed, the same right wing Christian missionaries and activists decrying Islamic persecution are inciting violence against gay Liberians, and in fact American conservative outlets like the Washington Times endorse the anti-gay campaign.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It is true that Christians face fierce persecution in many parts of the world. And I would like to see more atheists and agnostics and other non-Christians in the west realize and acknowledge this fact. We are talking about serious religious persecution, and we should all speak out against it.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I am definitely sure that the Christians in these Muslim majority countries are being heavily persecuted, it is a tragedy for sure, and I hope that more people realize this. I don't know how accurate the numbers in this video are, but they are believable.

On the flip side now though, I really don't think that Christians are the most persecuted religious minority in the world. The way this is presented is misleading. Christianity isn't a minority (except in the way this is presented). With that logic, Native Americans are the most persecuted racial minority, because they are being oppressed by an entire governmental system.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Prager is likely just pandering to his conservative audience. I have read him for quite a while and listened to him on rare occasions on the radio, and I have very little respect for his self-serving tactics.

Reactions: gsa

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd say Muslims are the most persecuted.
Who else sees the irony in this?
Frubie to the first to post it!
(And be sure to tag me when you do.)

gsa

It is true that Christians face fierce persecution in many parts of the world. And I would like to see more atheists and agnostics and other non-Christians in the west realize and acknowledge this fact. We are talking about serious religious persecution, and we should all speak out against it.

I have no problem acknowledging it, but I really do not believe that addressing persecution is the impetus here (as reflected in that video). Amnesty International and other human rights organizations document religious persecution very well without attempting to use it as a pretext for military intervention, for example.

In the vast majority of cases, the governments that are actively persecuting Christians are far more actively persecuting dissidents generally. The problem is that these examples have been co-opted by groups that equate application of non-discrimination laws (i.e., laws that protect atheists and religious minorities, LGBT people, etc) with "persecution" in the West. The reality is that the global face of religious intolerance is a complex and nuanced one, often just as easily explained through the lens of ethnic conflict or political struggle. The real target of these campaigns in the US, however, is the alleged "liberal blind spot," which is basically a reflection of an unjustified victim complex on the part of conservative Christians.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
well...it is unavoidable that Christian minorities in those countries are almost tolerated and in some cases even persecuted.
who should we blame? Surely the absence of secular governments; because locals respect Christians. It's the religious-political authorities (which are the same authority) who make the laws, not the people.
besides I deeply believe that creating martyrs is useless. Christians should think of their safety and if they are not safe in those countries, they should leave.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I think it is sad that this happens to Christians in these countries. I've read some terrible things myself, but I don't think that makes them the most persecuted minority. I think gay people will soon be replaced by atheists in that regard, as most nations are now accepting of homosexuality. Atheists are misrepresented, marginalized, etc. even in western nations.

Levite

Higher and Higher
It's certainly true that Christians living in Muslim countries are persecuted in many ways. However, considering Christianity is the dominant religion in the Western world, and Christian culture dominates and infuses every European, North American, and South American nation, it seems a fairly hard case to make that Christians are the world's most persecuted minority.

Especially given that, in many if not most of the nations over which Christianity holds sway, non-Christians face prejudice, and there is widespread sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and racism which is often grounded in or framed with fundamentalist Christian thought.

lombas

Society of Brethren
I wouldn't say atheists are misrepresented in - say - Western Europe. In some countries, like my own, it is not done to publicly state Christian beliefs guide your political ideology, regardless of the existance of a christian democratic party. It's secularism to the max.

Of course, publicly stating your Islamic beliefs doesn't only raise eyebrows but make you even more suspicious.

However, Christians being a minority of millions and millions of people in Iraq and Syria and both communities having been severely repressed these latest years, I would say Christianity could be the most persecuted religion. That could be a misuse of the term "persecution" because I guess some government action needs to be involved which isn't exactly the case.

melk

christian open minded
Surely this video doesn't reproduce reality and there must be a idological bias in it. But surely there is persecution of christians in many countries nowadays, mainly muslims countries. The sins of christianity along the history and the sins of the christian churches, where they are actually dominant, must not let us relegate those crimes, which seems to reproduce the suffering of our early martyrs.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
LOL! The title is a laugh!

Yes sometimes they are persecuted (as has been pointed out, - with a lot of other groups,) however, - they often bring such on themselves.

Why are they proselytizing in countries were they know the converts are going to get persecuted?

Why are they sneaking into countries that don't allow proselytizing, or Christianity, - and then screaming persecution when they get arrested and thrown in prison?

Why in some countries - do Christians tattoo crosses onto their children - knowing the crosses set them up for abuse? And I might add, - giving the child no choice in religion, - and permanently marking a body that doesn't belong to them?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP is actually counter-productive, to my mind.
Why is there some need to proclaim Christianity (or any other group) as the world's most persecuted? Is it some sort of giant pissing contest? Certainly, the need to be the best at being persecuted is a strange form of martyrdom.

What I would absolutely agree with is that Christians are being persecuted in too many parts of the world, and it would be better for this to cease. Mind you, there are a whole RAFT of other groups I could say the same about.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Christians a minority?

I can understand if they're persecuted in some countries in the world. It's not surprising at all. In those countries, homosexuals, and anyone of non-state-approve religious views are persecuted, not just Christians.

But that aside, I con't see how the "world's most persecuted minority" can be represented by 2.2 billion people... It's the largest religious group in the world, and "minority" doesn't mean largest, but something smaller than the majority.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Christians a minority?

I can understand if they're persecuted in some countries in the world. It's not surprising at all. In those countries, homosexuals, and anyone of non-state-approve religious views are persecuted, not just Christians.

But that aside, I con't see how the "world's most persecuted minority" can be represented by 2.2 billion people... It's the largest religious group in the world, and "minority" doesn't mean largest, but something smaller than the majority.

They're outnumbered by non-Christians. I suspect that is what's meant.
(And noooooo....I'm not defending that opinion)