• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would a god select only the few?

CBM

The absolute monotheistic belief also created the intolerance that eliminated so many other religions in Europe. It was not you should believe, it was you must believe or die.

I think this is assuming a cause and effect where there is no clear link.
According to Judaism, Christianity doesn’t fit with the strict definition of monotheism - and in Europe it was primarily Christians at the forefront of eliminating other religions- if they’d had their way, Judaism would be history by now too. So I don’t think it’s fair to say monotheism is the cause here.

Also, just because my monotheism doesn’t accept the notion of other gods, does not mean I can’t recognize and appreciate a good person who happens to be polytheistic.
Tolerance and respect should not be conflated with agreement.

(And btw, I am deeply offended seeing how you will not tolerate my monotheism. I’m not serious, of course... but you see how certain beliefs are simply mutually exclusive, correct? That doesn’t mean we need to hate each other.)

CBM

On the other hand, though, there have been those Kabbalists who argued that the Sefirot are somehow divine in and of themselves, which naturally caused a storm and no-one really believes this anymore - but to many the idea of the Sefirot at all is bordering on something such as the Christians have with the Trinity.

I doesn’t to derail this thread, but I’m interested in knowing more about this. Any sources you can point me too?

In Judaism, the belief is that ultimately there is nothing but G-d. However, as a general rule, we are taught not to dwell on it since it’s beyond human comprehension and misunderstandings can lead people to adopt ideas incompatible with Judaism.

Bear Wild

According to Judaism, Christianity doesn’t fit with the strict definition of monotheism - and in Europe it was primarily Christians at the forefront of eliminating other religions- if they’d had their way, Judaism would be history by now too. So I don’t think it’s fair to say monotheism is the cause here.

Also, just because my monotheism doesn’t accept the notion of other gods, does not mean I can’t recognize and appreciate a good person who happens to be polytheistic.

(And btw, I am deeply offended seeing how you will not tolerate my monotheism. I’m not serious, of course... but you see how certain beliefs are simply mutually exclusive, correct? That doesn’t mean we need to hate each other.)

I absolutely tolerate you monotheism as long as you can accept my polytheism. It is the exclusivity that a total monotheism presents. From my perspective you have every right to believe in your god and only your god. When people of any religion start to say the have the one true god for everyone and imply what the believe is less true than theirs, that is when I have a problem. Respecting other peoples religion being valid and true for them is the necessary tolerance and removal of arrogance which is needed in this world.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I doesn’t to derail this thread, but I’m interested in knowing more about this. Any sources you can point me too?

In Judaism, the belief is that ultimately there is nothing but G-d. However, as a general rule, we are taught not to dwell on it since it’s beyond human comprehension and misunderstandings can lead people to adopt ideas incompatible with Judaism.
I heard it from Rabbi Bar-Hayim Should One Contemplate the Kabbalistic Sefirot? - YouTube

I don't do a lot of reading on Kabbalah as it's forbidden, and I don't know if you're aware of the above Rabbi but he's a straight-talker and not always everyone's cup of tea, I imagine. So unfortunately I could not point you to any more direct Kabbalistic sources.

Bear Wild

By the way I am glad you are here on the forum and look forward to hearing more from you.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
:thumbsup:

@CBM,

I've noticed a few questionable descriptions of the Angel Metatron in Zohar, which in my opinion go too far in its appellations making Metatron into a being as opposed to a vector of divine will. The section, iir, where I saw this is called Raaya Mehemna, the Faithful Shepard.

On the one hand, Rabbi Shnuer Zalman the first Chabad Rebbe in the Tanya quotes Raaya Mehemna as a valid source; while scholars like Daniel C. Matt deem it a late addition which may have been influenced or corrupted by non-Jewish sources. Because of this, the Raaya Mehemna was ommitted from the Stanford University translation fo the Zohar which Daniel C. Matt ( and others ) developed.

My personal opinion is that the Zohar and its received traditions are not heretical. It's simply a factor of putting these lofty concepts into written words.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...................- but to many the idea of the Sefirot at all is bordering on something such as the Christians have with the Trinity. Just wanted to throw that out there :D

I find it is 'Christendom' (so-called Christian) bordering on something such as their Trinity.
Jesus never taught he was his own God but to worship his God - John 4:23-24.
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still thinks he has a God over him as per John at Revelation 3:12.
John wrote that pre-human Jesus was the beginning of the creation by God according to Revelation 3:14.
John also wrote that Jesus was "IN" the beginning, never wrote that Jesus was "BEFORE" the beginning.
Psalm 90:2 lets us know that God is from everlasting meaning No beginning, whereas pre-human heavenly Jesus was "IN" the beginning but Never "BEFORE" the beginning as his God was "BEFORE" the beginning.

If one claims as the Abrahamic religions do that god is the one and only creator, why would that god only present himself to just a few isolated people in this world? Were they the only humans he cared about? Did he not like the rest of the humans that occupied the Earth? Did he not even think to present himself to other people of the Earth? For those that follow this god and feel comfortable with him fine, but to claim him the one and only true god when he only presented to an extremely small group of people in only one location of the world seems cruel to ignore everyone else. That would imply that this perfect one god ignored most of the world of humans. On the other hand if this is just one god of many then fine but that is not the claim.

This sounds like the argument from divine hiddenness, but I could be mistaken. I have yet to come across an answer to it that makes sense.