• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Scientists be our future gods?

CynthiaCypher

Thats assuming that consciousness is akin to a program or software application. There comes a point where science will make humans so powerful that we may be thought of as gods. I mean, even someone from a few hundred years ago would be overwhelmed by our modern technological marvels.

According to the digital universe theory, everything is a program.

I don't think science will make the whole human race godlike but only some humans, those who have the information will become godlike. And it is those who are skilled in controlling and manipulating information who will be perceived as gods.

CynthiaCypher

Perhaps if technology manages to survive. Information is definitely of value as we see with google and facebook.

If technology goes down then our science will end up in the mythology section.

Our tech will survive and information is already being used as currency.

idav

Being
Premium Member
define God​
God would be what makes us how we are, how we were born. A god would be able to intervene with Gods plan and give us physical attribute picked from a menu while keeping us healthy as possible, fighting nature wherever it needs to be.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Not scientist...hackers.

I have a vision of the future where computer hackers will fight wars over vast neural networks in order to control all the information. And once they gain control they will set themselves up as virtual gods.

In the future you will be able to download your consciousness into a virtual body giving you virtual immortality and these "gods" will control who gets to be immortal
vlcsnap2010052514h32m12_wut.png

The singularity won't be that organized, that's almost guaranteed. Once true artificial intelligence happens, humans are basically out of the picture. They get out-competed by generalized intelligence far, far too easily.

The advantage is that if we play our cards right, then we might get benevolent godlike AI, and they will be better and more influential leaders than all human ones put together. ...Much like an actual deity, in fact. ;)

cablescavenger

We used to rely on witch doctors by no choice except they had the secret knowledge. As we stand on the shoulders of the greats we become more knowledgeable of existence in itself. We are doing things now that would not have been tolerated 50 years ago. Now Scientists are doing god like things. If we don't kill ourselves first Scientists will end up being gods.

Thoughts, concerns or questions?

I think the prime difference between a God and a scientist is that a God is unonditionally attributed with everything we don't understand while a scientist earns his notoriety by helping us to understand.

Though we might thank scientists and admire what they have done we won't credit them with things they didn't do, or feel the need to pray to them when we go through a difficult time, or live our lives in a way we hope will impress them.

In short, scientists will only ever be scientists.

Erebus

Scientists will never be Gods. They would never stoop to that level.

Perhaps not, but apotheosis doesn't necessarily have to be voluntary. Think about the "I'm not the messiah!" skit by Monty Python, if people want something to worship they'll find it whether it's deities, celebrities or scientists.

However I do doubt scientists will come to be considered gods per se, simply because it just seems somewhat far-fetched. Having said that though, there is an interesting poem from the enlightenment era by James Thomson effectively placing Isaac Newton among the gods (depending on your interpretation of course, poetry can lead to awfully diverse reactions).

shawn001

why would scientists and knowledge in the future make scientists gods anymore then today going from the wright brothers first airplane to the space shuttle say, even if they figured out a grand unified theory to help explain even more of nature and the universe?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Though we might thank scientists and admire what they have done we won't credit them with things they didn't do, or feel the need to pray to them when we go through a difficult time, or live our lives in a way we hope will impress them.
Pray to? I thought God just wanted money and I get my miracle. :)

idav

Being
Premium Member
The singularity won't be that organized, that's almost guaranteed. Once true artificial intelligence happens, humans are basically out of the picture. They get out-competed by generalized intelligence far, far too easily.

The advantage is that if we play our cards right, then we might get benevolent godlike AI, and they will be better and more influential leaders than all human ones put together. ...Much like an actual deity, in fact. ;)
Humans will be integrated into the technology by that point. People with the means and opportunity will be getting brain expansions.

CynthiaCypher

Humans will be integrated into the technology by that point. People with the means and opportunity will be getting brain expansions.

Precisely. Our technology doesn't benefit everyone now, so why should it do so in the future. Only people with the means will be able to get augmented and with the advent of advance robotics those augmented people won't have any need for those who don't have the means, non-augmented people will be considered a nuisance and probably used for sport if anything.

I have a very dark vision of the future.

CynthiaCypher

O_e62d02_123524.jpg

Sorry but some of us don't want to live in The Brave New World.