• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wife beating in quran

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not only Shahih international but nearly all translations of Quran mention mention beating Wife , how can muslims deny that

Who denied that "nearly all translations mention wife beating"?

No one did. What is being said, however, is that it can and is both translated and interpreted differently by other scholars.

What is also being said is that the word in question here has many meanings, and usages, and so there are multiple possiblitites as to what this verse means, and in more than one part, not just the supposed wife beating part.

The word which is translated to beat is used in the Quran as i recall, according to the scholars who hold the view that this verse doesn't mean beat, 17 times, most of which didn't actually mean beat. But was used in a different context.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course it is. I'm not actually aware of any religion that has one united interpretation, or a religion where all followers agree on everything.

Exactly.

Who denied that "nearly all translations mention wife beating"?

No one did. What is being said, however, is that it can and is both translated and interpreted differently by other scholars.

What is also being said is that the word in question here has many meanings, and usages, and so there are multiple possiblitites as to what this verse means, and in more than one part, not just the supposed wife beating part.

The word which is translated to beat is used in the Quran as i recall, according to the scholars who hold the view that this verse doesn't mean beat, 17 times, most of which didn't actually mean beat. But was used in a different context.

Agreed.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Can our Arabic speakers bring the word, and its root, and point out alternate words for it, if possible, please? :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
daraba

Is the root word I came across as being misunderstood/having a vast, complete usage.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can our Arabic speakers bring the word, and its root, and point out alternate words for it, if possible, please? :)

Word: واضربوهن

Root: ضرب

Not sure what you mean by alternate words.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Not sure what you mean by alternate words.

Things like, for example, "scourge, hit, beat, mash, to make a soup, ignore, lick", and stuff like that. What words can be made from the root which could be lost in translation?

atanu

Premium Member
Things like, for example, "scourge, hit, beat, mash, to make a soup, ignore, lick", and stuff like that. What words can be made from the root which could be lost in translation?

I think the beat or scrouge is seconadary. Why do we jump to that. Before that is the primary intent, which we seem to pass over.

Pickthal 34: Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great.

Of course this is my way of seeing.

asa120

So Islam isnt the religion meant for everyone then. Not the religion where all men are able to capture its glorious wisdom as advertised? Its not something even the layman can understand on his own? If Muslims swallow lock, stock and barrel what their scholars tell them. What position are Muslims in to criticize clergy of other religions?
the interprataion is not even up to us muslims or it s not even not to the arabick muslims but it s up to islamique scolars
because the holy quran didnt came in one time but it came as in 23 years of mohamed laste years
soo every chapter and every verses have there place and e reason to clarifie e probleme that the muslims have at that time
and only scolars know the place of evry verses and the reason that came down wish is greate and extremly helpful in the application of the sharia
it s e huuuge science the interpretation of the holy quran it still developing and it arcticulate to to the knowlage of
-islamique history
-the life of mohamed
-the history of other nations like judea thy are called ,,,the issrailiatte,,,
-the interpretation of the first books the taura and the gospel the zabor
-the scientifique level of knowlege
-and the list is alot longer but thise is what i know
-
-

we have now a lot of coranique verses didnt make sence at the time of mohamed but thy have scientique knowlege that thy didnt have at that time like the earth is rounded , the creation of human bienf from just e ciemen,,,,,,, and e lot ,we call them now coranique scientifique miricals researsh aboute it if you wont

Last edited:

asa120

My understanding is that the intent of the verse is to radically mitigate spousal abuse rather than encourage it.
i saw youre perviouse postes i thinking that you are jewish
soo at least you know that we can not debate and disoby the quran espacially when we are sure of the presevation of the holy quran in it s original word thise is what god rulle and we accpet it thise is why we are called belivers

asa120

Why must women obey men ?
seems barbaric.

well thise is what we belive is god rulle and we belive that in the laste day all wemen of all man-kind will be asked aboute obying there hasbend like hujab and like decency all wemen will be asked aboute it
mohamed make obeying the haspends the higest place the e woman can arrive to
thise mean in the laste day when e muslim man say that we was happy with his wife and she was e muslima
she will not be asked aboute anny think that she did or say ,absulotly nothink
she will go directly in the eternal paradise
whish is the higthest place that e muslim will ever arrive ,,

Last edited:

ohhcuppycakee

well thise is what we belive is god rulle and we belive that in the laste day all wemen of all man-kind will be asked aboute obying there hasbend like hujab and like decency all wemen will be asked aboute it
mohamed make obeying the haspends the higest place the e woman can arrive to
thise mean in the laste day when e muslim man say that we was happy with his wife and she was e muslima
she will not be asked aboute anny think that she did or say ,absulotly nothink
she will go directly in the eternal paradise
whish is the higthest place that e muslim will ever arrive ,,

Please. Can you start using spell check? I can barely read your posts.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
i saw youre perviouse postes i thinking that you are jewish
soo at least you know that we can not debate and disoby the quran espacially when we are sure of the presevation of the holy quran in it s original word thise is what god rulle and we accpet it thise is why we are called belivers

What does that have to do with anything? His answer was respectful and quite true, actually...ya know, for being Jewish and all. :rolleyes:

asa120

Please. Can you start using spell check? I can barely read your posts.

that s hurt :no:

but the poste is very claire if you didnt like the answer that s another probleme
it s what the almighty god rule for wemen and as beliver you should accept the rulling of god

Last edited:

asa120

well
1 first i was choked in the first posts where thy have e Claire misunderstanding of th holy quran
this part means simply beat ,physical beat ,it s as simple as that

2 the interpretation of the holy quran ,,,i m repeating it for 4 time it s not up to us it s up to Islamic scolars ,,,and Islamic scholars interpret it as as simple beating not in the face and not the beating that leave e mark
as belivers we accept the rulling of god no matter what is it and we thank god that he bestow on us the light of Islam and he make us Muslims all the thanks to god

pls the next time researsh the interpretation of the holy quran before you poste your replies because e lot of non muslims reading your replies and thinking that is from islam

i know that the interpretaion that i poste appaire more worst but it s the rulle of god

as for Jayhawker Soule i mention that you are Jewish because at least you should understand the importance of the scripture and you Jews and Cristian should be the most understanding of Muslims position aboute thise parts of the holy quran especially we re certain of the authenticity of it

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What i remember is "separate them", or "cut them off" and things alone those lines. And what SageTree said, to have intercourse. In which case what would be meant by it is that since in the second step, you don't sleep in the same bed with your wife, you should try to 'make up', and have sex again, in case that helps.

Since usually after making up both are more open, or nicer to each other than both right before they stopped sleeping together when the problem occurred (and not sleeping together can also include further things than just not sleeping in the same bed, it could be leaving the house altogether for example) and during that period.