• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God send good people to Hell just because they dont believe he exists?

Corkscrew

I'm ready to believe
Im going to get straight to the point.

I am no Athiest. I believe there IS a higher power but I do not believe he is as wrathful as most Church's make him/her out to be.

What gets me angry about alot of Church's is that unless you follow their particular way of worship you will go to hell. What kind of rubbish is this? I thought Jesus taught people to love thy neighbor not judgeing them on Race or Religion? Or am I wrong here?

Nearly all people who participate in Church are very Judgemental, I have been told numerous times by Christians I will go to Hell if I dont change my ways..

I Don't Smoke
I Don't Gamble
I Do Partake in Alcohol but I Don't get drunk or drink to get drunk
I am a Virgin so no Sex either
I do not commit crimes

I guess they judge me wicked because I don't go to Church?
But why should I go to Church? How does going to Church make me more good?

I think God doe's Exist but I dont believe he will send people to Hell (If that place even exists) simply for " not believing in him " or not following a specific Church's practice.

Heres a Scenario.
(None of this is real it is made up as an example)

Jeff is a 43 year old man with 3 Kids aged 3,9 and 16 and a 39 year old Wife named Brenda.

Jeff is driveing home from work on a rainy night and a Truck who is driveing too fast lose's control and Smashes into Jeff's car. Killing him Instantly.

The Driver of the Truck is Arrested, Trialed and Sent to Prison for Manslaughter.

Jeff was a loveing Husband and Father and a great Friend to many.

Jeff was involved in many Charitys and raised lots of money to help Kids with disabilitys.

Jeff was an Athiest and did not believe in any god.

Uh Oh! Jeff did not believe God existed! Any Church Zealot would condemn him to Hell for this ungodly Sin...

My point is I cannot imagine God saying this.

Jeff. " But im not a Bad Person! ive made mistakes in life like a normal Human being but ive given most of my life to help people! "

God. " To bad you didn't believe in me so now you will burn in Hell for all Eternity "
---
God would not Punish anyone for being a Good Person. Never.
Shame on you for believing he would.
---
And for anyone who is too lazy to read this the Question is pretty much.

Why would God send people to Hell for being Good Careing Decent people?

This is the way man wrote the fairy tale.

Flat Earth Kyle

Birddog, I have had a question within me for awhile now about Jehovah's Wittnesses.
For you, what is the point of even going to church if you are not one of the 144,000?
If you are evil, you guys believe you cease to exist, and if you are good you go to paradise. You can be a good person and not go to church, so what is the point?

I have my own beliefs on the subject and was wondering about yours.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Different people having different beliefs. Just continue what you feel you are doing good and don't believe people saying negative things bout you. God knows your heart.

are you going to say the same thing to those who would think that flying into office buildings is a good thing?

waitasec

Veteran Member
stealing is wrong, and killing is wrong. It sounds pretty bad to me. There is always a choice. I'm sure he could of asked the man to share his food. If the other man didn't share his food, he may be held accountable for that. I'm not certain though, God is the judge here not me.
well lets just take this to the worst possible scenario...the one who had the food would do anything to fend off offenders. it's kill or be killed. and you know that was a reality at one point or another. it's about survival. an instinct we all have.
so given this dire situation, in the eyes of god, would the starving one, trying to do anything he can to survive, doing something wrong/evil?
There is always prayer. God did provide the Israelites with manna from Heaven.If God wants them to live, they will live.

lets look at the children in somalia...does god want them to live? i'm sure their praying for food and water...

you see, your response of "there is always prayer" really doesn't do it for me. it's a non answer and the reason it's a non answer is because i believe this presents a quandary for you. and why is it a quandary? because i believe it isn't what you want it to be, easy. see i have no problem saying the starving person is justified as the one who has the food is justified in defending himself. because i have empathy for both of them. i do not live under an illusion of this idea that right and wrong are black and white issues...it's all relative. even in todays world finding a job is almost the same thing. 2 ppl looking for the same position in order to make a living...one lives with his parents and is in a secure situation the other has a family to feed. now just because the one who has a family to feed isn't as qualified as the one who lives with his parents, should he still get the job because of his predicament? no, the world doesn't work like that.
it's survival of the fittest, natural selection as it were... indifference.

Last edited:

Flat Earth Kyle

well lets just take this to the worst possible scenario...the one who had the food would do anything to fend off offenders. it's kill or be killed. and you know that was a reality at one point or another. it's about survival. an instinct we all have.
so given this dire situation, in the eyes of god, would the starving one, trying to do anything he can to survive, doing something wrong/evil?

lets look at the children in somalia...does god want them to live? i'm sure their praying for food and water...

you see, your response of "there is always prayer" really doesn't do it for me. it's a non answer and the reason it's a non answer is because i believe this presents a quandary for you. and why is it a quandary? because i believe it isn't what you want it to be, easy. see i have no problem saying the starving person is justified as the one who has the food is justified in defending himself. because i have empathy for both of them. i do not live under an illusion of this idea that right and wrong are black and white issues...it's all relative. even in todays world finding a job is almost the same thing. 2 ppl looking for the same position in order to make a living...one lives with his parents and is in a secure situation the other has a family to feed. now just because the one who has a family to feed isn't as qualified as the one who lives with his parents, should he still get the job because of his predicament? no, the world doesn't work like that.
it's survival of the fittest, natural selection as it were... indifference.

This conversation reminds me of the movie 17 miracles about the Mormon Handcart Pioneers and the experiences that they had faced, crossing the plains. During the times of starvation, when they were reduced to peeling raw hide off the carts and chewing on that because there was nothing else to eat. The Lord provided for them. Miracles happened that kept a great many of them alive.

My honest opinion on the matter of Somolia is I'm quite sure that many of the starving children in Somalia are praying for food. I believe that God holds those who have the ability to help, who don't help, accountable for their actions. Sometimes the Lord calls men to do his bidding. The United States has the land, it has been called the breadbasket of the world. If the United States wanted to end world hunger, it could, but where would there be any money in that? They actually have the nerve to pay people not to grow certain crops. How ridiculous can it get when there are starving people in Somalia. *roll my eyes* People can be so selfish. I am thankful that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a number of church farms that they use to help feed the poor throughout the world. (not saying we are the only church that does that.)
In the fact that God calls some men to do his bidding, that is the very reason I am in the Army National Guard. The Lord called me to serve, so I'm here to serve. As I have thought about my calling since then, I have thought about the horrible things that took place in the Holocaust, when bad men were in power. Part of the reason I am in the military is to help out in situations like the Holocaust. Saddam Hussein was committing acts of genocide, and the Lord called those who were able to go and put an end to it.

waitasec

Veteran Member
This conversation reminds me of the movie 17 miracles about the Mormon Handcart Pioneers and the experiences that they had faced, crossing the plains. During the times of starvation, when they were reduced to peeling raw hide off the carts and chewing on that because there was nothing else to eat. The Lord provided for them. Miracles happened that kept a great many of them alive.

My honest opinion on the matter of Somolia is I'm quite sure that many of the starving children in Somalia are praying for food. I believe that God holds those who have the ability to help, who don't help, accountable for their actions.
but that doesn't do anything... those children are still suffering...needlessly...
where are the miracles? why have they ceased when it matters most?

In the fact that God calls some men to do his bidding, that is the very reason I am in the Army National Guard. The Lord called me to serve, so I'm here to serve.
imo, your own personal moral sense told you to do that
there is no fact of god calling people to do his bidding. if that is the case, then what is the difference between you joining the army national guard or people flying into buildings...? none. because these convictions are seen as god calling someone to do something. those guys that did that where under the impression they would go to paradise. what makes you think they were wrong...god or your own moral sense?

Last edited:

Birddog

Birddog, I have had a question within me for awhile now about Jehovah's Wittnesses.
For you, what is the point of even going to church if you are not one of the 144,000?
If you are evil, you guys believe you cease to exist, and if you are good you go to paradise. You can be a good person and not go to church, so what is the point?

Excellent questions. Rather than hijack this thread, why not start a new thread on the subject? My work schedule is sporadic so my appearances here will be also.
I know of some other Witnesses that post here also, I'm sure they would like to contribute also.

But to answer the immediate question;
It's true, I am not of the 144,000 but the meetings are where we get a continuous spiritual feeding and encouragement from others. Ours is a congregation of Bible education, not of emotionalisic outbursts and other shallow pursuits.

Flat Earth Kyle

Excellent questions. Rather than hijack this thread, why not start a new thread on the subject? My work schedule is sporadic so my appearances here will be also.
I know of some other Witnesses that post here also, I'm sure they would like to contribute also.

But to answer the immediate question;
It's true, I am not of the 144,000 but the meetings are where we get a continuous spiritual feeding and encouragement from others. Ours is a congregation of Bible education, not of emotionalisic outbursts and other shallow pursuits.

Here is the new thread
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/comparative-religion/118450-belief-jehovahs-witnesses.html

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Although not Birddog, if I may take the liberty to comment.

Do you believe Romans [3v23,9] that: all have sinned?

True a person can be relatively good such as the neighborly good Samaritan.
But does that make that good Samaritan not a sinner?

Some people only think of being good or bad/evil instead of being a sinner.

All should recognize that we all make mistakes even when we don't want to.
We all have undesirable traits or do some bad or wrong things.
Yet, sometimes people wonder why they and others are like that.
Attending Kingdom Hall meetings [Bible education] answers such thoughts.

Doesn't sin lead to death according to Romans 6vs23,7 ?
That would mean we are all born with a fatal flaw [sin] which we can not cure so our sin [wrongdoing] leads to 'inherited death'
'Inherited death' meaning death passed down to us from father Adam.

The cure for sin and death lies with Jesus ransom sacrifice for us. Mt 20v28.
We can not resurrect oneself or another so we someone that can do that for us. Jesus can and he will. Resurrect some to reign with him and serve as kings and priests during his 1000-year reign over earth. Rev 20v6; 5vs9,10

'Kings' to take care of governmental needs of subjects, and 'priests' to take care of their spiritual needs. 'Needs' of earthly subjects that Jesus,
as crowned king of God's kingdom, will have subjects from one end of earth to the other end of earth according to Psalm 72v8.

Like any other seat of government, God's kingdom, also has subjects.
The subjects or citizens are not the governing body but rather the majority that are under the care and concern of those governing.

So, whether being part of those of Rev. [5 vs9,10;14 vs1,3,4],
or earthly subjects of God's kingdom, we 'all' need as Hebrew 10v25 says:
Not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together.
Meetings are survival classes- Rev 7v14.

Survival too for those living sheep-like ones of Matthew [25 vs31,32]
who are alive on earth at the time of Jesus separating peoples one from another. The humble 'sheep' can remain alive and keep on living right into the start of Jesus millennial reign over earth when Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth.
While Jesus 'brothers' [of Matthew 25v40 1st Cor 15v50] are heaven bound.

Hope the ^above^ is of some help.

Flat Earth Kyle

So no religious requirement to attend church, it is more so just a place to learn more about the scriptures?
I read through one of your watchtower panflets and my other question is where in the Bible does it say God is like a Heavenly Father? I have never read the like in there anywhere.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So no religious requirement to attend church, it is more so just a place to learn more about the scriptures?
I read through one of your watchtower panflets and my other question is where in the Bible does it say God is like a Heavenly Father? I have never read the like in there anywhere.

Are we talking about the model prayer? Our Father which art in heaven......
Matt 6v9; Luke 11v2

Jesus mentions his Father as being in heaven [Heavenly Father] at Mt 5v48
Please notice in the Bible 'heavenly Father' at:
Matthew 6v14; 6v26; 6v32; 15v13; 18v35;23v9

Would you call Hebrews [10v25] a religious requirement ?
There it mentions: Not to forsake assembling together.......
Jesus required no one to follow him.
'Required' in the sense of being made or forced to do something.
However, yes Christians are to assemble [attend religious meetings]
of their own free will.

Doesn't John [17v3] stress how important it is to know God and Jesus?
Know in the sense of having accurate knowledge or education about them.
Jesus assures us at Matthew [18v20] that when 2 or more are gathered together in his name that he is there with them.
At meetings there are more than one so Jesus is there with them.

Hope the above is of some help.
Do you think Jesus is crowned king of God's kingdom ?
-Daniel 7vs13,14; 2v44

Blackdog22

I would say that God never sends anyone to Hell, because anyone that goes to Hell has sinned (we all have) AND has rejected Christ.

And why is sin considered a rejection of God? Was that not Gods rule? Does God not make up the rules? Is sin not just an imaginary state of what is considered wrong by God? God makes everything and could of made this anyway he wants. If he makes the rules that we are seperated from him because we do something that he calls sin from the moment we are born, because he deems it so, then that is still God sending us to hell. His rules, he is accountable for those rules.

Just as Hitler is accountable for the rule that all Jews must die. It isn't the Jews fault for being Jews and thus their fault for not bowing down to Hitler or changing who they are, it is Hitlers fault.

Lets say I make up a rule tomorrow that my 3 year old son can't eat candy. If he eats candy I decide to call this sin. Why? Just because, I am in charge and can hurt my son, thus he has to obey me. If my son eats Candy then I decide that that he has "rejected" me and I throw him in a garbage can. You actually and honestly would consider this to be perfect love? Sounds pretty sick and twisted to me. Funny how people are so irrational when it comes to God. Why?

Last edited:

Blackdog22

Born into sin is another way of saying we inherited the original sin AND the high likelihood of sinning.
I'm not sure how they don't contradict, but I imagine it happens like this:
A child is born. This child knows nothing about sin or the world it is in.
If it dies right then, how could God punish a child that probably isn't aware it is about to be punished, let alone why.
Thus God does not punish those who are incapable of understanding right and wrong at the time of their death.

When it comes to sin, i think God overlooks the it in those who are too young to understand it.

I don't see why not. He punished Adam and Eve when they had no knowledge of right and wrong. This God has no morals. We are all screwed if he exists.

As a matter of fact he punished all of mankind for this. I don't see how anyone can see any good coming from this being. Especially since he is 2/2 on failed creations.

Flat Earth Kyle

Without Jesus Christ, all would have been lost, and it would of been better if we had never been born. Jesus Christ played an essential part in God's plan, making it so we can recover from our mistakes and making it so we can return to live with our Heavenly Father. None of God's plan makes any sense without the role of Jesus Christ our savior. Through Him, all our sufferings will be made worth it in the end.

Blackdog22

Without Jesus Christ, all would have been lost, and it would of been better if we had never been born.

Only if God deemed it so. Just because God deems us lost if we don't accept that he sent his son to be murdered for us eating an apple, doesn't make God any more worthy of worship, it also doesn't make his plan any more admirable.

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Only if God deemed it so. Just because God deems us lost if we don't accept that he sent his son to be murdered for us eating an apple, doesn't make God any more worthy of worship, it also doesn't make his plan any more admirable.

I agree. Mormons insist that in a previous life I *chose* to be part of their God's plan. I think it's a really stupid plan and I won't take any BS concerning what I "already chose".

I would only want to worship a God who allowed for religious differences in the first place. It shouldn't matter what you believe in, but rather what you choose to do about it.