• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With 4100 Americans dead in one day, why did God think viruses were a good idea?

ecco

Veteran Member
It’s actually you who wants a fairytale world.

That's really funny coming from someone who believes a magic entity will give him eternal life. That's the ultimate fantasyland.

Lazy humans want to complain rather than solve the cancer problem.

If your all-creator God didn't make cancer, no one would have to find a cure for it. That has nothing to do with laziness. That has to do with compassion.

Lazy humans are the ones who have said "GodDidIt" and continue to rely on words written 3000 years ago by relatively ignorant people. Lazy, ignorant humans are the ones who refuse to wear masks because they believe that God will protect them. And if he doesn't, well, there is always the promise of a better, eternal life.

ecco

Veteran Member
What's ironic with the complaint about why God allows suffering is the enormous amount of deliberate suffering that man inflicts on himself!
Yeah. The kind of suffering that man inflicts on himself is the result and is indicative of a natural world that has no compassionate entity in the sky to assist him.

You believe there is a God. Perhaps you could show how this world would be different if, as I believe, there is no God.

ecco

Veteran Member
Atheism seems to be more about the attention young people get out of it.

That sounds like nonsense. Perhaps you could offer some evidence to support your assertion.

The world is actually quivering on the brink of the greatest spiritual epoch of all time.

We quiver every time some group tries to enact new pro-religious laws and edicts like teaching Creationism.

We quiver every time we hear a Senator disparage Global Warming because his religious indoctrination made him averse to science when he was seven.

Colt

Yeah. The kind of suffering that man inflicts on himself is the result and is indicative of a natural world that has no compassionate entity in the sky to assist him.

You believe there is a God. Perhaps you could show how this world would be different if, as I believe, there is no God.
This world wouldn't exist without your heavenly Father.

ecco

Veteran Member
This world wouldn't exist without your heavenly Father.
That is your unsubstantiated opinion.

I guess your intent in posting that comment was to duck and dodge the issues we were discussing. Like, why does your merciful God inflict babies with cancer? Your actions are understandable.

SeekingAllTruth

I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
It's yet another proof, I've ascertained from all I see, that God is a deist God. He has nothing to do with it. He just lets nature take its course, doesn't lift a finger to help and the bodies pile up.

Wandering Monk

The OP reminds me of a tale told by an Auschwitz survivor in The World at War video series from 1974.

A rabbi in one of the death camps looked up into heaven and cried out 'God, look what they are doing to your people. Why won't you stop it.' He paused for a moment then, in a moment of revelation he said, 'There is no God.'

He was later a martyr, burned up in the ovens.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
Death by virus is just one of many, many ways to die.

I think your real question is why does God allow death?

The answer is that by having life continually regenerate through birth and death it is constantly changing and vibrant -- it does not stagnate. Think how the world would be if there was no new life, no babies, no children, no first kisses, no weddings. Even the flowers are only here because they help plants procreate. if there were no death, there would be no flowers.

The second this is that death gives meaning to life. The things we do matter to us only because we have a limited time to do them. We have to make choices-- I can be a doctor or a lawyer, but not both, or whatever. Because one mortal lifetime is too short to be both a doctor and a lawyer. The things we say matter, because the person we say them to won't always be here,and when they are gone, we won't have the opportunity to say we are sorry. I hope this is making sense to you all.

See I think about this stuff. Maybe I'm just a nerd. But this is the sort of stuff that I lay in bed late at night and think about. And I've concluded that I really don't want a world with no death.

SeekingAllTruth

The OP reminds me of a tale told by an Auschwitz survivor in The World at War video series from 1974.

A rabbi in one of the death camps looked up into heaven and cried out 'God, look what they are doing to your people. Why won't you stop it.' He paused for a moment then, in a moment of revelation he said, 'There is no God.'

He was later a martyr, burned up in the ovens.
There likely is a Higher Intelligence (call it God if you must) because that is the only logical way to explain the impossible odds of diversity and complexity we see in this world and the universe. But this intelligence is deist, IMHO. It doesn't interact with us in any way. That's why prayers are never answered and nothing supernatural has ever been observed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There likely is a Higher Intelligence (call it God if you must) because that is the only logical way to explain the impossible odds of diversity and complexity we see in this world and the universe.
We had a thread very recently about this misuse of the world logical. "Makes sense to me" doesn't mean "logical."

SeekingAllTruth

We had a thread very recently about this misuse of the world logical. "Makes sense to me" doesn't mean "logical."
Well, I agree with that. But scientists still have not been able to discover what exactly kick-started life. Even though they keep promising us one day they will.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, I agree with that. But scientists still have not been able to discover what exactly kick-started life. Even though they keep promising us one day they will.
Yes, but that doesn't make it that a creator is the only logical explanation. It actually, basically has all the same issues a materialist approach has, which is where does anything--inuding god--ultimately come from. God explanations cannot answer this question no more completely than those who say it's all natural.

ppp

There likely is a Higher Intelligence (call it God if you must) because that is the only logical way to explain the impossible odds of diversity and complexity we see in this world and the universe. But this intelligence is deist, IMHO. It doesn't interact with us in any way. That's why prayers are never answered and nothing supernatural has ever been observed.
Complexity, huh? Is your version of a god more or less complex than the universe?

Colt

So are these revelations personal to you, or to someone else who communicates them to you or from non-canonical scriptures?
The Urantia Book revelation of 1955 gives us much more information about God, creation and the entire life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. I’ve been a student of the UB for much of my life.

Last edited: