• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Scientists be our future gods?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I have no idea of what you mean by this, frankly. Scientists may perhaps be filling the role of what were once shamans or witch-doctors, but gods?
Similar to calling someone a super hero, even with no real super powers, simply because they have the technology.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
We used to rely on witch doctors by no choice except they had the secret knowledge. As we stand on the shoulders of the greats we become more knowledgeable of existence in itself. We are doing things now that would not have been tolerated 50 years ago. Now Scientists are doing god like things. If we don't kill ourselves first Scientists will end up being gods.

Thoughts, concerns or questions?

Most folks don't have enough respect for scientists to make them gods, and most scientists don't have enough political savvy to be gods. Humans will always make natural born politicians gods, not scientists.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Similar to calling someone a super hero, even with no real super powers, simply because they have the technology.

Is it? Because I fail to follow it.

Scientists resemble gods in no way, shape or form, be it in the present or in the future.

Then again, I AM an atheist... maybe I set too high a bar to acknowledge someone as a deity?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is it? Because I fail to follow it.

Scientists resemble gods in no way, shape or form, be it in the present or in the future.

Then again, I AM an atheist... maybe I set too high a bar to acknowledge someone as a deity?
Who is closer to making humans immortal for example. Sure science is long ways a way but they have done more than any religious devotion to a deity has been. God is supposed to fix all this stuff instead we have humans doing it for us, healing incurable diseases, bringing water to desolate areas. Whatever one wants to wish for I doubt praying will help, we have to ask humans to get the technology for it. If we get to the point of being able to harness the warping of space and time the possibilities are just endless. If we look through the eyes of the past, they could just be worshipping the future.

dust1n

Zindīq
We used to rely on witch doctors by no choice except they had the secret knowledge. As we stand on the shoulders of the greats we become more knowledgeable of existence in itself. We are doing things now that would not have been tolerated 50 years ago. Now Scientists are doing god like things. If we don't kill ourselves first Scientists will end up being gods.

Thoughts, concerns or questions?

Eh, more likely the supercomputer with the power to alter its own source code that scientists will eventually create will be God. The human brain is just too tiny for God-like capacities.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Do you truly believe there is anything comparable to that satire happening in real life? I will bet you would be surprised if you had the means to gauge.

Considering that Elvis is practically deified it would never surprise me if anyone made Sagan such a legend. I may have been joking but many people find anything coming from the lips of Neil Tyson to be gold.

outhouse

Atheistically
I Think

One day it will be common knowledge that all gods were just good and positive conscious thought using ones imagination, nothing more.

That is something a scientist is not needed for.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Considering that Elvis is practically deified it would never surprise me if anyone made Sagan such a legend. I may have been joking but many people find anything coming from the lips of Neil Tyson to be gold.

It seems to me that you are taking a fringe, particularly weird behavior and extrapolating from it just because.

That seems to serve better as criticism of the nature of worship than for any other purpose.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Will Scientists be our future gods?

No. I believe God is our core and we have to look inside and see past our ego nature. The more we drop greed, anger, possessiveness, etc., the more of God we will feel and see.

Scientists can just manipulate our outer shell to make it healthier. A good thing but it has nothing to do with them becoming our God.

CynthiaCypher

You know who are going to be our new gods...the people who pay the researchers salaries , not the scientist themselves but their bosses. Lawyers, Wall St. Brokers and Corporate CEO's will be our gods. So it will be the same old **** as usual.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Will scientists be our future gods?

The scientists were never in the past; they are not now and never in future will be our God.

The scientists neither could be born at their will nor they can live forever; they will die as humble humans at the will of the One-True-God.

Regards