• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would the NY Times editors publish an editorial blaming evangelicals for corona?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Does anybody actually take Breitbart seriously?
The radical right does. It's cult-approved facts & journalism.
The problem America has is there are more dumb people than intelligent. It's a genes thing, happens at birth.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why do you believe everything you read on the internet? Stop relying on far-right radical gossip for information.
The article in question is from the NYT,
which is hardly "far-right".
I quoted the text from it for all to read.
You don't dispute its existence, do you?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
"When the so-called private sector is supposed to have the answer to nearly every problem, it’s hard to deal effectively with the very public problem of a pandemic and its economic consequences. But if you examine the political roots of the life-threatening belief in the privatization of nearly everything, you’ll see that When the so-called private sector is supposed to have the answer to every problem, it’s hard to deal effectively with the very public problem of a pandemic and its economic consequences. Christian nationalism played a major role in creating and promoting the economic foundations of America’s incompetent response to the pandemic.. nationalism played a major role in creating and promoting the economic foundations of America’s incompetent response to the pandemic.

I added a couple of qualifiers in red. Now the sentences are factually accurate.

Now, does that mean you can accept to truth of the last sentence, in blue?
Tom

PS The c/p function was making me crazy. I think I fixed it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The article in question is from the NYT,
which is hardly "far-right".
I quoted the text from it for all to read.
You don't dispute its existence, do you?
What I'm disputing is the truth of the OP.

The article didn't blame evangelicals for the virus.
Until we get past that lie, there's not much point in conversation about the rest of it.
Tom

InChrist

Free4ever
Oh, no! Not the "They aren't real Christians" copout. Seriously?
I assume you don’t read the Bible, so you don’t know how many passages are devoted to warnings about false teachers and wolves in sheep’s clothing. If you are aware of these passages, why do you think they are there?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I assume you don’t read the Bible, so you don’t know how many passages are devoted to warnings about false teachers and wolves in sheep’s clothing. If you are aware of these passages, why do you think they are there?
I have read the Bible.
I know about those passages.

Like other RF members, I consider you one of the false teachers.
Oh well.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What I'm disputing is the truth of the OP.

The article didn't blame evangelicals for the virus.
Until we get past that lie, there's not much point in conversation about the rest of it.
Tom
The OP was reasonable.
But you're not when calling it a "lie".
There's room for interpretation.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The OP was reasonable.
But you're not when calling it a "lie".
There's room for interpretation.
Sorry, I forgot to tag you in post #45.
My response to your post about the non-factual.

The opinion piece did not blame evangelicals for the virus. Anybody who read it could see that. I do not think the OP made a small error. It was a calculated and false assertion, as far as I can tell. Totally partisan.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry, I forgot to tag you in post #45.
My response to your post about the non-factual.

The opinion piece did not blame evangelicals for the virus. Anybody who read it could see that. I do not think the OP made a small error. It was a calculated and false assertion, as far as I can tell. Totally partisan.
Tom
Goodness, you've little charity for those you disagree with.

whirlingmerc

The radical right does. It's cult-approved facts & journalism.
The problem America has is there are more dumb people than intelligent. It's a genes thing, happens at birth.

Is NY Times right? Are (white) evangelicals responsible for spread of COVID-19?
The Times headline is bold and provocative: “The Road to Coronavirus Hell Was Paved by Evangelicals.” Yes,

and....

Stewart also fails to mention, by name, leading evangelical pastors who are close to Trump and who have fully complied with his guidelines. Is that because this doesn’t fit her narrative?
Unquote

Milton Platt

And where oh where is the outcry from supposed advocates of rights like Bernie Sanders? hmmm?

New York Times Blames Evangelical Christians for Coronavirus

You have linked to one of the least factual rags on the planet. The opinion piece (OPINION...not news) did not blame the virus on anyone....go read the actual article.

The piece opined that the fact that Trump's base is solidly evangelical skewed his response to the pandemic away from science-based responses. The Evangelical right is notably anti-science.

Milton Platt

His link had one to the NYT.
I posted another link, & the full text on the 1st page.

I don't think he read the NYT article to fact check the Brietbart rag.
The article did not blame Evangelicals of the virus. It pointed out that in catering to his evangelical base, Trump had skewed his response away from what the science was telling us.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You have linked to one of the least factual rags on the planet. The opinion piece (OPINION...not news) did not blame the virus on anyone....go read the actual article.

The piece opined that the fact that Trump's base is solidly evangelical skewed his response to the pandemic away from science-based responses. The Evangelical right is notably anti-science.
Another explanation is that Trump is science illiterate.