• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Christendom is a word that by the 14thc. was used by Mediaevals to designate their Christian world. It occurs in Old English.

This is your interpretation. Your statement that it "does not mean" something is as persuasive to me as my statement that "it does mean" would be to you. Your calling something lying or deception is likewise just your opinion and not really useful.
When people read the scriptures and a word is intentionally substituted for another because of tradition by the editors, then yes -- it is deception. Even if there is an explanation in small print, many people go to church and don't read their Bibles much anyway. Or know that point. Of course when Jesus offered what is called the "Lord's prayer," he said (in many versions), "Hallowed by thy NAME." He didn't say don't use the name. I could go further but I won't out of respect.
Also, to deliberately leave out God's name as Moses wrote it and others wrote it in the early documents, is a sin.
In some English Bibles they are honest enough to have a brief explanation as to the name at Psalm 83:18, and some Bibles do have the name written out.
Psalm 83:18 King James Version
plus more
Also Exodus 6:3.

YoursTrue

This is your interpretation. Your statement that it "does not mean" something is as persuasive to me as my statement that "it does mean" would be to you. Your calling something lying or deception is likewise just your opinion and not really useful.
God is the Judge.

rosends

When people read the scriptures and a word is intentionally substituted for another because of tradition by the editors, then yes -- it is deception.
No it isn't (unless you want to say that reading the text in translation is the same sin because the editors have chosen to replace ALL the Hebrew words with those in another language).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So question --
Which God do you think Jesus was referring to? Any god?
That is truly a dumb question as the vast majority of Christians well know whom they're praying to, plus there are numerous names for God in the Tanakh. Therefore, all you are doing is "beating a dead horse", which is why I ignore the vast majority of your posts.

His name is God for me. I’m not jehovah so I’m not calling him Yahweh
You are welcome to your own beliefs. If you believe the scriptures are from God, however, its important to follow them. "Lean not on your own understanding",

"The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?" Jer 17:9

I have no idea what this means: "I’m not jehovah so I’m not calling him Yahweh"
Jehovah and Yhwh are the same God.

King Phenomenon

You are welcome to your own beliefs. If you believe the scriptures are from God, however, its important to follow them. "Lean not on your own understanding",

"The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?" Jer 17:9

Jehova witness

King Phenomenon

Everything is from god imo, but everything is not true

YoursTrue

It
That is truly a dumb question as the vast majority of Christians well know whom they're praying to, plus there are numerous names for God in the Tanakh. Therefore, all you are doing is "beating a dead horse", which is why I ignore the vast majority of your posts.
Is not a dumb question. At all. There were gods of the nations around Israel that were not, definitely not, the only true God Jesus referred to. This God was the God that spoke to Moses, but you likely think that was a made up story too. Perhaps you think Jesus was referring to the Greek gods too as the only true God?

YoursTrue

You say now that the vast majority of Christians know who they are praying to. They do? Why not discuss prayers to Mary and Joseph? Let's count up the times these so-called "numerous names" of God you say are in the Bible. Which ones are covered over anyway, now that you're bringing that up.

YoursTrue

That is truly a dumb question as the vast majority of Christians well know whom they're praying to, plus there are numerous names for God in the Tanakh. Therefore, all you are doing is "beating a dead horse", which is why I ignore the vast majority of your post
Numerous names? How many?
I'm glad you ignore them which tells me how prejudiced some, including self assumed so-called scholars are. You won't answer because you'll be shown up as...wrong. The king James Bible at least has the name JEHOVAH 4 times ACCURATELY written in English instead of the usual coverup LORD. At least they were honest in the early editions. It is actually written many, many more times. Yes, the sound of J is not in Hebrew. So go say Yeshua instead of Jesus why don't you. You can't back your statements up. It doesn't matter. Do you think Jesus even existed as written? I doubt it. Did he offer the Lord's prayer? Did he mean to the disciples to pray to Apollos or other Greek gods? Speak up. Did he say "our Father in heaven let your name be covered over so we do not misuse it?"

YoursTrue

Good.

YoursTrue

No it isn't (unless you want to say that reading the text in translation is the same sin because the editors have chosen to replace ALL the Hebrew words with those in another language).
If that is how you see it, ok, I'm out of that classroom. In other words, ridiculous, not even a good try. Bye for now...hope things get better for you and you see things for what they are, not what you turn them out to be.

YoursTrue

Read it or not, the Tetragrammaton, the divine name of the ONE TRUE GOD of Moses and Jesus is written in Hebrew over 6,000 times and sadly misrepresented in some translations by design as Lord with capital letters sometimes. You know that but seemingly refuse to admit the truth. Thanks for the instruction, shows me a few things. Bye for now.

rosends

If that is how you see it, ok, I'm out of that classroom. In other words, ridiculous, not even a good try. Bye for now...hope things get better for you and you see things for what they are, not what you turn them out to be.
When you have an actual and substantive response let me know. Until then, your running is noted.