• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

Messianic Israelite

Hello back, and all I was saying is that if it's wrong to use "God" instead of "YHWH", then why did you repeatedly use "God"?

IMO, a name is just a name, and probably most of us have more than just 1. My wife has a lotta names for me, but I can't post some of them on a religious site. ;) Yes, "YHWH" was highly revered in Judaism, and I can understand why, although there's much debate as to where it actually comes from and why. Either way, I don't lose any sleep over it.

Hi metis. Good evening. Based on Exodus 23:13 I don't mention the names of other mighty ones out of my mouth. We in the Assemblies of Yahweh do not use Adonai, or Hashem, G-d, or L-rd to address Yahweh. We worship the Father in spirit and in truth, just as we are instructed in John 4:23. As I said already, you may not lose any sleep over addressing Yahweh by His Name, but I would. That's because all the scriptures teach that Yahweh's Name is His memorial to all generations (Exodus 3:15). Look up the word memorial and see for yourself that Yahweh's Name has not been forgotten. It is not something obscure that people cannot know as one individual on this board is saying. If we desire to be close to Yahweh, which all of us have to be in order to be in His Kingdom, we must use His Name.

I know it's very easy to brush aside the Sacred Name when you do not know the Bible, but when you have read it and studied it and realise the zeal Yahweh has for His Name and the exclusivity of His worship, and even the Laws in the Bible which relate to using His Name and not substituting it, we cannot, if we claim to love Yahweh, turn to using other terms to address Yahweh. Yahweh has a Name. We know what that Name is. It is not Jehovah, it is not Yahovah or even Yahveh, it is Yahweh. We confront the Truth in our faith. We do not get distracted with false doctrines and false names, explaining away any part of the Bible as irrelevant.

If we want eternal life, we will keep the commandments of Yahweh, and that includes using His Name, just as third commandment implies.

You may well have more than one name which you are called. They are called nick names. Yahweh has one Name. He expects His people to address Him by His Name. Those that do not show lack of consideration towards Him. Yahshua instructed that the two great commandments are to love Yahweh first and foremost and to love our neighbor as ourselves. How can we love Yahweh when we cast His Name on the ground as if it is nothing, substituting it and blaspheming it. I hope you realize that the Beast in Revelation 13:1 has blasphemous names. How could you recognise the Beast of Revelation if you do not accept the only True Name of Yahweh? Some things to think about it and I hope you come to change your mind on this subject. It could be a matter of eternal life or death for you.

Feel free to purchase the scholarly book The Memorial Name Yahweh book from the Assemblies of Yahweh for an in-depth study on the subject.

Messianic Israelite

It is, and the very fact that you so irrationally deny it... Sorry, I just deleted the rest of your post. I don't waste my time on people who say the earth is flat.
Hi IndigoChild5559. Good evening. I hope you are well. I don't claim that the earth is flat. Neither does the Bible claim that the earth is flat. I already quoted from the Encyclopaedia Judaica which states forthrightly that the Name Yahweh was not forgotten, but "Several early Greek writers of the Christian Church testify that the name was pronounced 'Yahweh'” (Encyclopaedia Judaica, vol. 7, p. 680). So are you saying you know more than the Encyclopaedia Judaica? What about the Bible translators who have confirmed that Yahweh is the most accurate transliteration of the Name in to English? Take for example Doctor J.M.Power Smith, the editor of the Smith-Goodspeed version. He said "If you wish to retain the flavor of the original text we have but to read Yahweh whenever we see L-RD and G-D". Yahweh's Name is known among scholarly circles, and even among Jews.

Have you ever encountered the Hebrew word 'olahm'. What does this word mean to you? This word is connected to Yahweh's Name in Exodus 3:15. The Hebrew and Chaldee dictionary in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance lists the word as #5769 and defines it as concealed, to the vanishing point, time out of mind, [practically] eternity, always. The more modern Holladay Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament defines olahm as a long time, constancy, all coming time, English usage eternity or eternal. The second definition is for all time. FOR EVER. Consequently, it is obvious from these definitions, which incidentally all agree, that when speaking of the Almighty who is everlasting and eternal Himself, this word olahm must relate to an endlessness.

His chosen personal Name must endure forever. It will never change. It is specified and recorded for all time. We can always know the true Name of the Almighty Heavenly Father, Yahweh, at any time in the future, by simply returning to the Hebrew text from which our translations were made. It will always appear there. Therefore His Name is vitally important for us to know and to understand, because it means an endless existence for those who call upon it in truth.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I know it's very easy to brush aside the Sacred Name when you do not know the Bible, but when you have read it and studied it and realise the zeal Yahweh has for His Name and the exclusivity of His worship, and even the Laws in the Bible which relate to using His Name and not substituting it, we cannot, if we claim to love Yahweh, turn to using other terms to address Yahweh.
I taught Christian theology to adults for 15 years and that doesn't include teaching a comparative religions course for two years. For you to imply that I'm a novice on this is both insulting and arrogant.

Messianic Israelite

I taught Christian theology to adults for 15 years and that doesn't include teaching a comparative religions course for two years. For you to imply that I'm a novice on this is both insulting and arrogant.
Hi metis. Good afternoon. Then you'll know with the Name mentioned over 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, and the most frequently used term in the Hebrew Scriptures, that such a subject is not something to be taken lightly. I hope I don't come across as condescending, however, I find it truly baffling when people who have studied the Bible cannot see the importance of using His Name. Isaiah 42:8 says "I am Yahweh, that is my name and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to carved images". Yahweh will not tolerate glory being given to another name other than His own, and in the Kingdom of Yahweh all will be worshiping Yahweh.

metis

Hi metis. Good afternoon. Then you'll know with the Name mentioned over 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, and the most frequently used term in the Hebrew Scriptures, that such a subject is not something to be taken lightly. I hope I don't come across as condescending, however, I find it truly baffling when people who have studied the Bible cannot see the importance of using His Name. Isaiah 42:8 says "I am Yahweh, that is my name and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to carved images". Yahweh will not tolerate glory being given to another name other than His own, and in the Kingdom of Yahweh all will be worshiping Yahweh.
So, you don't actually believe in Jesus with his citing of his Two Commandments?

The Tanakh cites many names for God, and yes one is very special, and I don't take it lightly. So?

BTW, the vowels were not used, thus it should be "YHWH" using English letters. How it was originally pronounced is anyone's guess.

Amazing that Moses is such an expert on a God he only met recently after an entire life of worshiping Egyptian Gods.
Moses' own mother, a servant of God and a slave to Pharoah's daughter taught him. After Pharoah's daughter found Moses in the water she had his mother found.

Saying he worshipped Egyptian gods is something you claim but scripture makes zero claim of that.

Jedster

This article claims that the voweling for the Tetragrammaton has been discovered in some ancient Torah scrolls.

Here is the inro

The original Hebrew name of God re-discovered in 1,000 Bible manuscripts​

On January 21, 2018, Bible Scholar Nehemia Gordon and his team of researchers discovered the 1,000th Hebrew Bible manuscript containing the original name of God in Hebrew with vowels.​

rosends

This article claims that the voweling for the Tetragrammaton has been discovered in some ancient Torah scrolls.

Here is the inro

On January 21, 2018, Bible Scholar Nehemia Gordon and his team of researchers discovered the 1,000th Hebrew Bible manuscript containing the original name of God in Hebrew with vowels.​

is that a serious article? C'mon...

metis

Here is the inro

Highly unlikely if it goes back to biblical times as no Hebrew then used vowels.

vulcanlogician

Christian translators have adopted the Jewish tradition of avoiding the casual use of God's divine name by substituting Lord. It is an issue of respect. And there is a practical matter as well. How do you represent God's name in English letters? We only know the consonants, not the vowels. We have no idea how to pronounce "YHWH." Jehovah is a very very bad guess, since we know for sure that the J sound does not exist in Hebrew.

Messianic Israelite

So, you don't actually believe in Jesus with his citing of his Two Commandments?

The Tanakh cites many names for God, and yes one is very special, and I don't take it lightly. So?

BTW, the vowels were not used, thus it should be "YHWH" using English letters. How it was originally pronounced is anyone's guess.
Hi metis. Good evening. Yahshua said regarding those two commandments in Matthew 22:34-40 "36 Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 And he said to him, You shall love Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second like unto it is this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments the whole law hangs, and the prophets." The other laws are still necessary for us to obey, they simply hang on these Laws which already exist in the Hebrew Scriptures. If you have a clothes rail, you hang all your clothes on that rail. It doesn't mean the rail only exists, but that is the structure to which all the other items hang. The clothes are important part of the clothes rail, and without them the rail itself would be pointless.

In the Bible, Yahweh has one Name. The Name Yahweh is always referred to in the singular. Yahweh has many titles, but only one Name.

In terms of your argument that how the Name was originally pronounced has been lost. It simply isn't true. That's why most scholars will use the Name Yahweh when referring to Elohim of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. You say the first syllable of the Name in the word HalleluYah. Hallel means Praise, whilst Yah is the abbreviated form of the Name Yahweh. Therefore HalleluYah means Praise Yahweh. Do you know how to pronounce the Name HalleluYah? Of course you do. Just as you know how to pronounce other names with the form Yah in. I have already explained that you can prove the Name Yahweh by treating the letters in the Tetragrammaton as vowels. You have studied the Bible for 15+ years so you know that in the Bible, the Name is mentioned as being something that is known, something that won't be forgotten and something vitally important for our salvation (something that can be pronounced by all and used).

Ever read Joel 2:32?

"32 And it shall come to pass, that whoever shall call on the name of Yahweh shall be delivered; for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those that escape, as Yahweh has said, and among the remnant those whom Yahweh does call." (The Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition)

Kelly of the Phoenix

Moses' own mother, a servant of God and a slave to Pharoah's daughter taught him. After Pharoah's daughter found Moses in the water she had his mother found.

Saying he worshipped Egyptian gods is something you claim but scripture makes zero claim of that.
Moses' mom supposedly nursed him. That happens during infancy. You aren't going to get into theology during a kid's infancy unless you are really clueless about how brains work. He was raised as an Egyptian until adulthood.

metis

In terms of your argument that how the Name was originally pronounced has been lost. It simply isn't true.
The Name publicly was said once a year by the Temple priest on Yom Kipper, and since the Temple hasn't existed for 2000 years now, the name could not and cannot be pronounced out loud.

Secondly, you cannot get it through your head that Jesus' Two Commandments simply does not hinge on saying the Name out loud, and your repeating that over and over again doesn't miraculously make it right. Thus, all you are doing is to do what Paul warned us about, namely that we shouldn't be sowing division amongst the Flock.

Thirdly, I'm done.

Moses' mom supposedly nursed him. That happens during infancy. You aren't going to get into theology during a kid's infancy unless you are really clueless about how brains work. He was raised as an Egyptian until adulthood.
It shows that he had access to his mother. There are no scriptures saying he worshipped as the Egyptians did. Thats you adding to what isnt there. What is there is that he knew where he came from.
Ex 2:11 "Now in those days, after Moses had become an adult, he went out to his brothers to look at the burdens they were bearing, and he caught sight of an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brothers."

Im getting the sense you like to try to contradict what the scriptures say so you can plant seeds of doubt. If you cant believe it no one else should either?

Messianic Israelite

The Name publicly was said once a year by the Temple priest on Yom Kipper, and since the Temple hasn't existed for 2000 years now, the name could not and cannot be pronounced out loud.

Secondly, you cannot get it through your head that Jesus' Two Commandments simply does not hinge on saying the Name out loud, and your repeating that over and over again doesn't miraculously make it right. Thus, all you are doing is to do what Paul warned us about, namely that we shouldn't be sowing division amongst the Flock.

Thirdly, I'm done.
Hi metis. Good evening. I would like you to show me in the Bible the commandment which says the Name of Yahweh is only ever to be pronounced once a year. The Name of Yahweh was used frequently by the people of the Bible. Every time the term THE L-RD appears in all caps in the Bible was when the Name of Yahweh was pronounced. Even reading the Psalms, you see scriptures like Psalm 18:49 "Therefore I will give thanks to you, O Yahweh among the nations, And will sing praises to your name". And Yahshua our Savior used the Name of Yahweh. Why do you think they accused him of blasphemy (Matthew 26:64-66), which according to the Mishna (the Sanhedrin section), says the blasphemer is not culpable unless he pronounces the Name itself.

Further, I'm certainly not saying that the Two Great Commandments which Yahshua referred to only refers to the Name. However, loving Yahweh will include not substituting His Name. In terms of sowing division among the flock, I have no idea what you mean. Division only comes about when people turn about and do not wish to adhere to some aspect of Yahweh's Covenant. Yahshua our Savior clearly said he came not to bring peace, but a sword (Matthew 10:34). There can be no peace when people do not want to adhere to the Law of Yahweh. That's the division. If you feel that what I am saying is dividing, consider whether it is dividing you, or dividing the Word. I am not guilty of dividing the Word. Yahweh's Name is of vital importance to the people of Yahweh and in Revelation it clearly tells us that the 144,000 will have the Name of the Heavenly Father and His Son written on their foreheads (Revelation 14:1).

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There is no J sound in Hebrew, that's true. That doesn't mean it cannot be translated or transliterated to an extent to another language that uses a J sound for perhaps a Y sound. So would you say it would be improper to say Jerusalem or Joshua or Jericho, etc.?
jesus referred to it as the Father and references the name in Our Father who are in heaven, hallowed be thy name. naming something gives the illusion of power over it. you can't define an infinite. an infinite is more so an action than it is a noun. if it's a noun, it's more so a deverbal noun.