• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would a god select only the few?

Bear Wild

If one claims as the Abrahamic religions do that god is the one and only creator, why would that god only present himself to just a few isolated people in this world? Were they the only humans he cared about? Did he not like the rest of the humans that occupied the Earth? Did he not even think to present himself to other people of the Earth? For those that follow this god and feel comfortable with him fine, but to claim him the one and only true god when he only presented to an extremely small group of people in only one location of the world seems cruel to ignore everyone else. That would imply that this perfect one god ignored most of the world of humans. On the other hand if this is just one god of many then fine but that is not the claim.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Because it's a false view of God and not universal in the Abrahamic religions to boot. For example, in Judaism:

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Why? Because every human being has a root in the Unity, and to reject the minutest particle of the Unity is to reject it all.” Baal Shem Tov

“To me, religions are like languages: no language is true or false; all languages are of human origin; each language reflects and shapes the civilization that speaks it; there are things you can say in one language that you cannot say as well in another; and the more languages you learn, the more nuanced your understanding of life. Judaism is my mother tongue yet in matters of the spirit I strive to be multilingual. In the end, however, the deepest language of the soul is silence.” Rabbi Rami Shapiro

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If one claims as the Abrahamic religions do that god is the one and only creator, why would that god only present himself to just a few isolated people in this world? Were they the only humans he cared about? Did he not like the rest of the humans that occupied the Earth? Did he not even think to present himself to other people of the Earth? For those that follow this god and feel comfortable with him fine, but to claim him the one and only true god when he only presented to an extremely small group of people in only one location of the world seems cruel to ignore everyone else. That would imply that this perfect one god ignored most of the world of humans. On the other hand if this is just one god of many then fine but that is not the claim.
In this answer to your OP i will speak not from a P.O.V from Islam but as a free thinking person, so for those who may read this what i say here is not Sufism or Islam.

There can be a few ways to look at this.

1: God/Allah do speak to each and every human being all over the earth, but because we humans are different in ways we think, Allah give each area of people a bit different teaching (by a different name of God) so everyone can be able to understand and grasp it, and thereby have a chance to gain access to heaven.

2: There are a multitude of Gods who tries to give all humans a rightful and fair teaching.

3:All "spiritual" teachings are a human made product, and what is said in spiritual teachings are all false.

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
My religion and also Islam make the claim that God has come to every region to address them. They in turn passed on their message to the others. In the Americas, there are some that believe, I think with good reason that Messengers of God came to the indigenous peoples here, to a tribe or confederation of tribes. This is not an official view of the Baha'i Faith, however, though I share this point of view. At BahaiTeachings.org there is a series called Indigenous Messengers of God:

Series: Indigenous Messengers of God

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think it is only a problem if you claim there are negative consequences for not believing in God.

I personally don't, but I see your point with respect to the Abrahamic believers that claim there are negative consequences for not believing.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do not know why you believe this. God has presented Himself to various people all over the world at various times throughout human history. God presents Himself through Prophets who are sent to to various locations.
The Three Kinds of Prophets

It is however true that the God of Abraham only sent the universal Prophets like Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad to one place on earth and they spoke to one group of people, but that was the case because they had to appear somewhere in earth, they could not appear everywhere all at once.

Back in previous centuries the world was not all connected so the message of God could not spread from one continent to another but now that the world is connected and people can communicate across the world the message of God that was delivered to Baha'u'llah in the 19th century has spread around the globe.

King Phenomenon

I do not know why you believe this. God has presented Himself to various people all over the world at various times throughout human history. God presents Himself through Prophets who are sent to to various locations.
The Three Kinds of Prophets

It is however true that the God of Abraham only sent the universal Prophets like Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad to one place on earth and they spoke to one group of people, but that was the case because they had to appear somewhere in earth, they could not appear everywhere all at once.

Back in previous centuries the world was not all connected so the message of God could not spread from one continent to another but now that the world is connected and people can communicate across the world the message of God that was delivered to Baha'u'llah in the 19th century has spread around the globe.
God is incapable of not presenting himself at anytime even right this second

King Phenomenon

My religion and also Islam make the claim that God has come to every region to address them. They in turn passed on their message to the others. In the Americas, there are some that believe, I think with good reason that Messengers of God came to the indigenous peoples here, to a tribe or confederation of tribes. This is not an official view of the Baha'i Faith, however, though I share this point of view. At BahaiTeachings.org there is a series called Indigenous Messengers of God:

Series: Indigenous Messengers of God
God comes to every heart

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Because it makes Abrahamic god followers feel superior while dissing other religions

John1.12

Free gift
He came for Israel first programmatically ,for all the reasons given in The OT and NT .

Brian2

Veteran Member

God has reached out to all people in all cultures and times.
More was needed for salvation and so God worked in a special way through the Jews whom existed and still do for His purposes and as witnesses to Him and so He could send the Messiah through them, the promised one, the one prophesied about in their culture the one who came for the salvation of all people.
Jesus did what was necessary and now most of the whole world knows whom He is and why He came even though the deceiver blinds people to the truth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, I know of one Christian denomination who believes He showed himself to other people, but they are ridiculed by everybody else for believing it. Anyway, your question is a really good one.

Bear Wild

In this answer to your OP i will speak not from a P.O.V from Islam but as a free thinking person, so for those who may read this what i say here is not Sufism or Islam.

There can be a few ways to look at this.

1: God/Allah do speak to each and every human being all over the earth, but because we humans are different in ways we think, Allah give each area of people a bit different teaching (by a different name of God) so everyone can be able to understand and grasp it, and thereby have a chance to gain access to heaven.

2: There are a multitude of Gods who tries to give all humans a rightful and fair teaching.

3:All "spiritual" teachings are a human made product, and what is said in spiritual teachings are all false.

Thanks. I always appreciate your open attitude and kindness.

Bear Wild

Perhaps God does, but the people who do not hear Him either do not wish to hear Him, or expect to hear Him with their ears.

So you are saying that the only people in the entire world who wanted to hear him lived in the middle east? So no one else in the entire world wanted to hear for the one and only god?? Seriously?

Bear Wild

Thank you’re reading into it too much

No I am not! Followers of the Abrahamic religion claim they have the one true god that created everything but who only presented himself to only one group of people. Now if you are saying that the god of the Abrahamic faith is only one of many and know that theirs is not the only god that is fine. It is impossible to read to much into it when you are told their god was is the only true god. That is stated quite clear.