• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With 4100 Americans dead in one day, why did God think viruses were a good idea?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I think it would be really good if people would make a list of what is God's doing and what is man's/nature's doing.

For example, when there is a crash and three people die they say it is some person's fault. If one person survives the same crash, that was God looking out for them.

Players scoring a touchdown raise their hands to thank God. When they drop the pass it's, well, bad luck or lack of skill.
The example of wet markets is clearly "man's doing" IMO ... but you are free to attribute it to God, if you wish to do so. I don't blame God.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
While I agree we do a lot of harm to ourselves, this is not a good answer to my question. We don't create viruses, and for those who do believe in creation, I think they need to explain why God thought creating them was a pretty good idea.

I’m not a scientist or biologist so I can’t provide a proper answer.

But scientists say we need certain viruses for many different reasons which support life.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200617-what-if-all-viruses-disappeared

ecco

Veteran Member
The example of wet markets is clearly "man's doing" IMO ... but you are free to attribute it to God, if you wish to do so. I don't blame God.
Yeah, that's the point of my post.

Good things --- God gets credit.
Bad things --- It ain't God's fault.

Kinda silly.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...

How could anyone know from a religious standpoint what the purpose of viruses are?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yeah, that's the point of my post.

Good things --- God gets credit.
Bad things --- It ain't God's fault.

Kinda silly.
Exactly my point ... blaming God for bad stuff AND praising oneself for the good is a silly thing to do

InChrist

Free4ever
I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
Are you sincerely asking? Do you actually want an answer you would honestly consider? I noticed that those who deny God or the Bible often don’t really want answers, other than as material to mock or find fault with.
How about you, what’s your motive?

Last edited:

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
God does not create every species that appears on the planet, evolution does that. Although God monitors the planet and its evolution, he normally will not interfere in it. In any case, the appearance of new diseases/viruses can be caused by bad human karma not by any divine intention.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
God does not create every species that appears on the planet, evolution does that. Although God monitors the planet and its evolution, he normally will not interfere in it. In any case, the appearance of new diseases/viruses can be caused by bad human karma not by any divine intention.
Wow, you know a lot about how God works! Does he send you memos?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I've heard recently.....the bulk of your body
is not you

most of it is water.....and mud

in that puddle you live

BUT the living portions that share your dna........are out numbered
by the living portions that do not

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Who said He put viruses here to hurt humans to begin with? According to the Bible, and I believe it, God put Adam and Eve in a protected environment until they did what He told them not to do under the penalty of death. That He lets people suffer does not mean that He makes them personally suffer. But He allows it. He will not always allow, says the Bible. Revelation 21:1-5 speaks of this:

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. 2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, 4and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”
5And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true."

YoursTrue

And I dont care about the feelings of people actively spreading disease and not giving a damn they do while their choices are having dire consequences for everybody else. Hurt your feelings? Oh well. Not taking this seriously is killing people, and not just those with covid. So, no, I give not one damn if that upset you.
You know what's interesting? As I was doing some reading on deadly diseases, some scientists and others risked themselves by being their own experiment. Jonas Salk, for instance, took the polio vaccine to make sure it worked. Also, there was a village in Britain that isolated itself during the bubonic plague, knowing they would die but they wanted to protect others. Interesting article.
Vaccines for polio, typhus, AIDS that Jonas Salk and other scientists tested on themselves - The Washington Post

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You know what's interesting? As I was doing some reading on deadly diseases, some scientists and others risked themselves by being their own experiment. Jonas Salk, for instance, took the polio vaccine to make sure it worked. Also, there was a village in Britain that isolated itself during the bubonic plague, knowing they would die but they wanted to protect others. Interesting article.
Vaccines for polio, typhus, AIDS that Jonas Salk and other scientists tested on themselves - The Washington Post
Yup. We also learned stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria, and not stress, when a researcher gave himself one by ingesting the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers.

YoursTrue

Yup. We also learned stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria, and not stress, when a researcher gave himself one by ingesting the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers.
ok. And I read that one brave young man, the son of a scientist in the article, died as a result of him testing on himself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
ok. And I read that one brave young man, the son of a scientist in the article, died as a result of him testing on himself.
It happens. Marie Curie died from the radiation she was studying, studies that brought us x-rays.
What does this have to do with the topic?

YoursTrue

It happens. Marie Curie died from the radiation she was studying, studies that brought us x-rays.
What does this have to do with the topic?
It was just a comment about the bravery and concern of some for others. There is no suggestion in my mind that God wants people to get the virus, or any illness. But He allows it because He is no longer letting anyone live forever right now. Adam and Eve rejected God's protection, but yes, I thought it was interesting about the brave people who took the risk of experimenting vaccines on themselves. I don't think Marie Curie knew at the beginning her experimentation would kill her.

YoursTrue

While I agree we do a lot of harm to ourselves, this is not a good answer to my question. We don't create viruses, and for those who do believe in creation, I think they need to explain why God thought creating them was a pretty good idea.
Yes, things can mutate from their original position. I wouldn't call it evolution, but -- just like another variation of the COVID19 is a mutation, so it is that God allows viruses to develop that are not beneficial to others, and in fact, can kill them. He allows it. He doesn't cause it. But He allows it, just like He allows car accidents.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
In several places in the world at any given moment I bet that there are any number of people asking What made God think Americans were a good idea?

74x12

How do you know it's not a human designed virus? Clearly there is bioweapon research lab in wuhan. I say it's man's fault not God.

I think it is possible that viruses are not the invention of God. Similarly, as abortion is not God’s design, yet about 54 million people are murdered by abort in a year. If those aborted lives don’t matter, why Covid deaths matter, when it is not even near as lethal as evil humans?

One could even think that all diseases are designed to get rid of evil people.

I don’t know the reason, why someone dies and why viruses, but I know that body is not meant to last forever. Someday everyone’s body dies or is changed. In Biblical point of view, we should not worry about that, because soul is what matters, this life is only like a temporary lesson.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28

…Therefore I tell you, don't be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing. …
Luke 12:22-31