• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would an All-Loving God create a world that has so much suffering in it?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

We cannot blame God for all the suffering in the world, because humans have free will so they are responsible for some of their own suffering, but clearly God set it up so we would suffer, and some people suffer so much more than others, often through no fault of their own. This happens because that was their fate, a fate determined by God. Some of that fate is impending and can be avoided but some of it is irrevocable so we are stuck with it no matter what we try to do to avoid it. I believe this because it is based upon my religious beliefs:

“Know thou, O fruit of My Tree, that the decrees of the Sovereign Ordainer, as related to fate and predestination, are of two kinds. Both are to be obeyed and accepted. The one is irrevocable, the other is, as termed by men, impending. To the former all must unreservedly submit, inasmuch as it is fixed and settled. God, however, is able to alter or repeal it. As the harm that must result from such a change will be greater than if the decree had remained unaltered, all, therefore, should willingly acquiesce in what God hath willed and confidently abide by the same.

The decree that is impending, however, is such that prayer and entreaty can succeed in averting it.

God grant that thou who art the fruit of My Tree, and they that are associated with thee, may be shielded from its evil consequences.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 133

Note that it says it “can succeed” not that it “will succeed.”

What that amounts to is that we are completely at the mercy of God.

Evil consequences do not sound like they are coming from an All-Loving God… What’s up with that?

I am sorry, but I cannot believe that God is All-Loving because of what I see in the world. Why would an All-Loving God create a world like this where some people suffer a lot and some people suffer hardly at all? How just is that?

The usual religious apologetic is that “we will know more in the afterlife” and that “all our suffering will be over in the afterlife,” but even if that is true, what good does that do us now? Not only has very little been revealed by God about that afterlife, but it has to be believed solely on faith.

Another religious apologetic is that “suffering makes us grow stronger,” and that might be true for some people, but not for all people. Aside from that, an omnipotent/omniscient God could have come up with a better way for us to grow stronger, Imo. Putting us through this torture chamber is not what I consider Loving. Of course, I do not expect people who have not suffered much and have been happy most of their lives to understand what I am saying. It is probably very easy for them to see God as All-Loving.

I am sure there will be the people who say they have suffered a lot but they still believe God is All-Loving. I am waiting to hear from them. Please bear in mind that what they call suffering might not have been so bad, and they have no way of knowing the suffering that other people have endured. As far as I am concerned the worst suffering anyone can endure is loss of a loved one, human or animal, another great part of God’s design. This might be a test, as in the Story of Job, but I cannot consider a God who does this to people en masse “Loving.”

Some people might say that death of a loved one is no big deal but nobody can understand the suffering of anyone else unless they have walked a mile in their moccasins.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As I see it, it's people that create suffering by way of worldly attachments.

But for whatever reason, people find it easier to blame some higher power.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As I see it, it's people that create suffering by way of worldly attachments.

But for whatever reason, people find it easier to blame some higher power.
I understand what you mean and I agree, because that is a Baha'i belief that attachment to this material world is the source of suffering, but is someone we love a worldly attachment?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand what you mean and I agree, because that is a Baha'i belief that attachment to this material world is the source of suffering, but is someone we love a worldly attachment?

In my view, no, because I see my Self in others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see suffering as part of the dance. In order to merge with Brahman, the soul needs to learn stuff, and 'suffering' is Siva's dance (method) to provide such lessons for us to get out of anava enough to see that it is attachment.

leov

We cannot blame God for all the suffering in the world, because humans have free will so they are responsible for some of their own suffering, but clearly God set it up so we would suffer, and some people suffer so much more than others, often through no fault of their own. This happens because that was their fate, a fate determined by God. Some of that fate is impending and can be avoided but some of it is irrevocable so we are stuck with it no matter what we try to do to avoid it. I believe this because it is based upon my religious beliefs:

“Know thou, O fruit of My Tree, that the decrees of the Sovereign Ordainer, as related to fate and predestination, are of two kinds. Both are to be obeyed and accepted. The one is irrevocable, the other is, as termed by men, impending. To the former all must unreservedly submit, inasmuch as it is fixed and settled. God, however, is able to alter or repeal it. As the harm that must result from such a change will be greater than if the decree had remained unaltered, all, therefore, should willingly acquiesce in what God hath willed and confidently abide by the same.

The decree that is impending, however, is such that prayer and entreaty can succeed in averting it.

God grant that thou who art the fruit of My Tree, and they that are associated with thee, may be shielded from its evil consequences.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 133

Note that it says it “can succeed” not that it “will succeed.”

What that amounts to is that we are completely at the mercy of God.

Evil consequences do not sound like they are coming from an All-Loving God… What’s up with that?

I am sorry, but I cannot believe that God is All-Loving because of what I see in the world. Why would an All-Loving God create a world like this where some people suffer a lot and some people suffer hardly at all? How just is that?

The usual religious apologetic is that “we will know more in the afterlife” and that “all our suffering will be over in the afterlife,” but even if that is true, what good does that do us now? Not only has very little been revealed by God about that afterlife, but it has to be believed solely on faith.

Another religious apologetic is that “suffering makes us grow stronger,” and that might be true for some people, but not for all people. Aside from that, an omnipotent/omniscient God could have come up with a better way for us to grow stronger, Imo. Putting us through this torture chamber is not what I consider Loving. Of course, I do not expect people who have not suffered much and have been happy most of their lives to understand what I am saying. It is probably very easy for them to see God as All-Loving.

I am sure there will be the people who say they have suffered a lot but they still believe God is All-Loving. I am waiting to hear from them. Please bear in mind that what they call suffering might not have been so bad, and they have no way of knowing the suffering that other people have endured. As far as I am concerned the worst suffering anyone can endure is loss of a loved one, human or animal, another great part of God’s design. This might be a test, as in the Story of Job, but I cannot consider a God who does this to people en masse “Loving.”

Some people might say that death of a loved one is no big deal but nobody can understand the suffering of anyone else unless they have walked a mile in their moccasins.
Think about how a great fire heals big forests ...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I see suffering as part of the dance. In order to merge with Brahman, the soul needs to learn stuff, and 'suffering' is Siva's dance (method) to provide such lessons for us to get out of anava enough to see that it is attachment.
That is also what the Baha'is would say, but I consider it a religious apologetic.

That does not mean I do not think it is true, I just think it is mean, as there would have been another way to accomplish learning, IF God is omnipotent and omniscient.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is also what the Baha'is would say, but I consider it a religious apologetic.

That does not mean I do not think it is true, I just think it is mean, as there would have been another way to accomplish learning, IF God is omnipotent and omniscient.

I could never use 'mean' to describe Siva. Siva doesn't have human qualities. That's a projection by humans. It is what it is, His emanation. It's perfect, as it dances, shifts, like the Aurora Borealis. Suffering can be duty, as in a parent who feeds their children first, if the home has insufficient food. We live with suffering all our lives. Not accepting it only adds to the suffering.

Yes there are times when it's tougher. A mother seeing her child's head on a stick, or a husband forced to watch his wife and daughter get raped or vice versa, yes that's tough.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
That is true, we have to consider what Love means.
God's Love could be Love disguised in hate.
I think it's interesting.
In my longish life, I find that in the past I have tenaciously pursued \directions that. in retrospect, would ultimately have lead to disaster. I can remember increasingly strong nudges to divert. I guess I'm fairly strong willed, but eventually some pretty painful episode finally stopped me. It often hurt a lot, but looking back, I'm grateful.
Maybe analogous.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I could never use 'mean' to describe Siva. Siva doesn't have human qualities. That's a projection by humans.
Yes, I agree, it is a projection. We are human so that is what we do, but it is good to realize it.
It is what it is, His emanation. It's perfect, as it dances, shifts, like the Aurora Borealis.
That is a religious belief, for which there is absolutely no proof.
Suffering can be duty, as in a parent who feeds their children first, if the home has insufficient food. We live with suffering all our lives. Not accepting it only adds to the suffering.
I can agree with that too, but accepting it does not preclude wondering about it, wondering why it has to be this way.
Yes there are times when it's tougher. A mother seeing her child's head on a stick, or a husband forced to watch his wife and daughter get raped, yes that's tough.
And there are other things that are also tough. Moreover, what is really tough for one person is not that tough for others.

The question is, why did God have to make it this tough, and tougher for some than for others.
I do not expect that I will have the answer to that question until I die, but that doesn't stop me from asking. ;)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Because men create gods and they create gods which reflect their own characters including the flaws. One flaw being passing the buck instead of taking responsibility for their own paths and attachments. So they blame god for their own self imposed suffering. Some people actual believe God causes suffering in order to test his most cherished prizes. Sick really.

God didn't create suffering in the world because that God doesn't exist and if it did, it would not be worth the veneration people give it.