• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With 4100 Americans dead in one day, why did God think viruses were a good idea?

ecco

Veteran Member
We are all suffering the consequences of the rebellion against the rule of the Father on our world. If the rebellion had not occurred incarnate celestial beings such as Adam and Eve would have weeded out viruses and genetic deformities long ago.

"incarnate celestial beings"? Does your God really need help from incarnate celestial beings to eliminate bad viruses? He is, after omnipotent, is He not?

The fact that we have deadly viruses and little children with cancer is indicative of one of three things:
  • Your God is impotent
  • Your God is callous
  • Your God does not really exist

Reddwarffan

I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...

I am not religious, but... could you not ask the same question about an infinite number of things that causes humans to die? Why single out this virus?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am not religious, but... could you not ask the same question about an infinite number of things that causes humans to die? Why single out this virus?
I don't. This is just one thread -- I've made the same point about a lot of things.

And the point isn't so much about dying, either. It's about dying before one's time, or in great agony or terror, when the last moments of one's life are horrifying.

And I get the fact that this is a part of a natural world. I also get that we humans, as we have grown and learned, are working very hard to reduce such suffering -- often with a lot less success than we'd like.

And my point in all this is very simple: that the natural world, as I observe, is antithetical to the ideas about God held by several of the world's largest religions.

Colt

"incarnate celestial beings"? Does your God really need help from incarnate celestial beings to eliminate bad viruses? He is, after omnipotent, is He not?

The fact that we have deadly viruses and little children with cancer is indicative of one of three things:
  • Your God is impotent
  • Your God is callous
  • Your God does not really exist
No, God wouldn't need help but God delegates powers and authority to his Sons who in turn rule according to their wisdom. Since our world (just one of many inhabited planets) fell into sin then unfortunately we suffer from the failures of leadership.

You must not have children?

Being such a horrible Godless world, would you have preferred that your parents not bring you into it????

ecco

Veteran Member
No, God wouldn't need help but God delegates powers and authority to his Sons who in turn rule according to their wisdom. Since our world (just one of many inhabited planets) fell into sin then unfortunately we suffer from the failures of leadership.

Ah, so there are too many worlds for your omnipotent God to handle himself. Perhaps your omnipotent God isn't even the one who created this world. Perhaps he delegated that task to his spiteful narcissistic pre-adolescent son. That would explain why Adam and Eve were induced to commit sin, and why he subsequently drowned nearly all of his creation. Or, perhaps God the father did the Flood to try to undo the really bad job Jr. did.

You must not have children?
Pointless question.

Being such a horrible Godless world, would you have preferred that your parents not bring you into it????

I don't think this godless world is horrible. Why would you come to that conclusion? I understand that in a natural world, **** happens.

I do think that a god who gives cancer to little children and kills millions with plagues and viruses is worse than worthless.

Vernie

I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
Actually 7200 Americans die every day, so if 4000 die of covid then 11,000 die every day unless someone is lying

Colt

Ah, so there are too many worlds for your omnipotent God to handle himself. Perhaps your omnipotent God isn't even the one who created this world. Perhaps he delegated that task to his spiteful narcissistic pre-adolescent son. That would explain why Adam and Eve were induced to commit sin, and why he subsequently drowned nearly all of his creation. Or, perhaps God the father did the Flood to try to undo the really bad job Jr. did.

Pointless question.

I don't think this godless world is horrible. Why would you come to that conclusion? I understand that in a natural world, **** happens.

I do think that a god who gives cancer to little children and kills millions with plagues and viruses is worse than worthless.

I see, you want a God of an unnatural world where we don't get cancer until we are 21 years old? A God who is constantly intervening in life to prevent anything difficult from occurring? No run-ins with gravity? No sprained ankles? No pain and therefore no pleasure?

ppp

No pain and therefore no pleasure?
That 'therefore' is faulty reasoning on your part. A negative state is not needed to experience a positive state. All that one needs to experience a positive is to have a less positive or neutral state,

ecco

Veteran Member
I see, you want a God of an unnatural world where we don't get cancer until we are 21 years old? A God who is constantly intervening in life to prevent anything difficult from occurring? No run-ins with gravity? No sprained ankles? No pain and therefore no pleasure?

Did you just admit that a world where people get cancer at all ages is a natural world? Did you just imply that in a Godly fairy tale world God might prevent cancers until people are old enough to drink?

Did you say that you are one of those people who needs to feel pain in order to experience pleasure? I believe the word for that is "masochist".

You are not very good at apologetics, but I'll give you an "A" for effort.

Reactions: ppp

Colt

That 'therefore' is faulty reasoning on your part. A negative state is not needed to experience a positive state. All that one needs to experience a positive is to have a less positive or neutral state,
Quibbling.
Did you just admit that a world where people get cancer at all ages is a natural world? Did you just imply that in a Godly fairy tale world God might prevent cancers until people are old enough to drink?

Did you say that you are one of those people who needs to feel pain in order to experience pleasure? I believe the word for that is "masochist".

You are not very good at apologetics, but I'll give you an "A" for effort.

I wasn’t attempting apologetics, God does everything the natural way.

It’s actually you who wants a fairytale world.

Lazy humans want to complain rather than solve the cancer problem.

ppp

Quibbling.
You merely say 'quibbling' because I demonstrated that you are wrong, and you cannot bear to admit your error.

Colt

You didn't demonstrate I was wrong. You argued that there could be a universe with no contrasts. Truth is only truth because it can be contrast with error. Good with evil. Positive numbers with negative numbers. Joy sadness.

Colt

What's ironic with the complaint about why God allows suffering is the enormous amount of deliberate suffering that man inflicts on himself!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Moving further away from god has made things TONS better. Less likely to be violently killed, less likely to legally punished for breaking religious policy, replacing magic amd superstition with science and medicine, and a legion of options amd protections that none of our ancestors knew.
This world today isn't perfect, but I'll take it any time over living in a place or time when god is firmly in control (like Medieval Europe).

Colt

Moving further away from god has made things TONS better. Less likely to be violently killed, less likely to legally punished for breaking religious policy, replacing magic amd superstition with science and medicine, and a legion of options amd protections that none of our ancestors knew.
This world today isn't perfect, but I'll take it any time over living in a place or time when god is firmly in control (like Medieval Europe).
Societies that moved away from God went to pot! Like Pol Pot!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, we don't need congress but they could use some religion.
What? Congress makes the laws. They can't legally, per the Constitution, pass legislation that is based on religious morality.
And they don't need more religion. They need less, and hopefully with less the prejudices and bigotry against non-believers can significantly diminish, hopefully vanishing into the background.

Reactions: ppp

Colt

What? Congress makes the laws. They can't legally, per the Constitution, pass legislation that is based on religious morality.
And they don't need more religion. They need less, and hopefully with less the prejudices and bigotry against non-believers can significantly diminish, hopefully vanishing into the background.
Atheism seems to be more about the attention young people get out of it.

The world is actually quivering on the brink of the greatest spiritual epoch of all time.