• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
---> ignore-list
Actually what many from various religions or sects claiming to support their viewpoints by the scriptures demonstrate so succinctly here, as one person said "the road is narrow leading to life and few would find it."

YoursTrue

the name isn't unique to jesus. god isn't a respecter of persons. this is why everyone that is baptized/immersed into the name should ruminate upon the name yet not take it in vain.

naming something gives the false impression of knowing something. to often as a object separate from self. the term in 3:15 is possibly derived from the name in 3:14 which makes it a deverbal noun. so that which is infinite can't be limited to anything. you can hint at it but dualist see it as something limited/separated from other. it can't be and be infinite = eternal = everlasting.

View attachment 80404
Jesus is the son. Obviously there are many named Jesus, some in the Bible, too.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Simply not true. Yes, the 4 Hebrew letters can be determined to be recognizable by utterance. Sorry to say but for me to see your answers is sad. Very sad. And unjustifiable, another reason why I do not accept your so called reasoning on matters.
nope. without knowledge of the vowels, you have no idea how to pronounce it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Jesus is the son. Obviously there are many named Jesus, some in the Bible, too.
i don't have a problem with jesus being the son

but unconditional love doesn't allow one to be loved more than another.

acts 17:28
28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

1 John 3:1-2
3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

YoursTrue

nope. without knowledge of the vowels, you have no idea how to pronounce it.
There were no vowels in the written documents until later. Much later. Doesn't matter though because the letters remained the same. Good thing for some. :) No getting around it about the name when a different word is used but that's not the reason the Divine Name of the God of Moses, Abraham and Jacob is hidden by many, as you probably know. You can't change the reality, sorry. The reality is that no "original" pronunciation of Hebrew is known today.
Besides, if ancient Hebrew were spoken suddenly today, quite likely a native Israeli today wouldn't understand anything.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
Jesus came from heaven. It's not the easiest to understand but it's a miracle, meaning beyond what is normally, naturally known. Jesus died so others might live. What does unconditional love have to do with this anyway?

IndigoChild5559

There were no vowels in the written documents until later. Much later. Doesn't matter though because the letters remained the same. Good thing for some. :) No getting around it about the name when a different word is used but that's not the reason the Divine Name of the God of Moses, Abraham and Jacob is hidden by many, as you probably know. You can't change the reality, sorry. The reality is that no "original" pronunciation of Hebrew is known today.
Besides, if ancient Hebrew were spoken suddenly today, quite likely a native Israeli today wouldn't understand anything.
I don't think the divine name is hidden by anyone. It simply is not said because we have lost knowledge of the pronunciation. You mentioned vowel points being added later in history. That is true, but the knowledge of the vowels was lost BEFORE that, so those vowel points are only guesses.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Jesus came from heaven. It's not the easiest to understand but it's a miracle, meaning beyond what is normally, naturally known. Jesus died so others might live. What does unconditional love have to do with this anyway?
everything comes from god. god is heaven. again if god unconditionally loves then god is not a respecter of persons.

YoursTrue

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as h

everything comes from god. god is heaven. again if god unconditionally loves then god is not a respecter of persons.
God is heaven? Where did you get that from?

YoursTrue

I don't think the divine name is hidden by anyone. It simply is not said because we have lost knowledge of the pronunciation. You mentioned vowel points being added later in history. That is true, but the knowledge of the vowels was lost BEFORE that, so those vowel points are only guesses.
Sure it is. It's covered over substituting the term Lord for the tetragrammaton. Not even close. Good that you admitted the sounds of all ancient Hebrew was lost long ago. Good for you!!

IndigoChild5559

Sure it is. It's covered over substituting the term Lord for the tetragrammaton. Not even close. Good that you admitted the sounds of all ancient Hebrew was lost long ago. Good for you!!
No, being respectful with the divine name by not using it casually in a mere translation is NOT the same as hiding it. It is VERY clear when it is in the text, because the word LORD is in all caps. So, nothing hidden.

YoursTrue

No, being respectful with the divine name by not using it casually in a mere translation is NOT the same as hiding it. It is VERY clear when it is in the text, because the word LORD is in all caps. So, nothing hidden.
You can't be respectful when you cover over a word, taking it out of translation more or less. Sorry, but the actual pronunciation of Hebrew was lost long ago -- I think you probably know it.

YoursTrue

There are many translations. One thing I have to say is that at least (thank GOD) the Hebrew letters are not "covered over." God himself did not permit that. But many who go to synagogue or church or any other religion may not KNOW THAT God's name is not the LORD.

YoursTrue

That’s not what she said…. and I think you know it.
Talking about pronunciation. Are you saying the original sounds are known today of ancient Hebrew? But that's not the issue, is it?

IndigoChild5559

You can't be respectful when you cover over a word, taking it out of translation more or less. Sorry, but the actual pronunciation of Hebrew was lost long ago -- I think you probably know it.
Again, there is no covering, no removing, because we aren't talking about the Hebrew text. Your discussion is about mere translations. And even in the translations, I always know exactly when the divine name is being used because LORD is in all caps.

Look, you are repeating yourself. I am repeating myself. That pretty much means the discussion is over. You can have the last word if you wish.