• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word of the day

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If this is in the wrong subforum please move it.

Anyway...I used to have a fifth grade teacher who would give us a vocabulary word for the day. It was so helpful. They stuck with me. Vocabulary is good to know. I often hear people use words I don't know and it sux!

So the word today was ontological. I had no clue what it meant. relating to or derived from ontology.
Ontology is the philosophical study of the nature of being, becoming, existence, or reality, as well as the basic categories of being and their relations.

So what is a word or words you like or that you found very helpful to know the meaning of?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So the word today was ontological. I had no clue what it meant. relating to or derived from ontology.
Actually, both were derived from ontologic, from the medieval/post-classical Latin ontologicus, based on the form of the Greek word "to be" (estin) in participial form (ὄντως) together with logia/logos. In other words, the study of that which exists or is.

So what is a word or words you like or that you found very helpful to know the meaning of?
merry-andrew.

Last edited:

Faybull

If this is in the wrong subforum please move it.

Anyway...I used to have a fifth grade teacher who would give us a vocabulary word for the day. It was so helpful. They stuck with me. Vocabulary is good to know. I often hear people use words I don't know and it sux!

Ontology is the philosophical study of the nature of being, becoming, existence, or reality, as well as the basic categories of being and their relations.

Faybull

Word of the day is punk. He has the last name baker, a fake just a luck, tattoo on the neck, a faker, is Baker, he is aligned with sodomy, a faker, why? 'cause his surname is Baker. punk mo'fo cause he thinks he has freewill, but his will is to be a punk Funk, ya , I know, Baker is a fake, a punk, a Baker, I mean, look at his hair cut, a sure tale sign pf a punk.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I always liked Curmudgeon, and I've known a few old farts whom fit the bill. LOL!

Basically ill-tempered, cranky, and more than a little stubborn.

Around here they usually change this to Crud-mudgeon, and I've heard a few tart old ladies called Crud-muffins. LOL!

apophenia

egregious

its etymology is fascinating - the latin meaning is 'outside the herd', or 'out of the flock'

in the 16th century it meant illustrious.

popular recently in the US. where it is generally taken to mean 'exceptionally bad'.

Not one of US ? o_O

Spiderman

Veteran Member
egregious

its etymology is fascinating - the latin meaning is 'outside the herd', or 'out of the flock'

in the 16th century it meant illustrious.

popular recently in the US. where it is generally taken to mean 'exceptionally bad'.

Not one of US ? o_O
OmG! I love that! OUtside the herd, outside the flock, unconventual!

Those are the people I admire the most. Ya know like a person who chooses to be the only Christian in a communist country where it is illegal to do so, or a person who chooses to be an atheist in a devoutly theist circle, or a person willing to suffer being ostracized because what the popular opinion or behavior is, goes against their conscience!

etymology is a good word for the day.
et·y·mol·o·gy
ˌedəˈmäləjē/
noun
  1. the study of the origin of words
Also, don't be embarrassed to share if you just learned the definition of a word today that you should have known in 8th grade. Im 27 and I just recently learned the definition of bureaucracy.

Up until yesterday id assume it meant any system of Government.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
ex·e·ge·sisˌeksiˈjēsis/nouncritical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture."the task of biblical exegesis"synonyms:interpretation, explanation,exposition

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
My favourite word right now comes from hours wasted on youtube watching silly videos. I was fascinated with the world of single wheel vehicles - and discovered that this field had contributed a word to the English language;

I give you; Gerbiling.
Gerbiling happens when you slam the brakes on, when within a single wheeled vehicle. You spin about the inside of the wheel like a gerbil.
Love it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
the honest truth is when you said gerbiling it sent me the wrong message , because the only way that I have heard that word used is the practice of inserting a live gerbil into one's anus to receive sensual gratification!

it is good to know what the correct or rather the less disturbing definition of the word is. :)

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
the honest truth is when you said gerbiling it sent me the wrong message , because the only way that I have heard that word used is the practice of inserting a live gerbil into one's anus to receive sensual gratification!

it is good to know what the correct or rather the less disturbing definition of the word is. :)
Thankyou for clarifying. :)

apophenia

I have just finished reading the 'Thomas Covenant' trilogy by Stephen Donaldson. It was recommended to me by my doctor and good friend.

As he read it, he kept a list of all the words he had never read before. I think he said he had four pages of words by the end. All checked in the dictionary. I didn't do that myself, but he was right ...

On the subject of language, here is an interesting fact about Shakespeare - he had the largest vocabulary of anyone in his time, according to some linguists. Yet he was a semi-educated merchant. And when he died, his will included no books. His children, and parents, were illiterate according to many sources.

This is the main argument for the assertion that he was not the author of the works attributed to him.

Christopher Marlowe, considered by some as the likely author of many of the works,was murdered in 1593.

From wikipedia -

Marlowe was reputed to be an atheist, which, at that time, held the dangerous implication of being an enemy of God.[55] Some modern historians, however, consider that his professed atheism, as with his supposed Catholicism, may have been no more than an elaborate and sustained pretence adopted to further his work as a government spy.[56] Contemporary evidence comes from Marlowe's accuser inFlushing, an informer called Richard Baines. The governor of Flushing had reported that each of the men had "of malice" accused the other of instigating the counterfeiting, and of intending to go over to the Catholic "enemy"; such an action was considered atheistic by the Protestants, who constituted the dominant religious faction in England at that time. Following Marlowe's arrest in 1593, Baines submitted to the authorities a "note containing the opinion of one Christopher Marly concerning his damnable judgment of religion, and scorn of God's word."[57] Baines attributes to Marlowe a total of eighteen items which "scoff at the pretensions of the Old and New Testament"[14]such as, "Christ was a ******* and his mother dishonest [unchaste]", "the woman of Samaria and her sister were whores and that Christ knew them dishonestly", and, "St John the Evangelist was bedfellow to Christ and leaned always in his bosom" (cf. John 13:23–25), and, "that he used him as the sinners of Sodom". He also implies that Marlowe had Catholic sympathies. Other passages are merely sceptical in tone: "he persuades men to atheism, willing them not to be afraid of bugbears and hobgoblins".

A government spy !

Which is why he was banished for some time ...

Hmmm ....

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Machiavellian, because it's fun to say. It's basically a colloquialism to describe a particularly cruel awful politician, like the one described in The Prince.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Machiavellian, because it's fun to say. It's basically a colloquialism to describe a particularly cruel awful politician, like the one described in The Prince.
No, no, no! It's not about being cruel & awful.....it's about being scheming, plotting, cunning & devious.....in a highly skilled & strategic fashion.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
No, no, no! It's not about being cruel & awful.....it's about being scheming, plotting, cunning & devious.....in a highly skilled & strategic fashion.

My apologies for mixing up the definitions. Must have been thinking of the politicians of today. :p

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Don't apologize to me.....you must speak to Niccolo Machiavelli. (Don't wanna cross him.)

Oh dear you're right. Quick someone get me his number and I shall prepare my excessively long and grovelling sort of apology.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think he has a phone....or even an email address. Better just speak it aloud, & let the ether carry your words to wherever he resides now....RIP, Niccolo.